Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by go4bal
I just cancelled my flights to JFK. My conference on Mon and Tues was cancelled. Since I was flying LAX - JFK Friday AM and coming back Oct 31 I had to cancelled. Since AA has not yet put in a plan for flights into the NYC area I have no compensation available to me.

David
Don't really know what you were expecting. AA didn't cancel your conference. Nothing is stopping you from still going to NYC over the time period, and their policies usually don't include refunds for weather policies - just a one-time change to avoid the weather.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
It is way too early to be cancelling flights and changing plans.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Agreed. I fly into EWR Tuesday and I'll change plans on Monday, only if I have to because flights are cancelled.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
I just cancelled my flights to JFK. My conference on Mon and Tues was cancelled. Since I was flying LAX - JFK Friday AM and coming back Oct 31 I had to cancelled. Since AA has not yet put in a plan for flights into the NYC area I have no compensation available to me.

David
I have a LAX to JFK on sun afternoon and coming back Thursday 11/1.

We will see what happens...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

David
You should've waited to see if they were going to issue a weather waiver. It's not like you were in a hurry to try to switch to other flights.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I'm flying to DFW on Monday morning, and i'm watching a full F per EF yesterday morning empty out. I'm usually shut out of an upgrade on the flight I'm taking if booking inside 3 weeks out. Keep those cancellations coming !

Those coming to/already in NY and scheduled to return on 10/29-10/31 may want to consider accomodation options.....
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:41 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by wrp96
You should've waited to see if they were going to issue a weather waiver. It's not like you were in a hurry to try to switch to other flights.
Or waited until the day of departure-- if the flight ended up being cancelled because of weather, AA could have issued a refund.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Why? This is not an everyday T-storm that may or may not affect operations. There may not be confidence yet of precisely where the storm will make landfall, but the area affected by it will no doubt cause major disruptions to certain areas that include hubs affecting thousands of passengers. If you're leaving for a flight today that has a Mon eve return (like I do), what are the odds your flight is going to operate? But you're just supposed to hop on the plane knowing you may not be able to get back for days after your original flight? Or pay hundreds of dollars in change fees for the privilege of making not only your life but the airline's operations easier (one less irrops pax to deal with when the **** hits the fan)? Why all of the airlines don't allow people to make simple changes at this point is baffling - nobody WANTS to change their plans, but some of us with jobs and families NEED to and currently the airlines are willfully preventing it. I think it's a shame, this is NOT an ordinary storm system.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I have a flight into BWI on Tuesday. Curious to see if this creates a problem for me or not.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by daslax
Why all of the airlines don't allow people to make simple changes at this point is baffling - nobody WANTS to change their plans, but some of us with jobs and families NEED to and currently the airlines are willfully preventing it.
Nothing is preventing you from changing your plans but your fare rules (selected by you) and your unwillingness to pay a change fee and difference in fare. Every major U.S. airline is happy to sell unrestricted tickets.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Nothing is preventing you from changing your plans but your fare rules (selected by you) and your unwillingness to pay a change fee and difference in fare. Every major U.S. airline is happy to sell unrestricted tickets.
Wow, that kind of callous customer service is just what I've to come to expect from AA. Sounds like you've experienced it so often that you've forgotten that some companies actually recognize when a substantial number of their customers will be affected by something beyond their control and do something to mitigate.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Every time that a serious storm is predicted in the U.S., we get the same thread complaining that AA has not issued a storm policy allowing free changes. The situation is always the same. When we buy non-changable tickets (really tickets with a change penalty), we assume some degree of risk that we will end up paying that change penalty, and we still buy the non-changable ticket because we think that it is in our best economic interest to do so. For me, it is. I have changed one flight in the last 10 years. If you find out that you are changing flights with great frequency, you might be better off to buy flexible tickets.

Whenever a situation occurs that results in my paying the change fee, I do so without starting a thread to complain that I have to pay it. I know that I will sometimes pay it, and this is one of those instances, so I put on my big boy pants and pay it. This is a reality of air travel today, and no amount of whining/griping/complaining on FT will change it.

Personally, I would wait until AA issues a storm policy to do anything in this instance, but if it really bothers you that much, pay the change fee and change your flight. In the grand scope of life, a change fee of $150 or $250 is peanuts.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
US issued their advisory this morning; it's pretty broad. ME down to NC, as far inland as BUF & PIT.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
Don't really know what you were expecting. AA didn't cancel your conference. Nothing is stopping you from still going to NYC over the time period, and their policies usually don't include refunds for weather policies - just a one-time change to avoid the weather.
Actually I was not expecting anything. I knew if my plans changed prior to AA going into weather mode, there would be nothing in return.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
No Sandy Travel Waiver for East Coast as of afternoon Friday 10/26 - what gives?

... as the title says, what the heck is going on at AA? Why haven't they issued a blanket policy for the eastern seaboard? It isn't like there is uncertainty if there will be a major impact Sunday-Tuesday so why haven't they issued one? It seems irresponsible at this point!

It is nuts they don't do this far enough in advance for folks like me - I have a weekend trip booked to leave SFO on a redeye tonight and won't go - but don't want to pay rebooking fees because there SHOULD BE A WAIVER BY NOW!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.