Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Agent at RDU: AA is "cracking down" on Gate Passes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Agent at RDU: AA is "cracking down" on Gate Passes

Don't know how true this is, but there's a long discussion on the UA page about getting a gate pass if you're a United Club member.

Anyway, I arrived really early to pick up my brother last week at RDU and I figured it would be a nice treat if I was waiting at the gate. I asked a ticketing agent about a gate pass and she told me they were only now available for UMs and that AA is "cracking down" on the issuing of passes. I asked about Admirals Club members (never a problem in the past) and was told that didn't change the situation.

Seems a silly thing for her/AA to get so worked up over.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe a local thing? But the AC gate pass generally is available contacting Club 'phone number 24 hours in advance; though some of us have been fortunate having them issued by the ticket counter agents, it's not to be expected.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
just out of curiosity, do gate passes cost the airlines anything? is it something they have to pay to the airport?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The agent's denial of the OP's request is precisely why full Y tickets are still very useful. I sometimes change my mind about travel at the last minute and decide not to fly.

I was under the impression that gate passes generally were issued only for UM for the past 11 years (ever since the federal government banned non-flyers from the sterile area nationwide).

Club access reservations are a whole other animal, and the 24hr notice has long been the rule.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Maybe a local thing? But the AC gate pass generally is available contacting Club 'phone number 24 hours in advance; though some of us have been fortunate having them issued by the ticket counter agents, it's not to be expected.
Just ran into this at ORD. Was told it's actually the TSA that's cracking down, asking for 24-hour advance notice, but finally did get the gate pass after the agent had someone in back contact TSA.

By the way, my "gate pass" looked just like a legitimate Y ticket for a non-existant flight. Are they always like that? (IIRC correctly the UA ones are clearly identified as just gate passes.)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The agent's denial of the OP's request is precisely why full Y tickets are still very useful. I sometimes change my mind about travel at the last minute and decide not to fly.

I was under the impression that gate passes generally were issued only for UM for the past 11 years (ever since the federal government banned non-flyers from the sterile area nationwide).

Club access reservations are a whole other animal, and the 24hr notice has long been the rule.
I considered buying/canceling a Y ticket, but do wonder if this sort of behavior would at some point get flagged by AA and/or TSA and perhaps damage my Trusted Traveler status.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:09 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
I considered buying/canceling a Y ticket, but do wonder if this sort of behavior would at some point get flagged by AA and/or TSA and perhaps damage my Trusted Traveler status.
Nope, it will do no such thing.

Fully Refundable Ticket. No muss, no fuss. No one should ever have to seek permission to go airside.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
It's enough of a pain getting through security and people lined up for boarding and blocking the halls and to add unnecessary people to the secure area is a poor idea.

It also costs both the airlines and the airport/government to deal with these people who can't wait 5 minutes for someone to walk to baggage claim. Seems a silly thing for a non-passenger to get worked up over.

Good for RDU!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Spiff
No muss, no fuss. No one should ever have to seek permission to go airside.
Personally I don't think anyone should go air-side without a genuine intention to fly, or a need to accompany a minor.

This is not some 'right' that is being infringed and encouraging people to gain access air-side on false pretenses is in my opinion irresponsible.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
It's enough of a pain getting through security and people lined up for boarding and blocking the halls and to add unnecessary people to the secure area is a poor idea.

It also costs both the airlines and the airport/government to deal with these people who can't wait 5 minutes for someone to walk to baggage claim. Seems a silly thing for a non-passenger to get worked up over.

Good for RDU!
While I certainly agree with you in theory, this was at 9 PM on a Thursday night. There is literally one more flight of the night (a late RDU-DCA) so I was hardly going to clog anything.

That's also the reason I didn't want to risk a refundable ticket, with only one flight left, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to cancel it in time.

Also...who said I was worked up?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:31 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Personally I don't think anyone should go air-side without a genuine intention to fly, or a need to accompany a minor.

This is not some 'right' that is being infringed and encouraging people to gain access air-side on false pretenses is in my opinion irresponsible.
I don't agree at all. If someone wants to go airside, that's their affair. It is no one else's business.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

I don't see anyone getting worked up over this, except perhaps you. (Your post could be read as your being worked up about it; apologies if I'm wrong!) When my elderly parents fly in for a visit, I always find it to be a really nice and appreciated gesture for my daughter and me to greet them at the gate. It certainly would not be the end of the world if we had to wait the 20 minutes for them to emerge (they're old, so they walk slow and always need to stop for the bathroom, so it's 20 minutes, not 5), but nor should anyone get worked up if we buy a refundable ticket to get through security.

If you buy a ticket, then you have a "right" to be airside. Simple as that.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

Respectfully, I disagree. My brother-in law, at 60, whom I love dearly, has ADD at lightspeed. One of us (today it was me) always walks him to the gate. We try to co-ordinate his travel into DFW and out, around our own. Sometimes that just can't be done. And he is certainly someone we don't feel comfortable kissing goodbye to at the curb.

Just sayin'
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred

Good for RDU!

Opinions vary, but AC access when not flying with 24 hour notice is a published benefit of AC membership.

It sounds like RDU is simply conforming to the published rules. MCI was always glad to issue a gate pass to any AC member that walked up, but alas, that AC is now closed.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:45 pm

Reminds me of the conversation with TSA

I think it is at Detroit where there is a hotel that has direct airside access. But you have to go through local police first who have to (at least a year ago) manually fill out an entire page of paperwork and then you present it 10 feet away at the TSA checkpoint and go through screening. I commented that it would be a lot easier on everyone if I just bought a fully refundable ticket and walked through. I got the knowing nod from the TSA officer as he acknowledged to me that it was all just for show with the police check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.