Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ recommends booking away from AA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardd
Or should we mandate all businesses being run superbly like Southwest was under Herb so nobody was ever interested in a strike, even though they had organized?
Oh, the irony. One of the reason for the pilot strife is because AA pilots don't want to work as many hours as Herb has their pilots work!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emma dog
-AA will be responsible for your rebooking regardless of type of ticket
That's good to know... I had a coworker who booked his wife on a Delta award ticket. When that flight cancelled, the Delta GA refused to put her on a UA flight with availability leaving that day, saying that UA wouldn't accept the award ticket, or something to that effect.

I'm based out of ORD, so there are plenty of options on other carriers (DL, UA, and AF have directs to CDG)... good to know I have a shot getting there if I'm part of the 5%.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:40 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by nethead25
That's good to know... I had a coworker who booked his wife on a Delta award ticket. When that flight cancelled, the Delta GA refused to put her on a UA flight with availability leaving that day, saying that UA wouldn't accept the award ticket, or something to that effect.

I'm based out of ORD, so there are plenty of options on other carriers (DL, UA, and AF have directs to CDG)... good to know I have a shot getting there if I'm part of the 5%.
There may be some miscommunication here... AA may be able to accommodate you on BA or IB due to their JV relationship (though I'm not 100% sure), but it's true that other airlines, like DL or UA, are not going to accept an endorsed award ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Facts:
-AA will be responsible for your rebooking regardless of type of ticket
Problem is that if you're on a vacation (or trying to reach somewhere for a crucial event), and the onward connection only has 1 flight a day with no reasonable alternatives on other airlines, you'll be really SOL.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by 787fan
Problem is that if you're on a vacation (or trying to reach somewhere for a crucial event), and the onward connection only has 1 flight a day with no reasonable alternatives on other airlines, you'll be really SOL.
Another reason why considering travel insurance is a good idea.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Several prominent travel gurus say it's too early to "book away" from American....

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/L...le-3881682.php
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
The above contains quite a pithy quote from Crandall, many AA employees' favorite former CEO:

In each instance, the airline went to court to force pilots to speed things up. Crandall said American might be forced to do the same thing this time.

"It is perfectly obvious that this is a job action by the pilots," Crandall said. "I think it's childish, it's self-defeating and it's harmful to the company and to other employees."

American is particularly vulnerable to long-term damage if passengers choose other carriers because it is already in bankruptcy and weak compared with bigger rivals United and Delta, he said.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bernardd
So what exactly are you suggesting? This group already has a LOT of restrictions on when and how it can take industrial action, which is part of the reason you're seeing this style of action.
Are there any restrictions on publicizing what it is that they feel is unfair in order to gain sympathy and perhaps action from the general public? How about good old fashioned pickets? Visiting the morning news programs? Or at least trying that first before taking it to the next level and randomly inconveniencing thousands of innocent passengers?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishferbrains
Another reason why considering travel insurance is a good idea.
Its coverage is quite limited. TravelGuard (one of the biggest) reads:

If, while on a Trip, the Insured misses a Trip departure resulting from cancellation or delay of 3 or more hours of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather or Common Carrier caused delay, the Insurer will reimburse the Insured up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule for:
1. additional transportation expenses incurred by the Insured to join the departed Trip;
2. prepaid, non-refundable Trip payments for the unused portion of the Trip.

The Common Carrier must certify the delay of the regularly scheduled airline flight.
Coverage is secondary if reimbursable by any other source
So it will probably work if you're going on a cruise AND have scheduled 3.5+ hour connections, but not if you're trying to get in time for a wedding or just not losing some vacation time or your connections are such that a 2 hour delay would make you miss your connection.

IMHO travel insurance is mostly illusion of coverage and is overall a bad deal for the purchaser given the prices (note: medical evacuation insurance with few exclusions is another matter).
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by dw
There may be some miscommunication here... AA may be able to accommodate you on BA or IB due to their JV relationship (though I'm not 100% sure), but it's true that other airlines, like DL or UA, are not going to accept an endorsed award ticket.
Not necessarily true. The "price" of the ticket doesn't matter to the other airline as that's not what DL, for example, is reimbursed by AA. Rules 240 and 80 in AA's contract of carriage explain what happens during cancellation... It clearly states AAdvantage tickets are treated the same as a "paid" ticket. Now, AA may drag their feet on switching someone to another airline to save money, but that's a different situation.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Hmmm... There are too many facts missing to really say what happened. For example, if the word "weather" could be attached to the delay, then DL isn't under any obligation to move you to another airline. Alternatively, could be anything ranging from bad agent to bad communication between the agent and your friend, etc. or maybe the agent knew there weren't any UA flights available with the remaining time... Too much speculation.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This isn't the Delta forum but I can tell you Delta's contract of carriage doesn't require DL to reroute a passenger on the flights of another carrier, even on paid tickets, even when the delay/cancellation is Delta's fault.

(That said, DL has offered me a reroute on another carrier when traveling on an award, as recently as last month.)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by able
I went to college with a guy who went into the USAF and later matriculated to American. He came from a conservative background and termed himself one. His words; "I never believed in unions but a year at American has changed my mind."

In a way you have answered your own question. They don't change at all. You just cant see things from their perspective because now it's YOU who are suffering some inconvenience.

I doubt very much that you look out for a third party over your own interests yet when pilots do so you take it personally.

Though pilots are loathe to inconvenience passengers they are not going to go out of their way to compensate for management's shortcomings anymore either.

Because they don't place your interests in front of their own you term them "robotic, petty, greedy, selfish, self-centered, little people". I think your rant is quite revealing about what kind of person you are.

Since you are unhappy riding airliners in order to do your job I happily suggest you change careers so that you no longer have to suffer.
Thanks so much for the kind words, keen insight, and interpreting (incorrectly) that I am unhappy riding airliners.

Fly safely.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Not necessarily true. The "price" of the ticket doesn't matter to the other airline as that's not what DL, for example, is reimbursed by AA. Rules 240 and 80 in AA's contract of carriage explain what happens during cancellation... It clearly states AAdvantage tickets are treated the same as a "paid" ticket. Now, AA may drag their feet on switching someone to another airline to save money, but that's a different situation.
As far as I know, these are not in AA's contract of carriage. They are a suggestion to ticketing agents in their agency and, as such, they are not bound by them. They have tended to follow these in most cases I have read, but there is no legal obligation. Unless, of course, this has changed and it has been moved into the CoC in addition to the "agency" section that you linked.

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
My fiancée and I are leaving on our honeymoon October 5th from ORD-CDG on an AA award ticket.

I'm contemplating cancelling the AA leg and moving to UA... what are the odds this goes on a few weeks and would impact a transat?

I'm scared that in the event of a cancellation, rebooking on another airline is going to be tough or impossible on an award ticket...
I share your concerns. I have an award ticket to ZRH and LHR. I've been looking forward to a stress free vacation, but reading this thread (and others on FT) worried me. So I re-booked, and all my flights are now on BA. I figure why play games with my long anticipated vacation? If I were flying for work, then I wouldn't care as much. Just my 2 cents.

ERQ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.