Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can an EXP select 1A and 1K on a BA reward flight?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AF Plat & QR Plat (all the hard way), AA 3MM (worthless), smattering of others
Can an EXP select 1A and 1K on a BA reward flight?

My partner is Plat, I am EXP and we have both booked an upcoming BA flight in First with AA miles (separate PNRs). When logging in to the BA site I can select either 1A or 1K, but when may partner logs in he cannot. Similar issue with the EXP Desk -- they can select 1A or 1K for me but that cannot select either for my partner. Neither of us have status in BA's program, other than our OneWorld status due to AA. I know BA Golds can select 1A and 1K but I am trying to figure out why I can and why my partner cannot. Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
BA Golds and other oneworld Emeralds can select these seats in advance. As such, the system is working as designed. I'd suggest selecting 1A and 2A and asking at the airport to change the latter to 1K if it's still available.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AF Plat & QR Plat (all the hard way), AA 3MM (worthless), smattering of others
Thanks. Do 1A and 1K open up to everyone at 72 hours or 24 hours?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
In my experience (same situation: one EXP one Platinum), neither. I had to request the seat at the airport for my travelling companion.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:37 pm

Both parties have to be BA Gold or OW Emerald to get 1A/1K. As far as I know, even companions of BA Gold who aren't BA Gold or OW Emerald aren't allowed to get these seats in advance, regardless of same PNR or not

My recollection is poor but my brain is leaning towards a T-24 cutoff before these seats are open to all. You can check the BA forum (info is posted in one of their nifty FAQs)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by econflyer
My recollection is poor but my brain is leaning towards a T-24 cutoff before these seats are open to all.
This was not the case for me earlier this year, for what it's worth. They never became available to my AA Platinum/oneworld Sapphire companion and had to be assigned at the airport. I even called You First to see if they could assign them over the phone, but that failed as well. YMMV.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by econflyer
Both parties have to be BA Gold or OW Emerald to get 1A/1K. As far as I know, even companions of BA Gold who aren't BA Gold or OW Emerald aren't allowed to get these seats in advance, regardless of same PNR or not

My recollection is poor but my brain is leaning towards a T-24 cutoff before these seats are open to all. You can check the BA forum (info is posted in one of their nifty FAQs)
This is correct. Only OWE can select 1A/1K. No partners/travelling companions are extended this ability unless they too are OWE. I've done this many times with a BA reservation using my EXP credentials.

At T-24 anyone can select 1A/1K as part of the online checkin process.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
what's so special about 1A / 1K? if on 744, i believe all to be same..
Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by galaticos
what's so special about 1A / 1K? if on 744, i believe all to be same..
They are at the front of a dead end cabin, where the fuselage comes together so although they are both window seats there is only the aisle in between, and they are close enough to have a conversation across the aisle. Desirable for a couple; I prefer 2A/K when traveling solo as there is more privacy.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:30 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Some friends both AA Platinum/OW-Sapphire have BA Award seats using Avios Points booked on LCY-JFK but BA will not change from the BA No-Status Number in the reservation to their AA Platinum/Sapphire Number thereby effectively preventing them doing Free Seat Reseravtions. Has anybody else encountered a similar situation?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Some friends both AA Platinum/OW-Sapphire have BA Award seats using Avios Points booked on LCY-JFK but BA will not change from the BA No-Status Number in the reservation to their AA Platinum/Sapphire Number thereby effectively preventing them doing Free Seat Reseravtions. Has anybody else encountered a similar situation?
There is no way to do this online (anymore) so you have to convince someone at BA to do it for you over the phone (which as you have shared can be quite difficult). A better strategy might be asking for seat reservations and then providing the AA PLT number rather than asking to change the number associated with the reservation.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:17 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The answer is no. 1A is reserved for BA Gold Card or Premier. You may be able to chose is, but within minutes the system will override it.

OWE should be able to select 1K.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by m0hamed
The answer is no. 1A is reserved for BA Gold Card or Premier. You may be able to chose is, but within minutes the system will override it.

OWE should be able to select 1K.
False, I am flying LHR-SEA in F tomorrow and had 1A available from booking (though selected 1K which I prefer).
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Savvy regulars of the BA forum have found a workaround. See here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ked-avios.html
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
They are at the front of a dead end cabin, where the fuselage comes together so although they are both window seats there is only the aisle in between, and they are close enough to have a conversation across the aisle. Desirable for a couple; I prefer 2A/K when traveling solo as there is more privacy.
Should I be concerned that Mrs. SFO has told me "no more 1AK" for us?
She wanted and I complied with 2AK on our upcoming BA flight. Hmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.