Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

EXP desk mishap [miles pulled for another's award ticket, screen refresh bug]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAT, HYATT DIAMOND, AVIS CC, AA EXP

I logged into my AAdvantage account just now to see 50K missing from my account for a "one way business class ticket from HNL to South America", knowing I didn't purchase any mileage tickets recently.

I called up the AA EXP desk to get this corrected, and the agent told me that this mishap happens quite often. When someone calls into the EXP desk their account info pops up on the computer, and sometimes it doesn't refresh when the next person calls.

My luck, the guy after me bought a 50K award so they deducted the mileage from MY account, not his.

The agent continued to tell me that, that's why they instituted the automated email after a redemption is made, since it was happening so frequently, so they can make the account holders aware if a mistake is made.

Of course, I didn't receive an email notifying me of this mileage deduction....

All was corrected in a matter of 5 minutes or less....however I find this to be a tremendous issue and a lack of security.

Doubt this would happen...but, I'm not interested in having my account shut down for weird mileage redemption's for other passengers other than myself....but then again I never thought the airline themselves would make a mileage redemption for someone else so frequently either......
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mrbrioni

All was corrected in a matter of 5 minutes or less....however I find this to be a tremendous issue and a lack of security.
Hyperbolic much? Tremendous? Seriously?

As for the lack of security - since this is the employees who already have access to the account, security is not compromised here. Don't get me wrong. this is not a good thing and is clearly a fail by AA, but it is not a security issue unless an unauthorized person can access your account.

Sounds more like a training issue, already being complained about here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...xperience.html

Probably need a thread merge for the EXP desk complaints.

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

I wrote the thread in the heat of the moment lol my apologies for the usage of those words.

As someone with 130K+ EQM'S this year (yes a lot from the SFO/ORD TEQM'S), this is clearly a fail and very disturbing.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
I wrote the thread in the heat of the moment lol my apologies for the usage of those words.
Don't apologize just because someone didn't think this was a big deal. They will post the same thing when it happens to them. We all work very hard for a lot these miles and just because someone else knows about the process doesn't mean your issue isn't a big deal deal.

We should all be a little worried and make sure this isn't happening in our accounts. Thanks for the heads up dude! This is a big deal to me, and I will keep a look out for it.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
I logged into my AAdvantage account just now to see 50K missing from my account for a "one way business class ticket from HNL to South America", knowing I didn't purchase any mileage tickets recently.

I called up the AA EXP desk to get this corrected, and the agent told me that this mishap happens quite often. When someone calls into the EXP desk their account info pops up on the computer, and sometimes it doesn't refresh when the next person calls.

My luck, the guy after me bought a 50K award so they deducted the mileage from MY account, not his.

The agent continued to tell me that, that's why they instituted the automated email after a redemption is made, since it was happening so frequently, so they can make the account holders aware if a mistake is made.

Of course, I didn't receive an email notifying me of this mileage deduction....

Doubt this would happen...but, I'm not interested in having my account shut down for weird mileage redemption's for other passengers other than myself....but then again I never thought the airline themselves would make a mileage redemption for someone else so frequently either......
Unfortunately this problem pops up every now and then becasue the agent or the system itself did not clear the screen after the last call and then pre-populate it with the new caller's information.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:08 pm

I lost 4 evip's and had to argue with AA for a while before they figured it out.
Now I know why.
IT at work again.
If AA does not make money form something than they don't care about it.

Unfortunately they don't make money from most of their operations which is why they keep losing money.
That is their path to success.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by dickferd
Don't apologize just because someone didn't think this was a big deal. They will post the same thing when it happens to them.
Please don't project exaggeration on those who have respected record of restraint.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dickferd
We should all be a little worried and make sure this isn't happening in our accounts. Thanks for the heads up dude! This is a big deal to me, and I will keep a look out for it.
Thanks.

I think people should just be aware of what's going on so they can at least have an idea of what happened if this happened to their account.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vail
I lost 4 evip's and had to argue with AA for a while before they figured it out.
Now I know why.
IT at work again.
If AA does not make money form something than they don't care about it.

Unfortunately they don't make money from most of their operations which is why they keep losing money.
That is their path to success.
That's terrible.

I quickly just logged back into my AAdvantage account to check if my eVip's were touched lol

These are REAL issues though, that AA needs to fix up, and fast.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
Please don't project exaggeration on those who have respected record of restraint.

However, those who do not record restraint surely shouldn't have to apologize.

We worked hard, were loyal, and flew quite a lot to earn these miles....
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:08 am

I recently found a bug with AAs mileage posting. After 4 calls to Advantage Customer service to fix some credits, I was unsuccessful, so I called the supervisor. The supervisor took the time and we did the math one flight at a time to find the mileage available and the EQMs were wrong.

Apparently, HP is the one that does some of their IT work and a defect request had been submitted my AA internal IT. It took a week to fix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.