Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Misconnect / reaccommodation protection with separate bookings / tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update it.

● oneworld connections, even if on different tickets and airlines, offer protection to connecting flyers.

● AA / oneworld to non-oneworld connections with different tickets do not offer protection to connecting flyers
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond

This link was evoked in a discussion in another forum but it seems more logical to pursue the questions it raises here.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp

It says:

> Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets:

> AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier

> If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld
> carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld
> airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a
> disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the
> disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final
> destination. ...
_____

Is this a oneworld policy or just an AA policy? As written, it states that one of the two carriers involved in the 'disruption' is AA. But if the originating ticket is a 'oneworld® Carrier' other than AA, and if the disruption occurs on the originating ticket, how can 'the carrier responsible for the disruption ... be required to reroute the customer to their final destination' if it is not a OW rule? (How could AA 'require' them to do anything?) And if it is a OW rule (I can't find anything about it on the oneworld website), then it should apply to any two OW carriers, no?

The linked page goes on to say:

> You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or
> outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers
> for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld > carrier.
_____

Given that the carrier causing the misconnect is responsible for sorting out the consequences, if AA is the originating carrier and they cause you to miss your oneworld flight (even on a separate ticket), it makes sense that AA Reservations would re-schedule you to your final destination. But what if the originating carrier is the oneworld partner and you call AA Reservations, what will they tell you to do -- call the other airline? And then, how is the other airline 'required' to help you? Why won't they say (as they do) "Sorry ... separate tickets ... not our problem..."?

Anyone have any lore on this?

cheers,

Henry
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I'm very interested to hear/see the details around how all of this is handled, as well. While I did go through one particular instance personally at LHR, I was connecting from BA to AA, so BA had to handle my accommodations, but AA did the flight rebooking. Both airlines were working very closely together at the LHR transfer desk, though, ensuring people made it on to planes to get where they were going regardless of the originally booked carrier (e.g. I was offered BA options for my continuation, not just AA).
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:15 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:49 am
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by angatol
The link goes on to say "The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement". I've searched for this agreement but I presume it's a confidential document not available to us mere mortals. An endorsement waiver often applies to full fare tickets as far as I can see, but it's not obvious whether it applies to lowest non-refundable, non-changeable fares.
I saw that, as well, but didn't go searching for it. Maybe someone with inside access can share further knowledge on said "agreement waiver".
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:13 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:13 am
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
About a year and half ago, my flight on AA from DFW that was supposed to get me to EWR in time for a BA flight to London went mechanical. The AA and BA flights were on different itineraries because they were for two different clients. AA was wonderful about making things right.

I ended up taking a direct flight from DFW to London on AA and they sorted out the issue with BA, extracting me from a group itinerary and reticketing me while protecting me because I didn't make the first flight to London. Didn't get my luggage for about a week- it ended up meeting me in Delhi, but I was thankful for the effort.

I was impressed, and still am, with all of the work that the GA put into making sure that everything worked out. They ended up having to find the "expert" GA in the terminal who could work with the BA system.

At the time FT posters told me that AA did not have any responsibility to take care of this. I wish that I had known about that guideline above. I don't think that it would have made a difference, except if I had encountered resistance. Good to know. Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by handspring088
At the time FT posters told me that AA did not have any responsibility to take care of this. I wish that I had known about that guideline above. I don't think that it would have made a difference, except if I had encountered resistance. Good to know. Thanks!
Agreed. Having the knowledge helps move things along more swiftly/smoother sometimes.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I doubt AA would be able to unilaterally impose such a policy on oneworld carriers (merely on passengers ). The AA agency version is here:

oneworld - Separate Tickets

Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets:

AA to/from Non- oneworld® Carrier
Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

Updated May 12, 2010

Information contained on this website is subject to change at any time without notice. American Airlines shall not be liable for any consequences resulting from your reliance on the information.
Other useful links:

Link to AA's Travel Notice Exception Policy Releases

Link to AA's Schedule Change - Rule 240/80 - Schedule Irregularity
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
The AA agency version is here
Erm ... how is this different from the link I posted?

cheers,

Henry
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's an AA policy; Google www.oneworld.com and there's no such policy. oneworld is not very much integrated.

IME AA has been very good in practice, and you won't get stranded, but you're right, your contractual rights are a bit hazy when it's incumbent on the other carrier to reaccommodate you, since AA of course cannot contractually obligate someone else.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Would be interested in hearing from those who were not successful with this.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:40 am

could somebody point me to the AA policy on missed connections, OW vs non-OW partners

All - I've seen a link on FT that takes me to AA's policy on missed connections, specifically how it relates to OW partners and separate PNRs. I can't seem to locate it, could somebody show me the way?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
It's at: http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp

FYI, I had an EXP desk agent a couple of weeks ago deny that this rule existed and get very terse, verging on rude, when I mentioned it. I emailed CS for clarification but still have not received a reply.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
That's the link, and there was some recent discussion about it here:
(this thread - post merge)

Last edited by miamigrad; Nov 29, 2012 at 11:26 am Reason: removed circular reference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.