Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:50 pm

Mrs. jrmstr33 and I were originally scheduled to fly on AA18 (SFO-JFK) on 10/29. Called in last Fri to reschedule to 10/30. Had a bad feeling that it would be canceled again, so called the EP desk late last night to move our flight to Friday, 11/2. AA 18 10/30 was still scheduled to go as of 1am last night. Just checked and it is now canceled. WHEW!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:31 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by justforfun
AA seems to think LGA will be open Wednesday afternoon. Schedule to land from RDU at 2:29pm. I'm thinking this won't happen?
I'd say probably not. From the NYC thread:

Originally Posted by Analise
This is a jetway at LGA.

Another pic of LGA:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-pavement.html
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yeowch, dstan! That reminds me of some of the photos taken at SDJ / Sendai airport after the tsunami. Saltwater wreaks havoc with electrics, corrosive metals, etc. so I'd say the LaGuardia folks have a lot of work on their hands. I'd not expect normal ops Wednesday.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG - Gold, Delta - Silver
Originally Posted by flyerlink
I am going to Manhattan on Thursday for the day, at work they dropped my 10 am BOS-LGA flight (DL) and put me on a 6:00 am Amtrak to Penn Station - it should work... I hope.

Any idea when LGA will be ~fully operational?
No one knows when LGA will be up and running. Right now the runway is flooded.

Also, there is no train service into, around and out of NYC. No ETA on that as well.

With the way things are right now, unless its an emergency, there really is no reason to come to NYC.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I am scheduled for LA-JFK on Thursday. I expect the flight to go. I am not nervous. However, I think it is going to be at least a few more days (Saturday?) until New York city is "normal" and longer for central New Jersey. Not yet decided how to proceed.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BankofGreed

With the way things are right now, unless its an emergency, there really is no reason to come to NYC.
Well, that and EQMs for requalification

We're still planning to come in on Saturday....thinking that things could be up and running by then.

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Flying out of LGA on Saturday. Anyone have any luck changing Saturday flights? According to the AA website, they're only allowing changes on flights scheduled through tomorrow but I'm skeptical LGA will be operating on Saturday.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Flying out of LGA on Saturday. Anyone have any luck changing Saturday flights? According to the AA website, they're only allowing changes on flights scheduled through tomorrow but I'm skeptical LGA will be operating on Saturday.
I'm skeptical too and I suspect they will expand the timeline once they've had a little more time to inspect the damage. Keep watching closely so you can be the first to jump once your time period is included.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
My parents made it to ORD from HKG today on CX, but their flight to LGA tomorrow was cancelled. Fortunately, they were able to get on a flight to BOS tonight, so will be home tonight, albeit well after midnight. Thankfully they have a limo service lined-up to make the drive.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
Is it an Eagle flight?
It was an eagle flight, but it's a moot point as it got cancelled. Now rescheduled on a CLT-LGA flight that is supposed to land at 7:30am on Thursday. I'm thinking this one will also be a bust.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
I have a flight to and from JFK on Nov 1. I am hoping that they will allow free changes for Nov 1 flights so that I can avoid JFK.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by salfcl
I have a flight to and from JFK on Nov 1. I am hoping that they will allow free changes for Nov 1 flights so that I can avoid JFK.
The news is saying JFK will be open tomorrow at 1. Sounds like JFK had less damage than LGA. Among other things, a barge hit one of the runway pilings at LGA and it needs to be inspected. I imagine AA will take a wait and see approach regarding JFK.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Originally Posted by salfcl
A new travel waiver was just issued, you may be able to change and rebook flights to and from New York area airports departing as late as November 7.

Last edited by progapanda; Oct 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm Reason: Corrected to account for NYCQuaker's (very valid) point about original inventory requirements
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by progapanda
A new travel waiver was just issued, you can now change and rebook flights to and from New York area airports departing as late as November 7.
If you are traveling to or from:

New York Kennedy, NY (JFK)
New York LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
Newark, NJ (EWR)
On the following dates: October 31 - November 7, 2012
And your ticket was issued no later than: October 30, 2012
You may travel: November 1 - December 20, 2012
Original inventory required? Yes

The ticket reissue charge will be waived for one ticket change.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From spot checks, most (all?) of AA/Eagle JFK, LGA and EWR operations for 31OCT were cancelled between 12 and 2pm ET today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.