Wiki Posts
Search

Should I go for EXP?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Should I go for EXP?

Interested in what the FlyerTalk AA community thinks.

I was EXP for 4 years and I am currently PLAT mostly through MRs in February. I sit at 55k EQM.

I am visiting a close friend and wrapping a MR with it.
11.5k (Flight) + 11.5k (PLAT bonus) + 11.5k (Double Promotion) + 25k (PLAT with more than 75k miles Bonus) = 59.5k miles at $800 ai.

I can do the same itinerary a week later for $1,000 ai and get to EXP, but my net miles would only be 9.5k miles (I would no longer get the PLAT Bonus of 25k miles for being at 78k EQM)

Is it worth? I will probably only fly twice next year and twice 2014 on a domestic flight (New Baby this year changed my lifestyle). I plan to fly a lot again, but not until 2015. I really like the perks of EXP, but is it worth it if I only fly twice?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Based on your anticipated limited usage of the EXP benefits, I think there are better things you can spend the $1,000 (i.e. nicer x-mas present for the wife or something useful for the baby).
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Interested in what the FlyerTalk AA community thinks.

I was EXP for 4 years and I am currently PLAT mostly through MRs in February. I sit at 55k EQM.

I am visiting a close friend and wrapping a MR with it.
11.5k (Flight) + 11.5k (PLAT bonus) + 11.5k (Double Promotion) + 25k (PLAT with more than 75k miles Bonus) = 59.5k miles at $800 ai.

I can do the same itinerary a week later for $1,000 ai and get to EXP, but my net miles would only be 9.5k miles (I would no longer get the PLAT Bonus of 25k miles for being at 78k EQM)

Is it worth? I will probably only fly twice next year and twice 2014 on a domestic flight (New Baby this year changed my lifestyle). I plan to fly a lot again, but not until 2015. I really like the perks of EXP, but is it worth it if I only fly twice?
Simple answer no.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Simple answer no.
+1
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Agreed with above, probably not. You could probably answer this yourself, though. Just sit for a few minutes, collect your thoughts, and think about what's important to you in your life in the next couple years.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm not a big fan of babies until they're about 2 years old....

Ok, the answer is still "no".
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:58 pm

For only two flights? no.

Save the money you would have used on MRs to EXP and pay for F on those two flights.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat; UA.
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
For only two flights? no.
Clearly the time and expense of earning EXP status are not justified if you plan to fly only twice during the next year. Keep the money and use it for something else.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Going for Exp Plat

In my opinion, whether you spend $1,000 to retain EXP status next year, even though you only expect to travel twice, depends on where you are intending to travel to. It's not worth it for two LGA -ORD upgrades. However, if you, or you and the wife are traveling overseas to show the new child to grandparents, or are going to fly them over her, $1000 for the SWU's might be well spent.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Deep Inside already knew answer, but EXP was blinding me from getting there quicker

Originally Posted by umaa83
Based on your anticipated limited usage of the EXP benefits, I think there are better things you can spend the $1,000 (i.e. nicer x-mas present for the wife or something useful for the baby).
I was thinking of getting something nice for my wife or something nice for us both to enjoy. That would make the most sense and go for EXP in 2014 for use on 2015, when we should travel overseas again and I start travelling for job related stuff.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

I figured up to 2 is the best part

Originally Posted by siankaan1
I'm not a big fan of babies until they're about 2 years old....

Ok, the answer is still "no".
I was told up to 2 is the best part, that's why I stopped contracting.

5 months later with lack of sleep and Nightly Diaper changes, maybe I should have stayed a contractor.

Just Kidding, It's been great and look forward to taking him on flights and working on that MM.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
Elite Rewards (that 25k miles you expect) are based on EQP only, not EQM. So unless you're flying mostly expensive 1.0 EQP fares, don't count on it.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mathlete
Elite Rewards (that 25k miles you expect) are based on EQP only, not EQM. So unless you're flying mostly expensive 1.0 EQP fares, don't count on it.
I looked at an email I got in 2008 when I searched for it in GMAIL. The last time I was PLAT. Dough.

Last edited by nutwpinut; Nov 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
I believe EQM is good enough.
I have been rewarded on 125k+ EQM on EXP with about 75k EQP several times.
Here is excerpt from an email I received from AA a while ago that I registered for:

"In addition, we are pleased to announce the Elite Rewards offer as an extra "thank you." If you are an AAdvantage Platinum member at year's end and earn between 75,000 and 99,999 elite-qualifying miles or points by December 31, 2008, you'll be eligible to select one of the following Elite Rewards with our compliments:"
Oooops I took out the first one on search that was an email I received in 2008. I need to double check these things better
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
One question. If you make EXP, would you have any use for the 8 systemwide upgrades, either for yourself, or for friends or relatives?
To me, those would be worth more the $1k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.