FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   1st checked bag free on award travel? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1387016-1st-checked-bag-free-award-travel.html)

raj_cl Sep 12, 2012 5:40 pm

1st checked bag free on award travel?

I don't have any status on AA. Booking one-way domestic US (12,500 miles) ticket for my mother-in-law, and paying security fees by Citi AA Visa.

Will she get the 1st checked bag free?

Any way to confirm after I make the reservation? Since I've heard/seen varying responses on this question?

Also, does the 24 hr reservation guarantee apply to award travel also? Meaning can I cancel the trip within 24 hrs and miles will be re-deposited with no fees?

Thanks!

hillrider Sep 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by raj_cl (Post 19304339)
I've heard/seen varying responses on this question?

Asking here will give you another set of varying responses.

The only "response" that AA will accept is the one it publishes, which can be found at www.aa.com (enter [baggage allowance] in the search box or, for your convenience, go directly to https://www.aa.com/baggage).

Pedro M Sep 12, 2012 5:54 pm

Also, does the 24 hr reservation guarantee apply to award travel also? Meaning can I cancel the trip within 24 hrs and miles will be re-deposited with no fees?

Thanks!

You can make the reservation and put it on hold for 24 hours. No miles will be taken out of your account until you purchase the ticket before the reservation expires.

guv1976 Sep 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Pedro M

Thanks!

You can make the reservation and put it on hold for 24 hours. No miles will be taken out of your account until you purchase the ticket before the reservation expires.

You can actual hold an award reservation for five days, not just 24 hours. But once the reservation is actually ticketed, I don't think that a non-EXP can re-deposit the miles without paying the $150 fee.

raj_cl Sep 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone have an experience where they were not charged a first bag fee, on AA award travel, when paying the taxes through their Citi AA Visa card?

beerup Sep 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by raj_cl (Post 19322181)
Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone have an experience where they were not charged a first bag fee, on AA award travel, when paying the taxes through their Citi AA Visa card?

Paying with a Citi AAdvantage card has no bearing on benefits received. Holders of said card (assuming it is one of the cards that qualifies for additional benefits) receive benefits such as free checked baggage regardless of whether they pay with the card or not. The benefits are conferred to flights associated with the AAdvantage number assigned to the card. These benefits don't transfer to others, even if the flight (or taxes for an award) is paid for with the card

ChiFlyer Sep 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Admittedly, it's a little difficult to find this info on AA.com. Go to this link and then select 'Exceptions May Apply' for the travel you are trying to book.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...aggage_charges

There are differences based upon the class and type of award. Hope this helps.

JDiver Sep 16, 2012 12:44 pm

As ChiFlyer points out, it's on aa.com. The Exceptions, Domestic, to first bag for $25 include:

Code:

FLIGHTS WITHIN THE UNITED STATES, THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS, PUERTO RICO

The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and/or 2nd
checked bag at no additional charge provided it falls within the size and
weight limitations. These free checked bag allowances apply on flights
operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, and AmericanConnection®.
On codeshare flights operated by other carriers, the baggage allowance and
charges of the operating carrier apply.

For customers traveling to or from destinations in Brazil and Asia
Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders
American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage
Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, MVP Gold and MVP members
oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines
AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold
member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member
regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group
bookings)
First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards

First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in

MileSAAver Economy domestic flyers pay for their first bag.

Stripe Sep 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Free bags, access to premium seats, and free standby are a nice consolation for having to spend the extra miles for an AAnytime award. Other airlines give you nothing extra.

mvoight Sep 16, 2012 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 19325596)
As ChiFlyer points out, it's on aa.com. The Exceptions, Domestic, to first bag for $25 include:

Code:

FLIGHTS WITHIN THE UNITED STATES, THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS, PUERTO RICO

The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and/or 2nd
checked bag at no additional charge provided it falls within the size and
weight limitations. These free checked bag allowances apply on flights
operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, and AmericanConnection®.
On codeshare flights operated by other carriers, the baggage allowance and
charges of the operating carrier apply.

For customers traveling to or from destinations in Brazil and Asia
Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders
American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage
Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, MVP Gold and MVP members
oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines
AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold
member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member
regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group
bookings)
First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards

First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in

MileSAAver Economy domestic flyers pay for their first bag.

This doesn't seem to show any info at all for the credit card, so I don't think this is the answer. We know there are exceptions for the cardholder and people traveling with him. I don't know whether this applies to an MS award booking or not, but I am pretty sure it doesn't apply to non cardholders traveling without the cardholder.

Austinrunner Sep 17, 2012 3:41 am

Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage VISA Signature card:

For benefit to apply, at the time of booking, Citi® / AAdvantage® account must have been open at least 7 days and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number. This benefit is valid for travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, this benefit will be cancelled. Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier to domestic destinations. Up to four customers traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get their first checked bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation. Waiver does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing AAdvantage® elite program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. Please see www.aa.com for baggage weight and size restrictions. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.