Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues / Problems as a new AA Flyer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Issues / Problems as a new AA Flyer

I'm a gold Delta flyer who recently flew to Paris from Dallas (after a connection) on AA in economy. I decided to fly AA because it was cheaper and I've been increasingly fustrated with my options to redeem flights on Delta. I wanted to post this for thoughts on what I did wrong, or how common the issues were.

1. I only brought a carry-on, because I had a very short layovers on the flights and didn't want to lose a bag (and I didn't want to wait for a bag). Both legs of the domestic portion of the trip I was told I had to check my bag because there wasn't room on board. On my way there, I talked my way into the flight attendants finding a spot, but going back I had to check (and then the bags were late coming out). This was incredibly fustrating. It never happened to me on Delta, but then I have status there.

I was in group 4 both times, is there a way out of this group? I really hate that airlines have created this absurdity of everyone trying to put a ton of luggage over their heads while the cargo bay below is empty, but I know this is the new way. If you are the last to board, you may not get to carryon.

2. The flights didn't have the entertainment systems. In the past few years I haven't been on a Delta long haul flight without them--is there a way to know which AA flights will have them and which ones won't?

3. The flights were late. 1 hour late into paris, 2 hours late back home. Could happen on any airline and on any route, but still fustrating. Especially coming home as I then needed to wait for a bag that should have been a carry-on.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dorsey
1. I only brought a carry-on, because I had a very short layovers on the flights and didn't want to lose a bag (and I didn't want to wait for a bag). Both legs of the domestic portion of the trip I was told I had to check my bag because there wasn't room on board. On my way there, I talked my way into the flight attendants finding a spot, but going back I had to check (and then the bags were late coming out). This was incredibly fustrating. It never happened to me on Delta, but then I have status there.

I was in group 4 both times, is there a way out of this group? I really hate that airlines have created this absurdity of everyone trying to put a ton of luggage over their heads while the cargo bay below is empty, but I know this is the new way. If you are the last to board, you may not get to carryon.
Hi, Dorsey. AA boards Executive Platinums and Platinums first, then Group 1 (Golds and those who have purchased priority access boarding), then group 2, 3, 4, and 5. There has been a lot of discussion on how 2, 3, 4, and 5 are selected, general consensus is that 2 is farthest to the rear, 5 closest to the front, and window seats may be a lower group number than aisles. Best way to make sure there is bin room for your carryon is to purchase priority access boarding. Next best way is to sit all the way in the back, preferably a window seat.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:56 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Unfortunately, your carry on issue is probably going to be the case no matter what (legacy) airline one flies these days, since after elites and credit card holders (who, on UA, DL and AA now all have "priority" boarding), well over 50% (and for some flights that's definitely a very, very conservative figure) of the cabin will have boarded. So if you will be flying more on AA without status, you may want to look into signing up for a Citi AA card.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

The card would actually just be for a free bag, right?

I actually had a free bag because it was an international flight, but on the domestic connection they wanted me to check my bag. I only had a 40 min. layover, so I protested a bit because I anticipated a delayed bag, and they found me a spot. That was a bit scary though.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well I'm an AA EXP that occassionally flys DL as non status. First, I usually purchase a $30 SC day pass at the kiosk. With the free food and drink (I'm not picky so I can make a meal) along with the free wifi (not all airports have) and the chance to often shower it more than pays for itself. I like the little amenities kits in the SC showers. Since its a day pass I can reuse if I have a connection later that day. Unfortuately, AA is $50 (no kiosk discount) and complimentary food offerings are well less than the SC.

Second, as others have said I get a window seat in the back of the plane. Since I'm short E+ really gives me no advantage, you are still likely wedged in next to a stranger. I also try to travel with as small bags as I can so there is little chance of need to check.

Third, I always come self entertained. Even when I have flown DL transcon the in flight entertainment selection is limited and not complimentary (IIRC $6 for a movie, $2 for other tv.)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
re: your bags - the same thing happens to me every single time I fly Delta. Unfortunately, it is just life without status the the age of checked bag fees. As someone else stated, researching how boarding is determined for ANY airline you do not have status with is a good idea in the future - as is researching the costs for "priority boarding".

re: entertainment - most of the flights do have wifi. This is how I entertain myself but can understand how frustrating it must be when you plan on amusing yourself a certain way and find you cannot - the first time that happened to me was when I was on a non-American flight and discovered I was going to have a VERY long cross-country flight with no books and an iPhone battery that does not last that long.

re: the flights - Under normal circumstances that happens on all airlines. I've had pretty much every airline delay me at least once. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast. If you flew very recently (as in returned sometime over the past few days), a lot of people have been experiencing delays and I can assure you we are as unhappy with it as you are.

In the future, if you intend to fly a reasonable amount on another airline, you may want to look into getting your status matched/completing a status challenge. This will provide you with some of the better perks which you have likely come to expect on your current airline (priority boarding and baggage handling and such). It is important to note that you can only do it once, so you may want to consider doing it at the beginning of next year if you do not have any other AA flights planned - that way you get to test the perks for an entire year (after completing the challenge) and see how flying that airline would REALLY be for you in the future.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Many cards now allow priority boarding - so you board after every Tom, Dick and Harriet who has status, BusinessExtrAA, one of various cards, etc. so by the time you board, there's no room in the overhead compartments and they counter-check your bag.

The times issue - there's a current thread discussing the APA (pilots) and their reaction to the recent Chapter 11 court decision and how they are doing a "work to rule" that is producing truly dismal on time departure and arrival rates.

And yes, AA has abysmal IFE in Economy, which it plans to rectify with the new aircraft coming online, rather than retrofitting a number of older aircraft. (The newer aircraft are coming equipped with new bins, which hold bags lengthwise on their sides - allowing more bags in the cabin.)

The card would actually just be for a free bag, right?

I actually had a free bag because it was an international flight, but on the domestic connection they wanted me to check my bag. I only had a 40 min. layover, so I protested a bit because I anticipated a delayed bag, and they found me a spot. That was a bit scary though.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Third, I always come self entertained. Even when I have flown DL transcon the in flight entertainment selection is limited and not complimentary (IIRC $6 for a movie, $2 for other tv.)
I have never had a charge...I guess the moral of the story is that flying without status is quite a bit more unpleasant than with status.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
From what I've seen the last few years, AA is actually pretty good about not having to gate check any bags due to space. Most of my flights are MD80s, and the extended bins help a lot. Business flights are always the worst (out of hubs Monday morning, into hubs Thursday & Fridays), and as winter approaches and more pax have heavy coats, it will inevitably get worse. But if you had to gate check on both domestic flights, you were just unlucky.

The advice from others on ways to get a better boarding group are valid, but if a delay means a connection gets tight, and you arrive well after the most others have boarded, then the low group number won't be any help...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:34 am

I have never had a charge...I guess the moral of the story is that flying without status is quite a bit more unpleasant than with status.
I'm often reminded of this when I travel internationally and fly around foreign countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.