Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about AA terminal / connections at Chicago - ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you wanted to know about AA terminal / connections at Chicago - ORD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
1. Ease of navigation. Unlike MIA for example, which practically requires a tour guide, it's pretty straightforward, albeit fairly large.
Not true... we can bicker all day long about MIA, but you can't honestly say that the D terminal with it's long walk requires a tour guide vs the various twists and turns and switching terminals.
2. Airside connections to all but the int'l terminal. It makes switching airlines that much easier if you must and it's a feature few airports have.
Few... like ATL, DFW, IAD, MSP, PIT, SEA... just to name a few. And those actually allow you to go to the international flights as well.

8. Public transportation. .... It is the only airport I know of, outside of DCA, where the subway actually comes into the airport and there's no need to take some kind of shuttle or tram to/from (like with SFO or BOS). Also wayyyyyyyy cheaper than the SFO equivalent.
Although I don't take MARTA, as long as you are not arriving internationally, ATL has the subway coming "into" the airport as much as DCA.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
If you are connecting on AA, but have a non-AA lounge membership and some extra time, you can access those lounges reasonably easily. About a 5 to 7 minute walk from the outlet of the H/K concourse to the lounges in terminal 2. A DL SkyClub is on the E concourse and a United Club is on the F concourse, although the latter was SRO when I visited about a year ago.

Also worth a mention is the large kiddie play area on the walk between terminals 2 and 3. Worth a visit if you're killing time with kids.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Here is a terminal map of ORD from 1980:

http://www.departedflights.com/ORD0480.html.
Not that long ago, but most of the airlines mentioned on the map are gone.

I have fond memories of leaving from the original T1...that was when international trips were something one looked forward to.

Incidentally, the answer to a question nobody has asked yet in this thread, "Why is there no T4?" is that when T1 was demolished and T5 was being built, they used a section of the parking structure as temporary international terminal T4. It was basically a bus stop, one took buses to all flights. I suppose they decided that using the same number again for the permanent international terminal would be confusing.

PS Frontera's sandwiches are not perfect but they are far better than all the junk served everywhere else at ORD.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
Will American put an ExP up at the Hilton if there is IRROPS requiring an overnight?
Absolutely. I was scheduled to fly ORD-ANC in summer of 2011, evening departure. Captain was pulled to work a flight to Paris, and we waited for a JFK arriving Captain. The JFK CPT boarded the plane, but by then he was out of "time" to complete the flight.

AA rescheduled the flight for the next day in the AM, told all PAX to keep their boarding passes. AA put many PAX into the ORD Hilton, not just elite. A great sign of goodwill by the AA ground team, which is typical for AA at ORD, and is why so many ORD based flyers prefer AA over UA at ORD.

On the food front at ORD, Romano's Macaroni Grill in the AA main terminal is decent, and for airport food, priced fine. If you want to take a walk to Terminal 1, the fresh carved roast beef sandwich at Bergoff's is fantastic, and so is the Italian restaurant (can't recall the name) at the end of terminal one. If you have the time, walk to Terminal one, get some exercise and get some decent food.

The AC lounge is bigger than it seams, make sure you visit the other side, more bathrooms, more lounge chairs, and quieter. Only recently did I discover the other side of the AC lounge. Creature of habit.

Another little note, the USO shares a lounge with AA employees inside of security at the front of the "L" gates. Lots of snacks, food and beverages. If you can get in, it is better that AC, other than no booze.

Finally, I fly ORD weekly, to destinations in all directions, and since the ANC reschedule, the worst I had was a 50 minute delay to LAS. The winter ORD issue is more of a myth than fact. The new runways and reduced flight loads have made ORD a very dependable airport year round.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:23 pm

Smile Cle-

Please note error in comments:

Cle had the first rapid transit train in the terminal in the USA. It is 24 min
terminal to down town terminal $2.50
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by jpzeller
Two words: Global Entry
I wish I could

From my experience, immigration at ORD is the worst among the AA hubs(except LAX) for non-US passport holders.
I have never entered US thru LAX, so I don't know about the immigration at LAX.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by beachfan
Will American put an ExP up at the Hilton if there is IRROPS requiring an overnight?
I've been put up there as GLD. However it wasn't one of the options offered at the gate (AE flight to MSN which got cancelled at the last minute). I went up to the ticket counter and essentially told them I wasn't leaving until I had either a towncar to MSN or a voucher for the ORD Hilton and somehow a previously nonexistent room somehow opened up .
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by austin_res
I use ORD mainly flying to Chicago; I rarely connect in ORD. I agree that the signage is very good and helps travelers get to where they need to be.

PDX, SEA, PHL, and BWI also have direct train access to their respective cities, in addition to ORD and DCA.
So does STL.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Himeno
Why no concourses A, D, I, J at ORD? (I assume 'I' is because it looks like "1")
There is no J concourse because "j" and "g" are sounds that are too easily confused, and there is a G concourse at O'Hare.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
And certainly many airlines would hate to refer to "Concourse Delta"... (though it would not be in T3 anyway); I already chuckle to hear some employees call out the gates using proper ICAO code, such as DFW Terminal "A as in Alpha", "C as in Charlie" - but it's always "D as in David".

G, H, K and L are mostly logical and as you say, more easily to differentiate when calling them out. (And I don't think I have ever heard anyone at ORD refer to the International Terminal as "Concourse M", though that might be me...)

Originally Posted by 2millionquest
There is no J concourse because "j" and "g" are sounds that are too easily confused, and there is a G concourse at O'Hare.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just to be precise - AA metal traveling overseas departs from Terminal 3 meaning no having to leave airside. Iberia to Madrid also leaves from the K concourse. In other words...any outbound international flights on one world can be connected to fairly easily. Inbound...sure security has to be re-cleared...just like pretty much any other US facility.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by davidgrahammd
Just to be precise - AA metal traveling overseas departs from Terminal 3 meaning no having to leave airside. Iberia to Madrid also leaves from the K concourse. In other words...any outbound international flights on one world can be connected to fairly easily. Inbound...sure security has to be re-cleared...just like pretty much any other US facility.
Any outbound flights on oneworld except CX, that is.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: QFF
In other words...any outbound international flights on one world can be connected to fairly easily.
Not so. 6 Oneworld members currently serve ORD. 3 (AA, JL, IB) depart from T3, 3 (BA, RJ, CX) depart from T5. When AB starts service to ORD next March, they will also depart from T5. When/If MX resumes service, they will also be in T5.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Mea Culpa - I forgot about CX and JL. For come reason, I don't usually see their planes as I am taxiing in and out of T3 so they slipped my mind. I will stand by not having to leave airside for BA thanks to the shuttle.

Again, mea culpa. I shall strive to improve
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Mea Culpa - I forgot about CX and JL. For come reason, I don't usually see their planes as I am taxiing in and out of T3 so they slipped my mind. I will stand by not having to leave airside for BA thanks to the shuttle.

Again, mea culpa. I shall strive to improve
Going to have to mea culpa x2 : JL actually departs from T3 (which I think is relatively new, seeing as the signs pointing to the AC/FL as JL lounges are all hand-made on office printers). Perhaps you were referring to RJ?

In all honesty, not sure why CX doesn't pool together with BA in offering the shuttle service; all they'd have to do is start it two hours earlier (since the sole CX flight leaves two hours before the first BA flight) and I can't imagine it being that expensive. Plus, it would give people less reason to choose UA (since airside connections are no problem).

I understand why RJ doesn't; seems difficult since their service isn't daily and their flight sort of conflicts with the last BA flight, necessitating more buses, not just more service with the same buses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.