Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA announce service to Seoul ICN, Lima LIM, Dusseldorf DUS, Dublin DUB [24 Oct 2012]

AA announce service to Seoul ICN, Lima LIM, Dusseldorf DUS, Dublin DUB [24 Oct 2012]

Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:16 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3589

American Airlines announced today that it will launch service to markets in Asia, Europe and Latin America, delivering on the airline's business plan and network strategy designed to offer customers more choices to new destinations. Next year, American will begin the following international services: Dallas/Fort Worth - Seoul, South Korea; Dallas/Fort Worth - Lima, Peru; Chicago O'Hare - Dusseldorf, Germany; and New York JFK - Dublin, Ireland. This new service enhances American's network footprint and will provide more access and choices for customers in key international markets. It will also add domestic service to match customer demand through its Dallas/Fort Worth and Chicago hubs. Customers can begin booking travel for all these routes beginning Nov. 4.

Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Nice to hear. Was expecting AA to cut destinations.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Finally AA expands a little bit more to Asia. Perhaps more will come. Also, Lima makes perfect sense - as long as LAN stays in oneworld.
Was hoping for something more in Europe...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
Fantastic. Very good. Though in all of these destinations only Seoul is mildly surprising.

CAN WE GET DFW-HKG PLEASE??? (/rant)

DUB is probably simply the BRU 757 being repurposed.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:56 am

Dublin would normally be nice, but NOT from JFK, an airport I avoid like the plague.

Dusseldorf should be good for Air Berlin connections, and thus should be better for AA and for most pax than BRU.

Last edited by Carolinian; Oct 24, 2012 at 6:03 am
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
DFW-ICN is like Christmas coming early for me. No more TYO connections! ^^^
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Carolinian
Dublin would normally be nice, but NOT from JFK, an airport I avoid like the plague.
I find JFK T8 to be quite nice, and an easy transfer experience. There are sometimes queues for departure at peak hours but I personally don't find that enough of a reason to avoid it. US C&I formalities are as well organised as is possible (I'd much rather arrive to JFK than ORD or MIA, for example), and I find JFK's combination of good international connections and a decent-sized Flagship Lounge compelling. NOTE that these only hold true for AA-AA connections; if you're going between terminals it can indeed be horrible.

Originally Posted by blakepilot
DFW-ICN is like Christmas coming early for me. No more TYO connections!
Unfortunately service doesn't start until after Chrismas--sorry to break the bad news.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DWFI
Preferably by CX.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Originally Posted by Microwave
Unfortunately service doesn't start until after Chrismas--sorry to break the bad news.
I know, but it still cuts the connection out for trips after 5/9/13. That should be an extremely profitable route for AA seeing as KE is doing very well for itself on that route already. Plus, SWU's to another huge gateway to Asia! ^
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DWFI
Fantastic. Very good. Though in all of these destinations only Seoul is mildly surprising.

I completely agree. KE already has a daily service on the same route, so it would compete directly with that. IMHO, it's going to be primarily O/D traffic into Seoul, because the OneWorld connections are going to be pretty slim.

Selfishly, I'm hoping for DFW-HKG as well. But that would actually make more sense given the the ability to connect to CX from there. Either it is nice to hear these additions rather than route cuts.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:11 am

Nice to hear. Was expecting AA to cut destinations.
Chicago to Rome and Helsinki are not available for 2013 so the net gain to AA will be one new route if you also include BRU not operating in 2013.

Would appear the DUB-JFK is seasonal? June-October?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Preferably by CX.

That would be even better.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9
Chicago to Rome and Helsinki are not available for 2013 so the net gain to AA will be one new route if you also include BRU not operating in 2013.
ORD-FCO/HEL are available and bookable for 2013, FCO starts in April, HEL in June.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:29 am
hmv

Routes make sense and it is good to see American expanding internationally, hopefully Amsterdam will be next..

Chicago - Dusseldorf connects to the AB-network in addition to the Chicago-Berlin that will be operated by AB.

Dallas - Lima to connect to LAN Peru's operations together with the strong latin-american position of AA.

New-York - Dublin is a lot of O/D for the financial market during the year and holiday-travel, with a 6.55pm departure from JFK and a 6.55 arrival in Dublin business men are able to work the whole day in both New York and Dublin and flying westbound, they are able to work in the afternoon.

Dallas-Seoul also makes sense when looking at the broader picture. AA definately wants to attract Koreans going to South-America. ICN-DFW-GRU is 200 miles shorter than Korean Air's ICN-LAX-GRU. When looking at the domestic destinations, the flight from Seoul arrives perfectly in time for the 6pm domestic departures.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:33 am

I think Dusseldorf is risky because Lufthansa also operates this route. I don't think this route has enough potential for 2 airlines!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.