Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need passport for stop over before international flight?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Need passport for stop over before international flight?

Hi,
My wife and I are using an AA reward with a stopover at the gateway city (flying KOA-LAX, wait 5 months, LAX-LHR). AA website will not allow online check-in without a passport, so that got me wondering. Do we need our passports in KOA in order to board that first leg? We live in so cal, and it wouldn't really occur to me to take our passports on vacation to Hawaii, but I don't want to get stranded there because it would look like we are flying an international itinerary without passports. (Plus since our current passports are expired, I guess I would need to expedite since it is about 1 month out). Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm fairly certain that you don't need to present a passport for KOA-LAX if you have a five-month stopover at LAX before your LHR flight. If you had a five hour connection at LAX, you'd have to show your passport at KOA.

Someome asked this very question a few weeks ago. Same answer.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by swallaby
Hi,
My wife and I are using an AA reward with a stopover at the gateway city (flying KOA-LAX, wait 5 months, LAX-LHR). AA website will not allow online check-in without a passport, so that got me wondering. Do we need our passports in KOA in order to board that first leg? We live in so cal, and it wouldn't really occur to me to take our passports on vacation to Hawaii, but I don't want to get stranded there because it would look like we are flying an international itinerary without passports. (Plus since our current passports are expired, I guess I would need to expedite since it is about 1 month out). Thanks in advance for your advice!
You won't need a passport to fly to KOA since it's a state in the US and you can get a passport during the 5 months you are there. On the way back they may ask for your passport before you start your journey out of KOA and then again in LAX to start your journey to LHR. But that is in 5 months.

Sean
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Of course you shouldn't need your passports to board the KOA-LAX flight with a five month stopover. However, remember that you're at the mercy of the ticket counter agent as well as the gate agent. They often don't know or don't understand the rules. Once they make a[n often snap and uninformed] decision, they rarely will go back on it, even when presented with the rules which show that they are wrong.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stiphy
You won't need a passport to fly to KOA since it's a state in the US and you can get a passport during the 5 months you are there. On the way back they may ask for your passport before you start your journey out of KOA and then again in LAX to start your journey to LHR. But that is in 5 months.

Sean
Just to be clear, We will be staying only 1 week in KOA. So the itinerary looks like this: (in 1 month) LAX-KOA (1 week) KOA-LAX (5 months) LAX-LHR. With KOA-LAX-LHR being a single reward ticket. My question is about the bolded part in your statement. If it is considered a single flight, I can see the possible logic for requiring a passport to fly KOA-LAX even though there is 5 months between flights. Would prefer not to pay for expedited passports but don't want to get stranded in Hawaii (no matter how lovely it is) due to a technicality.

I agree I shouldn't have to, but I wouldn't mind some confirmation from someone who has done it before...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I think the best solution would be to call AA up and have the AAgent notate your PNR directly. That way you can cite it if you have any issues at the airport.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Found this thread by searching: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-required.html
ESpen36's answer seems quite clear. Ok, I'll stop worrying. Thanks for your help everyone! :-)
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Here's a really good idea.

Apply NOW for your new passports, as in today or tomorrow. That way your application will be in the works. If your new passports arrive before you leave for Hawaii, then great, take them along and no worries.

If they don't arrive, and if it's an issue when you check in to return to LA, then explain the situation. Might not be a bad idea to have a paper printout of the passport status in your possession.

We renewed our non-expired passports this year. We mailed them in on July 24 and got them back Aug 15, without requesting expedited delivery. You can track the progress of your passport application online at www.state.gov.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by swallaby
Hi,
They would ask for your passport in KOA, ONLY if KOA agents were to issue the boarding pass for LAX-LHR. They are not, because it is months away. So you will be fine.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
I know this may sound like a silly question, but have you entered your passport details into the reservation? If not, that is likely the reason you cannot check in. I successfully checked in online for JFK-LAX-Mexico with an overnight at LAX and didn't need a passport at JFK either. The agent asked if I wanted my BP for the following day and I said I'd just get it at LAX but would rather get through security and to the lounge at JFK. My passport information was, however, properly entered into the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.