Wiki Posts
Search

CDG-ORD AA41 in J or BA in J

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by danosu77
Thanks everyone.

I am PLT now, so I was able to select seats on the BA 777 for free. I like window seats and I think I was able to get row 11. Is that an ok seat?

If BA releases seats again in F, can you "upgrade"? Do they allow that?

I am surprised others don't like T5. I think it is such a lively space. Open, great views of the tarmac. The BA lounges are great. It is such a great place for a flyertalker! I guess I just enjoy the process.
As I think I said before in this thread, if you're totally fine with flying via LHR then I would look into AA F awards. They aren't that hard to find on this route, cost only 12.5k more each way and the BA F lounge at T3 has all the great fare of the T5 lounge without the crowds. If you like dim sum you can also use the CX lounge. To me, T5 doesn't have much to offer barring access to BA GF or CCR and AA's F seat is great (even if the food/service are barely above AA J levels).
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Microwave
Agree with all of this except the last point. I fly both BA CW and AA J with reasonable frequency, and BA CW catering consistently disappoints. Every time. AA has overcooked a steak or two, but the quality and quantity of food is always better on AA J. Wines also streets ahead on AA vs. BA.
What would be examples of disappointing options on BA? I generally order special meals - they have an extensive selection which AA doesn't. I find AA's J meals generally very heavy featuring creamy sauces, creamy potatoes, etc. I think BA meals seem to be a bit on the lighter side. They also tend to have nice deserts if one doesn't care about ice cream. The other thing that impresses me on BA is they almost always offer me the regular menu or my special meal - which tells me they cater sufficient extras. AA is all about FEBO or if you are at the wrong end of the cabin, "tonight we have cheese tortellini in cheese sauce for dinner."
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I think BA meals seem to be a bit on the lighter side.
Bwwwaahhhaaa!. Check out this "fish pie" from August:

It was tasty, but probably a calorie bomb. Though I guess to be fair, it's probably just their version of AA's tortellini in cement-cheese sauce.

As far as the BA window seats -- they're rather claustrophobic on the 777 and zero storage space. Not too tight that it was physically uncomfortable, but there was nowhere to put anything (not that the AA NGBC seats are much better). The 747 Upper Deck windows are fantastic though, with the side bins that give you a storage container, a shelf to keep items handy, and a much less claustrophobic feeling. I imagine the 747 main deck is maybe a tad better than 777 because of the wider fuselage.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Bwwwaahhhaaa!. Check out this "fish pie" from August:

It was tasty, but probably a calorie bomb. Though I guess to be fair, it's probably just their version of AA's tortellini in cement-cheese sauce.

As far as the BA window seats -- they're rather claustrophobic on the 777 and zero storage space. Not too tight that it was physically uncomfortable, but there was nowhere to put anything (not that the AA NGBC seats are much better). The 747 Upper Deck windows are fantastic though, with the side bins that give you a storage container, a shelf to keep items handy, and a much less claustrophobic feeling. I imagine the 747 main deck is maybe a tad better than 777 because of the wider fuselage.
14 AK on 744s are excellent -- against the rear bulkhead, direct aisle access - very close to F as are 64 AK. IMO AA middle and window J seats are awful.

