FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Passengers Openly Changing Diapers in Business Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1388682-passengers-openly-changing-diapers-business-class.html)

All American Flyer Sep 17, 2012 11:55 pm

Passengers Openly Changing Diapers in Business Class

I was coming back from Europe the other day in Business Class on the 763 and I was appalled by the actions of the couple seated across the aisle from me.

They were traveling with a lap infant and literally started to change the infant's diaper openly in the aisle seat. Not only did they not visit the restroom, where these things ought to be handled, but they did not even attempt to cover up what they were doing with a blanket, etc.

When I asked them respectfully to go to the restroom, they responded disrespectfully, saying, "You don't have to look." Quite a ridiculous idea, considering I was right next to them. I wouldn't want to see a grown man (or woman) naked in the aisle, so I don't see why seeing a baby naked in the aisle is any more acceptable.

Was I out of line in saying something? Or should I have reported it to the FA?

capitolm94 Sep 18, 2012 12:06 am

Was it on the seat, tray or floor?

It doesnt really bother me, but I have changed alot of diapers so am rather inured to it. Having said that, I wouldn't do it either since you never know who might get upset!

skylady Sep 18, 2012 12:26 am

Not sure what the FA can do, since it's not an FAR.

TheDudeAbides Sep 18, 2012 12:37 am

The problem with commercial air travel is all the other humans who may not do things exactly like you or exactly to your liking. I wonder if you did anything that they didn't care for. Two words for you: fractional share.

ashill Sep 18, 2012 1:13 am

Originally Posted by All American Flyer (Post 19334671)
I wouldn't want to see a grown man (or woman) naked in the aisle, so I don't see why seeing a baby naked in the aisle is any more acceptable.

Um, seriously? I don't think a naked baby is equivalent to a naked adult (or school-aged child). Kids run around naked in public (on the beach, for example) to well beyond diaper age, and I have no problem with that; under parental control while changing a diaper bothers me even less. I'd be more bothered by the smell, if there was any.

Was I out of line in saying something?
No, you're very welcome to say something when something displeases you; I, for one, appreciate it as everyone has different norms and I try to be respectful of those around me. I wouldn't stop midway through changing, but I might go somewhere else next time. I also don't think the content of the parents' response was out of line, though they obviously shouldn't be disrespectful or rude.

Austinrunner Sep 18, 2012 1:18 am

We have a thread for this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-about-43.html

Or maybe this special interest forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children

ExpatExp Sep 18, 2012 1:29 am

I wouldn't appreciate the smells associated with the interior of used diapers in any cabin, to say nothing of potential sanitary issues. Out of courtesy of others' noses and a desire to maintain cleanliness, the fold-down changing table in the lav is the right place for changing diapers.

As for nakedness, I don't really care. I'd tend to agree that you don't have to look. But to me, nakedness is not really the issue when it comes to diaper changing in any cabin.

Austinrunner Sep 18, 2012 1:33 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp (Post 19334894)
I wouldn't appreciate the smells associated with the interior of used diapers in any cabin....

What about the smell of expelled intestinal gas by adults? Or the poo smells that escape lavatories and are inflicted on nearby seated passengers? Or the smells of stinky feet? Or burped up Mexican food? Or just plain body odor or bad breath?

NYTA Sep 18, 2012 1:34 am

Not a nakedness issue but a sanitary one. My two kids (and many other people's kids) have sometimes taken the "open air" as a sign that they should pee or poop again and it ends up all over the place. Almost all airlines have changing tables in the lavs, and that is where the baby should be changed.

The FA should have told them to do this there and the passenger is correct to think it is an etiquette breach.

Austinrunner Sep 18, 2012 1:36 am

Urine is sterile.

jerumagrinberga Sep 18, 2012 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner (Post 19334914)
Urine is sterile.

Great - why don't you start offering it to fellow passengers as a pre-departure beverage and see the response you get.

IMHO, this behaviour is absolutely disgusting and should not be tolerated. at all. . People eat off of those tray tables(yes, yes I know how unsanitary those surfaces can be, but that is not helped by a small pooping/peeing human being located on one).

azepine00 Sep 18, 2012 2:09 am

#1 or #2?
I am OK with one but probably not the other...;)

skylady Sep 18, 2012 2:36 am

Then they want to hand it to the same FA that is about to serve you dinner. No thank you:td:

skylady Sep 18, 2012 2:38 am

We really need to decide if this a hotel, living room, or an airplane!

bnordman Sep 18, 2012 2:51 am

How many of the "disgusted by this"-folks are parents that have changed a diaper?

Also, if you are a parent and feel this was inappropriate, then you should experience trying to change the diaper of a child > 30 inch while < 2 year old in that tiny bathroom. It is virtually impossible since the diaper changing table is way too small and you can't order your child to behave the way you want to.

So until the airlines aren't providing bigger changing tables or a separate area to change the child, I don't have another choice then changing it right there and then. (which I assume is true for a lot of others...)

Having said all of this, I do believe that asking politely to move or so is not an issue and if possible, the parents should try to comply...