Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:39 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
Will there be any impacts on ORD flights? Have SEA-ORD-STL tomorrow morning.
no
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by hillrider
Based on some spot-checking of European flights, it appears that they're planning on departing all long-haul flights out of JFK tonight, and then having them RON 2 nights at outstations for an inbound flight on 31OCT.
I live not too far from JFK and I hear them taking off to the east (in to the wind). The crew must really be pushing the engines because I usually don't hear the roar like we are tonight.

Unrelated to AA (sort of), but since my AA flight to DFW (and then on to AUS) was canceled, I was able to get out of a non-refundable reservation at the W in Austin. Those of you who can't get out of NYC and booked non-refundables MAY be able to get your money back if you explain you are affected by Sandy.

Back on topic - the wind is really starting to pick up and the last few JFK-LHR flights appear to be building in some delays.

Last edited by george 3; Oct 28, 2012 at 7:28 pm
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by george 3
Unrelated to AA (sort of), but since my AA flight to DFW (and then on to AUS) was canceled, I was able to get out of a non-refundable reservation at the W in Austin. Those of you who can't get out of NYC and booked non-refundables MAY be able to get your money back if you explain you are affected by Sandy.
I was able to get a refund for a non-refundable night at the Intercontinental ORD. Agent had to ask the manager but they said no problem.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Originally Posted by sts603
At JFK. No sign of such news. Only scattered commuter cancellations. And the news has been to the contrary - that the airports will remain open for now. Something tells me that they heard "transit shut down" and thought that meant airports.
Looks like you were right. Glad I got her to keep the segment for tonight instead of rebooking for after the storm...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Look for a lot of cancellations tomorrow, as a number of international airlines (AF, TK, etc.) have announced they are cancelling flights Monday.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
Look for a lot of cancellations tomorrow, as a number of international airlines (AF, TK, etc.) have announced they are cancelling flights Monday.
I have been looking for non-AA flights to/from JFK/LGA tomorrow after 6AM but no luck so far
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I have been looking for non-AA flights to/from JFK/LGA tomorrow after 6AM but no luck so far
Yeah... you won't.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:45 pm
Suspended

I'm hoping that my flight into LGA on Tuesday is cancelled -- that way I get to redeposit my miles with no fee!!!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I'm hoping that my flight into LGA on Tuesday is cancelled -- that way I get to redeposit my miles with no fee!!!
AA has already canceled 1,471 flights in the Northeast from Monday thru Wednesday, so you'll probably get your wish.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
AA has already canceled 1,471 flights in the Northeast from Monday thru Wednesday, so you'll probably get your wish.
Looking at FlightAware it is interesting that even though almost all mainline and American Eagle flights form New York area have been cancelled for Tuesday, none of the AmericanConnection (Chautaqua Airlines) for Tuesday have been cancelled.

I have a flight Monday night from MCI to ORD and then a early Tuesday morning flight from ORD to HPN. If I have to guess the flight to HPN will ultimately get cancelled so have no plans to take the flight to ORD tomorrow evening. I am hoping that the HPN flight will get cancelled before 7:30 PM tomorrow so that I do not have to eat $150
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I just did! ^
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the thoughts on PHL? The husband is flying SNA-ORD-PHL on Wednesday and PHL-DFW-SNA on Thursday. If the meeting is cancelled it won't be rebooked until after Thanksgiving, so we are sitting on it. Folks are coming in for the meeting from the west coast, Canada and local PHL people. (The kids are really hoping for a cancellation as he's never missed a Halloween with them)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Himeno
Will there be any impacts on ORD flights? Have SEA-ORD-STL tomorrow morning.
I doubt it. It's not really supposed to be too bad, if it is an issue at all, that far west. The only impact would be from inbound a/c that were impacted by the storm. Chicago itself should be more-or-less okay, I would think.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
AA cancelled my BWI flight yesterday. I worked with my travel company today and AA refunded the money in full as I couldn't move the trip to another date (we scrapped it completely).

As I used 3 e500's, I'm hoping AA redeposits those without an issue. We'll see.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
The authorities (airlines, NY transportation, etc.) seem to be using the "Italian Earthquake Expert" formula - warn everyone, because you don't want to be blamed if you are wrong. Right now, 11:30am EST on Monday, the only major airport which is actually closed for weather is Andrews Air Force Base. Probably would have been safe to operate the subways until midnight last night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.