As mentioned, I generally order special meals on BA - something AA has drastically reduced.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
What would be examples of disappointing options on BA? I generally order special meals - they have an extensive selection which AA doesn't. I find AA's J meals generally very heavy featuring creamy sauces, creamy potatoes, etc. I think BA meals seem to be a bit on the lighter side. They also tend to have nice deserts if one doesn't care about ice cream. The other thing that impresses me on BA is they almost always offer me the regular menu or my special meal - which tells me they cater sufficient extras. AA is all about FEBO or if you are at the wrong end of the cabin, "tonight we have cheese tortellini in cheese sauce for dinner."
I think the disappointment with BA vs. AA in the food department comes down to one key difference between the two carriers: AA differentiates F and J based on seat while BA differentiates based on service, food, etc. Therefore, AA's F and J will have service and food that are greater than BA J and less than BA F. Consequently, if service is of the primary concern, choose AA for J and BA for F.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I would definitely agree that it's a matter of opinion, so I don't think anyone can be "right" on this.. But for me, the last two steaks I've had in CW were WAY overcooked... Like rubber. Horrible. The last one I had came with what looked like a 2-inch-square cookie-cutter of potatoes that were baked in a massive pan and dosed onto the plate; the dish itself was way too small for a 10+ hour flight, and the sides were also too miniscule (three small spears of asparagus anyone?). Later on that flight I was served "afternoon tea", which was literally 3 small finger sandwiches served to me still in the plastic film, along with three petits fours and a small scone. Technically it was afternoon tea, but the sandwiches served like Tesco takeout was very low brow--AA serve second meals on actual plates at least (think pizza or cold plate). On another flight, the two choices I had were between a duck dish and a veggie dish; I appreciate that AA provide four options on international flights in J, so I'm not stuck with a protein I don't want or rabbit food. Again, the size of the meal was too small for my taste, though the duck itself was better than I expected it to be. Funny you should mention ice cream as well--I opted for same on my last CW flight having never ordered it before, and they brought me one of those mini-tubs of ice cream from when you were a kid, where you peel the top off and the flat scooper is under the lid. Not in a bowl, not with a spoon, just "here's your ice cream". Compared to AA's dessert (typically the sludge or a sundae depending on equipment, always served on a saucer and with an appropriate piece of flatware), BA's was a massive disappointment. And on those flights, not one of the four red wines I tried (two on each) I found drinkable; fortunately they do cater plenty of Champagne so I wasn't up a creek.

I could go on, those were just my last two experiences; again, I'm certain some people would prefer BA (there's always someone who'll prefer any option if you look), but I don't think I'm alone in assessing BA CW catering below AA J. One thing to add though: I've never not gotten my choice of meal on BA CW, so I think you've hit on something there for sure. FEBO is definitely important on AA if you want your choice of all four options.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of my best filets of beef or braised beef dishes have been on AA, and some of my best, moist, succulent fish entrées have been on BA. Beef on BA generally disappoints, and once I stopped ordering it on BA I haven't had a bad meal. Have had plenty of AA slop, such as their continuously frighteningly bad pasta or something called "country fried steak".

On desserts, BA are more imaginative and refined and varied, with AA sticking too much with its excellent sundae.

On wines, BA comes on top all the time, as it does not serve some of the hot, unbalanced, overripe, food-unfriendly reds or the hot, over-oaked whites you get on AA if you're not careful.

Personally, I find AA and BA food is pretty even, both with strong points and weaknesses. But do avoid the beef on BA and your experience improves immediately!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like BA is working on improving food and beverage offers, and is doing "early stages of testing some new concepts" as per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...bai-tokyo.html

It's nice that they have an official rep on FT asking for and collecting feedback! ^
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
IMHO id fly BA. Im like you so you should fit and sleep just fine. Food I thought on two recent round the world trips was fine for airline food. I did upgrade on the LHR-SEA portion in new F and honestly thought it wasnt worth the $800 USD. CW on BA is just fine.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:25 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by danosu77
I am returning from Paris to Chicago in November in J. BA has a reduced milage award for 50k miles. AA41 is the Anytime award at 100,000 miles. I am currently booked on BA, but I have a few concerns.
Either way, you lose. If you choose BA you get socked with ultra-high fuel surcharges. If you choose AA you pay double miles when there are much better options over the ocean. If it were me, I'd earnestly search for another option besides the above two. Mantra: Earn on AA, burn on any other airline.

One of the best TATL flights I ever had in J (perhaps THE best) was on Finnair HEL-ORD. It's certainly worth an inquiry just to see if CDG-HEL-ORD might be available on AY.

Another great option is Madrid. MAD airport has some good lounges (however not as nice as BA lounges at LHR). Still, you spend a lot more time in the air than in the lounge. If both AA and IB are available, in this case I'd probably choose AA. The last two times I flew IB, their meal choices were great ... IF you like seafood. I've flown AA from DFW-MAD three times and found it exceptional every time, especially the meal service. I'm halfway thinking about making that trip again just for the Volver Tempranillo wine in FC.

Also, make sure you're looking at all available options. Sometimes it might cost 100K for business class but you could get First Class for just 62.5 K.

Executive summary: given your two choices, IMO choose "none of the above". Instead, find a better option.

Both AY and IB are better flight experiences than BA or AA, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.