Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Does AA ever upgrade without stickers (non EXP) [operational upgrade]

Old Sep 7, 12, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold

Just curious if this every happens. Like if the flight is very empty and there are seats available in first (i.e not enough used stickers or EXP on the flight) will they every just bump other reward PLT or GLD members?

I tried searching but couldn't find this.
Old Sep 7, 12, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, AA does not.

If economy is oversold, then AA will roll the cabins (aka "operational upgrade") to free up economy seats to reduce the oversold situation.

Just 'cause? Nope.

Cue the "One time at Band Camp" stories that contradict the above . . .
Old Sep 7, 12, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The only time you might see a Platinum or Gold flyer moved up front would be if coach is oversold and they're out of EXP flyers to move forward.
Old Sep 7, 12, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. Coach is definitely not oversold (Sat morning flight)
Old Sep 7, 12, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM, AA EXP, *Wood PLT / Lifetime Gold, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Cue the "One time at Band Camp" stories that contradict the above . . .
Not the norm, but this one time at band camp, two or three years ago I was flying DTW-DFW and there were 5 in Y and 1 in F. After takeoff the FAs moved everyone to F and gave us the full F service (meal, free drinks, etc.).

So maybe if you happen upon a flight that has fewer passengers than F seats or you can somehow convince most of the rest of the passengers on your flight to not to fly, you might have a shot.
Old Sep 7, 12, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by jmanirish View Post
Just curious if this every happens. Like if the flight is very empty and there are seats available in first (i.e not enough used stickers or EXP on the flight) will they every just bump other reward PLT or GLD members?

I tried searching but couldn't find this.
It never hurts to ask VERY NICELY if you can be upgraded but you don't have any way of doing so. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old Sep 7, 12, 12:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"If you have too many of us in back and not enough in front, I can volunteer to help with the aircraft weight and balance..."
Old Sep 7, 12, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
"If you have too many of us in back and not enough in front, I can volunteer to help with the aircraft weight and balance..."
Definitely what I'm going with. Hopefully a smile at 6AM on a Saturday does it
Old Sep 7, 12, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TSA Pre, Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold
It happened today...I believe...on a flight that I was on from MSP to MIA on a 738. I got my upgrade at 100 hours and there was only one other seat occupied in F. When I checked in this morning, I thought about changing to a window seat and F was still wide open. There were a few empty seats in F once everyone got onboard. Y seemed half full as well.

When the FA closed the forward doors, she allowed two women to move up from Y into 1A & 1B. The GA never came on board.

I can't say for certain that they didn't use stickers, but I could tell that these ladies had never been in F before (no idea how to open tray table, confused about where to put their bags).

I think that is a nice gesture, especially on a Friday flight to Miami. They were probably going on vacation and this will start them off in a great mood.
Old Sep 7, 12, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
The only time you might see a Platinum or Gold flyer moved up front would be if coach is oversold and they're out of EXP flyers to move forward.
I've had this happen a couple of times over the years (BUR-DFW I can remember in particular), as gold and platinum.
Old Sep 7, 12, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Today on a flight from DFW-SJC a gentleman in military uniform was offered an upgrade during the boarding process. He was put in 1E and 1F went out empty.
Old Sep 7, 12, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
It happened today...I believe...on a flight that I was on from MSP to MIA on a 738. I got my upgrade at 100 hours and there was only one other seat occupied in F. When I checked in this morning, I thought about changing to a window seat and F was still wide open. There were a few empty seats in F once everyone got onboard. Y seemed half full as well.

When the FA closed the forward doors, she allowed two women to move up from Y into 1A & 1B. The GA never came on board.

I can't say for certain that they didn't use stickers, but I could tell that these ladies had never been in F before (no idea how to open tray table, confused about where to put their bags).

I think that is a nice gesture, especially on a Friday flight to Miami. They were probably going on vacation and this will start them off in a great mood.
Not being able to use the tray tables indicates "never flown in first?"... Shoot... I need to stop getting drunk before my flight... Those buggers always seem so slippery when I pull them out of the armrest!
Old Sep 7, 12, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM PLT, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jamanatu View Post
Today on a flight from DFW-SJC a gentleman in military uniform was offered an upgrade during the boarding process. He was put in 1E and 1F went out empty.
I see this pretty regularly. I thought this was official policy, like the Admirals club admission. Isn't it?
Old Sep 7, 12, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmanirish View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. Coach is definitely not oversold (Sat morning flight)
Then band camp stories aside, it's very unlikely you would get upgraded for free.
Old Sep 7, 12, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jamanatu View Post
It is official policy for military F upgrades. However, their priority is below GLD and nonstatus passengers using some instrument to upgrade. In Y, they do get a comp snack but no comp alcohol.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: