Old Oneworld status showing on non-AA boarding pass

Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Old Oneworld status showing on non-AA boarding pass

Had a curious occurance on a recent trip. A few weeks ago, I booked flights on EI between LHR-DUB-LHR for last weekend on AA.com. I had been AAdvantage Platinum/Oneworld Sapphire for several years, but have dropped down to Gold/Rudy.

When I checked in at LHR on Friday morning, my EI boarding pass showed "SAPPHIRE" for some reason.

Has anyone else had this "old status" experience with Oneworld partner boarding passes recently? I've not had it happen on any AA flights, but haven't flown any other Oneworld carriers since.

I had no problem using the EI lounge at LHR on the flight over to DUB, and was not even asked for my AAdvantage card by the receptionist. However, at DUB on the return Monday morning, the receptionist at the lounge did ask to see my card, even though the same word (Sapphire) appeared on this boarding pass too. I fibbed and said I had lost it and some other documents and my replacement cards had not arrived yet... She let me in, but with an admonishment that she was making an exception as she "had no way of checking my status with AA on her system".

BTW, neither flight miles have yet posted, so do EI flights generally take a week or so to appear in one's AA account?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:14 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
This is an old problem with EI. When I was EXP my EI boarding cards still showed "Ruby" even though I hadn't been Gold for many years. As you noted, EI agents usually rely on your card rather than the status on the boarding card for lounge access etc so the only impact is on one's vanity. In your case the glitch worked in your favour.

Eligible EI flights have always posted fairly promptly to my accounts, IIRC within 3-4 days or so. The earning classes on EI are relatively restricted so check it's an eligible fare and also make sure that your AA no. appeared on the boarding card as EI check-in agents can be lax at entering it on the system. In any case give it another few days before contacting AA.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks for the response. Curious how EI would even have a status for me as I've never flown them before, so there'd be no "memory" of my account or status in their system. But whatever, I am more prepared for the "next time". My account number showed on the boarding pass but it appears because it was a connecting ticket in W, it won't qualify. Oh well, at least I got some free drinks in the lounge...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: AY+ Plat Lumo
I have similar problem, I got plat status from AA about a month ago and AY still sees me as a Ruby not Sapphire. Called AA about it after and they say it should change automatically. Haven't flown in three weeks but booked flights for next week on Finnair and still its Ruby in their system. Have others had similar problems?

Other data point is that I had to get status updated manually with AA because of their problems with IT systems..
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by GeeTee77
I have similar problem, I got plat status from AA about a month ago and AY still sees me as a Ruby not Sapphire. Called AA about it after and they say it should change automatically. Haven't flown in three weeks but booked flights for next week on Finnair and still its Ruby in their system. Have others had similar problems?

Other data point is that I had to get status updated manually with AA because of their problems with IT systems..
If you booked the flights before your status changed, you'll want to have Finnair remove, and then re-enter, your AAdvantage number. Sometimes that fixes the issue.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dave_261
If you booked the flights before your status changed, you'll want to have Finnair remove, and then re-enter, your AAdvantage number. Sometimes that fixes the issue.
I was an AAirpass member for 1 year ending Oct 2013. Since then - almost every BP I have says AAirpass instead of Priority Access or Ex Plat. Strange.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat Lumo
Thanks for the comments, they did the re-applying of AA FF#. Did not help, called AA again - they said that everything is ok and directed back to Finnair. Now waiting for AY to move. Wouldn't be a problem if I had the Plat card from AA but haven't received it yet and seems that mobile app recognition does not work everywhere.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Gold
AA Platinum but showing as OW Ruby on BA

Have a similar issue:

Several months ago, I won Platinum status through a challenge. Been flying a bunch since getting Platinum, usually on BA metal and with a combination of BA and AA flight numbers without issue, with my OW status showing as Sapphire.

Never got my card as based in Italy and AA has consistently failed to get me the card in spite of multiple requests.

Most recently, redeemed some miles for a BA F ticket to the US and saw it showed me as "Ruby". Called AA, and they said they would have it updated.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I'm due to fly PSA-LHR-JFK on BA, and the record still shows me as Ruby in BA systems, even though AA has me as platinum on the website and in their systems. I called AA last week and they said they would update the OW system. Also called BA at their suggestion to have them remove and reenter the number. Did this several times with the number still coming up as Ruby.

What can I do? Very frustrating to have been doing all this flying (on the verge of qualifying for Platinum again based on EQMs) and to not be able to select seats immediately on BA or to be able to use the lounges....
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CheVive
Most recently, redeemed some miles for a BA F ticket to the US and saw it showed me as "Ruby". Called AA, and they said they would have it updated.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I'm due to fly PSA-LHR-JFK on BA, and the record still shows me as Ruby in BA systems, even though AA has me as platinum on the website and in their systems. I called AA last week and they said they would update the OW system. Also called BA at their suggestion to have them remove and reenter the number. Did this several times with the number still coming up as Ruby.

What can I do? Very frustrating to have been doing all this flying (on the verge of qualifying for Platinum again based on EQMs) and to not be able to select seats immediately on BA or to be able to use the lounges....
You can select seats for the flight in 1st class and by virtue of flying 1st class can use lounges etc . Other than not being able to select seats until closer to departure for the 2 hr flight to London which would only be business class, I don't see it as a big issue

I would suggest going to finnair.com and using manage booking to remove the number yourself; check on the BA site that it is gone and then use the BA site to add it back in and see if it picks up the correct status rather than relying on an agent
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks for your reply Dave. Was not aware of the Finnair site trick, but good to know.

As it happens, I just did as you suggested, and no luck.

Unfortunately, while my previous trip was in F, my upcoming ones are in Y, making my elite status relevant for seating and lounges...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.