FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Flying Alaska Airlines via American Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1394356-flying-alaska-airlines-via-american-airlines.html)

UALOneKPlus Oct 4, 2012 7:09 pm

Flying Alaska Airlines via American Airlines

Long story, but I have a large flight credit with American Airlines from a previously canceled non-refundable American airlines flight that I need to use up.

I can book a couple of Alaska Airlines via AA.com for my travel.

Question for the gang - is this still risky due to the latest American Airlines issues, or will I be okay since it's on Alaska Airlines?

clacko Oct 4, 2012 7:16 pm

have you heard of any labor disruption on as?....i haven't....aa code share on as flights i presume....

like any carrier, they can have mx & wx probs...

Apieinthesky Oct 4, 2012 7:18 pm

I think you'll be fine even on AA.

It seems that a lot of these types of questions has popped up around here lately, and I think that the general consensus on this forum is that the issues aren't as dire as the media makes it out to be. Most of us are still flying AA, and are still happy with AA. Of course, we all hope that AA will soon recover from this period of operational and other issues it's been having lately, but I think most of us believe it will.

This is another thread that popped up recently, and I remember it just because I think the OP was overly and unnecessarily worried.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...r-flights.html

But if it's operated by AS, I think you'll have even less to worry about. They can of course have problems just like any carrier, as clacko has said.

MasterPlanner Oct 4, 2012 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky (Post 19439892)
I think you'll be fine even on AA.

It seems that a lot of these types of questions has popped up around here lately, and I think that the general consensus on this forum is that the issues aren't as dire as the media makes it out to be. Most of us are still flying AA, and are still happy with AA. Of course, we all hope that AA will soon recover from this period of operational and other issues it's been having lately, but I think most of us believe it will.

+1. >100k miles flown to date on AA with no more difficulty than any of the past 10 years doing this...

UALOneKPlus Oct 4, 2012 7:33 pm

Thanks all. I usually don't fly AA and read some media reports that even travel agents were not booking clients on AA due to concerns over canceled / delayed flights.

Good to know things aren't as dire as reported. I've also not flown AS via codeshare from AA so just wanted to make sure I wasn't impacted just in case of issues with AA.

JDiver Oct 4, 2012 8:25 pm

I've personally not seen any article or story where agents are booking away form AA. However, AA is having some issues currently whilst it is in Chapter 11 and management's vs. pilots's interests are being disputed.

Nothing CO, DL, HP, NW, UA, US et al haven't been through themselves iirc, sometimes more than once (and those that have not been assimilated, er, merged, seem to be doing OK). AS nearly went through bankruptcy, and had a debacle precipitated by the AS 261 MD-83 incident in 2000; AS seems to be doing well.

There is a thread on delays and cancellations due to this issue, and it seems the delays are on the decline, and AA has stated they will be negotiating with pilots - possibly this week.

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus (Post 19439955)
Thanks all. I usually don't fly AA and read some media reports that even travel agents were not booking clients on AA due to concerns over canceled / delayed flights.

Good to know things aren't as dire as reported. I've also not flown AS via codeshare from AA so just wanted to make sure I wasn't impacted just in case of issues with AA.

AA_EXP09 Oct 4, 2012 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus (Post 19439866)
Long story, but I have a large flight credit with American Airlines from a previously canceled non-refundable American airlines flight that I need to use up.

I can book a couple of Alaska Airlines via AA.com for my travel.

Question for the gang - is this still risky due to the latest American Airlines issues, or will I be okay since it's on Alaska Airlines?

It would be OK.
I would fly AA though so I have a shot at compensation.

FlyerChrisK Oct 4, 2012 9:49 pm

<redacted>

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus (Post 19439955)

Besides marketing the ticket, AA has nothing to do with your AS flights.

emma dog Oct 5, 2012 4:02 am

If you have no status on AA and no desire for status and if the AS flights work for you, why not fly them?

UALOneKPlus Oct 5, 2012 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog (Post 19441538)
If you have no status on AA and no desire for status and if the AS flights work for you, why not fly them?

As I mentioned before I had flight credit on AA that I had to use up, so I had to do it via codeshare with AS.

And for others - here's a recent CNN article on AA: http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/01/travel...ing/index.html

Travel agents shying away

Travel agents say they can't count on American flights to depart -- or those that do depart to land on time. So they started directing their customers away from American after the troubled airline began canceling flights last month. In the past month, more than 1,000 American flights have been canceled and 12,000 delayed.

"It's just getting too risky with the threat of probable cancellations on the horizon," said Jay Johnson, president of Coastline Travel Advisors, a Virtuoso travel agency in Garden Grove, California, that temporarily halted sales of American tickets until "we have
confidence that there will not be widespread cancellations."

brp Oct 5, 2012 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus (Post 19446006)
As I mentioned before I had flight credit on AA that I had to use up, so I had to do it via codeshare with AS.

And for others - here's a recent CNN article on AA: http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/01/travel...ing/index.html

Which, again, is still irrelevant to what you posed in this thread (as has been pointed out several times) since you're not on an AA plane. The issues surrounding AA planes is well-covered elsewhere.

Cheers.