Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive Plat paying fees on award tix for other passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Executive Plat paying fees on award tix for other passenger?

First time redeeming miles as Ex Plat and I was a little suprised. I had to pay the normal $25 phone fee and was told any changes, cancellations, etc will incur the $150 since I am not the passenger (even thou miles were coming from my acct)
Seems very odd comparing to UA 1k i never paid ANY fees as long as miles came from my acct
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:35 pm

The $25 ticketing fee is proper, and is waived only if you or an EXP is traveling with the passengers (a different reservation is fine to use for the waiver).

However, if the miles came from an EXP account, regardless of whoever is traveling, there is no fee to make any changes or to redeposit. The agent must have been mistaken.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
If you aren't traveling on the same itinerary as the ticketed person, AA will charge the fee. It isn't the normal phone fee, it is a different fee. Someone soon will come along with the correct link to the info on here, I don't know exactly where it is. AA doesn't want their EXPs to become award booking services from their own accounts.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The telephone booking fee certainly applies for the initial booking, but I am not sure about changes. However, I have made cancellations (refunding miles to my account) and have not been charged.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
First time redeeming miles as Ex Plat and I was a little suprised. I had to pay the normal $25 phone fee and was told any changes, cancellations, etc will incur the $150 since I am not the passenger (even thou miles were coming from my acct)
Seems very odd comparing to UA 1k i never paid ANY fees as long as miles came from my acct
I recently booked tickets for my parents to fly using miles from my account. I was only charged $20 in taxes and fees for the two round-trip tickets.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
The EXP and the companion have to only share one segment for the ticketing fee to be waived. It does not have to be identical itineraries.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by sj-flyer
I recently booked tickets for my parents to fly using miles from my account. I was only charged $20 in taxes and fees for the two round-trip tickets.
You got lucky, those are not the rules. Expect to pay it the next time.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sj-flyer
Let me guess, two segments each way and done online? That's normal.

The rep was mistaken about the $150 redeposit fee for tickets from the EXP account. Would be correct if the miles were pulled from the flyer's account (and they are not EXP).
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Concur with cbrown5294. As an ex-1K, I too am disappointed to hear of AA charging me to ticket anyone with my miles. I have given away far more award miles than I have ticketed for myself, and UA's flexibility of 1K booking and changing any ticket without chg was a v powerful part of their program for me. Yes, AA has every right to levy fees in their program. Just a disappointing difference....
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I've not been charged any fees in the past when ticketing for other people when I don't travel with them.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nzpilot
Concur with cbrown5294. As an ex-1K, I too am disappointed to hear of AA charging me to ticket anyone with my miles. I have given away far more award miles than I have ticketed for myself, and UA's flexibility of 1K booking and changing any ticket without chg was a v powerful part of their program for me. Yes, AA has every right to levy fees in their program. Just a disappointing difference....
If you wanted something exactly like UA, why change? Programs are different. Some things, you will like AA better. Some things, you will like UA better. Pick the one you like best, but you can't pick and choose the things you like best about both programs.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Here's the language in the EXP promo material I received with my EXP card:

You will enjoy waived ticketing service charges on award tickets and revenue tickets issued by American Airlines personnel, as well as processing charges for AAdvantage awards claimed within 21 days of departure. Plus, we will waive reinstatement and ticket change charges related to award tickets issued from your account.

Unsure where the idea comes from that I must travel with people I choose to ticket from my account IOT avoid incurring fees. Must be stated elsewhere, but not in the EXP Member Guide.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nzpilot
Unsure where the idea comes from that I must travel with people I choose to ticket from my account IOT avoid incurring fees. Must be stated elsewhere, but not in the EXP Member Guide.
It comes from being a fact rather than an 'idea'

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/FAQs...tions.jsp#fees

"This charge does not apply to:

AAdvantage Executive Platinum members when the member is traveling on either a revenue or award ticket. The service charge will not apply to any passenger booked in the same reservation as the AAdvantage Executive Platinum member."

This covers the booking charge, change fees and reinstatement do not attract fees when the miles come from the EXP account.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That is correct as far as the telephone fees and the usual change fees if O or D change, etc. iirc; it has certainly been my experience with every award trip I have gifted ($25 for the call), and I am, er, sufficiently "frugal" to tell those receiving the award they would have to pay change fees if their plans changed in ways that would require such, as well.

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JDiver
That is correct; it has certainly been my experience with every award trip I have gifted, and I am, er, sufficiently "frugal" to tel those receiving the award they would have to pay change / redeposit fees if their plans changed in ways that would require such.
... and how many times have you had to pay to get your miles redeposited to your account?

I've seen many tickets changed (i.e. canceled and re-booked) online and the fees/$s have been refunded fee free when EXP was not on ITN.

So maybe the "error" for the OP was involving a telephone agent, especially one not fully versed on fees for EXPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.