FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Better Business Class from MAD: 75L or 763? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1408656-better-business-class-mad-75l-763-a.html)

chewylouie Nov 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Better Business Class from MAD: 75L or 763?

Any thoughts ??/ From MAdrid to ORD.......757 or 763 ??/

I know what to expect from the 763 but never took the 757 first

Thanks for you're thoughts

brp Nov 18, 2012 4:26 pm

The Seats section of the FAQ at the top of the page (where is says "Please check here first") has a lot of information about the various seats because, as you can imagine, very basic questions like this come up often.

Cheers.

will2288 Nov 18, 2012 4:53 pm

There are some minor differences, as mentioned in various threads. The biggest one is that the 757 has built-in screens while the 763 uses tablets.

But basically, they are the same.

I think timings and routings would weigh more heavily into my decision than 757/763.

tom911 Nov 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by chewylouie (Post 19707290)

If you're flying across the Atlantic you won't be taking either in first, as they're two cabin aircraft. The front cabin will be sold as business. I have a preference towards the 767 just because of the wider cabin. I have done the 757 before to Spain, Ireland and Belgium and it works fine, but if you have the option, I'd take the 767-300. Entertainment is similar enough that it doesn't come into play in my selections (though upgrade availability certainly does). I have plenty of meal photos from prior flights linked below in the AA gallery.

ESpen36 Nov 18, 2012 5:02 pm

763. Widebody beats narrowbody any day of the week in my book. Also, the DG seats are the best because you don't have to climb over or be climbed over in order to access the aisle.

UncleDude Nov 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by chewylouie (Post 19707290)
Any thoughts ??/ From MAdrid to ORD.......757 or 763 ??/

Thanks for you're thoughts

My Thoughts are neither..Its operated by Iberia with an A 330 or 340.

Fitch7600 Nov 18, 2012 9:47 pm

If you prefer an aisle seat, the 763 has an advantage because, as ESpen36 says, the DG seats give you an aisle without someone needing to climb over to you. If you prefer a window anyway, I'd say the 75L is the way to go. The seats are a little wider, they are newer, and they have built in AVOD. I don't care much for the Samsung tablets on the 767, and they collect them with an hour to go.

atxtraveler Nov 19, 2012 12:16 am

Just enjoyed the 763 from JFK-BCN in J... definitely recommend the wide body for seating, IFE was irrelevant because i slept

sk3 Nov 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 19708693)
My Thoughts are neither..Its operated by Iberia with an A 330 or 340.

:D

I figured the OP was trying to decide between which connecting flight from ORD to take: JFK-MAD on a 757, or MIA-MAD, DFW-MAD on 763s...

I've never flown a 757 TATLy, but I have enjoyed many trips on 763s in business.

Stripe Nov 19, 2012 10:45 pm

I have done both the 757 and 763 TATL. I thought the 757 was perfectly fine. The seats are basically identical. Upgrade chances, schedule, preference on US port of entry, and price would all be more important to me than type of aircraft (if the choice were between these two).

sdsearch Nov 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe (Post 19715251)
I have done both the 757 and 763 TATL. I thought the 757 was perfectly fine. The seats are basically identical. Upgrade chances, schedule, preference on US port of entry, and price would all be more important to me than type of aircraft (if the choice were between these two).

One thing of note is that 75L's (the kind of 757s with NGBC seating in Business have their own designator 75L) are only used on shorter flights. Which means less sleep time. If you're starting out from the middle of the country (like the OP from ORD), some might find DFW-MAD preferable eastbound simply because it gives you more time to sleep than JFK-MAD. (DFW-MAD flies reasonably near JFK along the way, and it takes it hours to get to that vicinity.)

For this reason (as someone based on the west coast), I would not tend to choose a 75L to a place where there are other options.

And if I had to fly a 75L, I'd try to eat before the flight (easier if you have long connection) so that I could skip the meal and get right to sleep on the 75L. (In fact, that's what I did the one time I flew the 75L, when my DFW-MAD flight had a technical problem and diverted to JFK. AA rebooked me on the 75L JFK-MAD the next day, but that meant I had long connection time, and indeed spend many hours in the FL, and found the food there sufficient, given the freeness :), to eliminate the need to eat dinner onboard the flight.)

Obviously, this would tend to be a consideration only going eastbound.

Finally, I prefer not to have anyone climb over me or for me to need to climb over anyone (especially while the other is sleeping). That's impossible on the 75L, but you have at least a 33% chance of it on the 763 with randomly-assigned seats, and a much better chance if your upgrade clears in time for some D or G seat to still be avialable. Though obviously, if you prefer an actual window seat, the 75L wins there, because it's got 50% window seats, while the 763 has only 25% window seats.

Microwave Nov 21, 2012 1:54 am

Thread title has been updated to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator

UncleDude Nov 21, 2012 4:06 am

Originally Posted by sk3 (Post 19714722)
:D

I figured the OP was trying to decide between which connecting flight from ORD to take: JFK-MAD on a 757, or MIA-MAD, DFW-MAD on 763s...

I've never flown a 757 TATLy, but I have enjoyed many trips on 763s in business.

But the OP asked about Westbound flight from MAD..so why look at flights ex USA? Also if the OP is looking at Connections from MAD to ORD why was the 777 via London not mentioned?

zphelj Nov 21, 2012 7:30 am

All things being equal I'd take the 763 because of the aisle access, widebody configuration, and tablet based entertainment system. It's just a more comfortable ride in my humble opinion.

billgrates3 Nov 21, 2012 9:45 am

Earlier this year, I flew DFW-MAD on the 763 and returned via JFK on the 75L.
While I agree with other FTers about the D/G seats on the 763, I thought the seat was a wee bit wider and better on the 75L.

As for IFE, I usuallly use my 15" Macbook Pro. The IFE on the 75L is widescreen and fairly high quality. IMHO, while I like the 10" Galaxy Tablets, the display is a bit dim, even when I adjusted brightness to max.... so, with some movies, I found many scenes hard to see, even in a darkened cabin.

p.s. Frankly, however, since I am an upgrader working for a non-profit that can never pay F or J fares, I am so glad to be upfront that the minor differences between 75L and 763 seem of little importance!