Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Does AA ever upgrade without stickers (non EXP) [operational upgrade]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does AA ever upgrade without stickers (non EXP) [operational upgrade]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Pre-EXP I had two Op-Ups on AA on flights where I had elected not to request a sticker upgrade.

One on LAX-LAS and one (very surprisingly, given elite heaviness plus the fact I would normally request sticker upgrades) on DFW-LGA.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: Various
A Senior Citizen friend of mine traveling from ORD to MCI on AA a few years ago thought he would try asking for an upgrade.

He was in a middle seat, row 22 on an MD 80. He walked up to the GA, stated he was retired and used to work for NW Airlines, then asked "Do you have any room up front ?" His request was granted = Bulkhead Row 7.

Does that count?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
For those who have received the rare op-up, did you ask about an upgrade or were you given the upgrade without asking (e.g. GA just called your name and handed your an F boarding pass out of the blue)?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
2 things I live by:

1) If you don't ask, you don't get

2) the worst thing they can say is no
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: AA PLAT, UA 1K, Delta PLAT, Marriott Platinum, Hilton D, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dmbtr3
For those who have received the rare op-up, did you ask about an upgrade or were you given the upgrade without asking (e.g. GA just called your name and handed your an F boarding pass out of the blue)?
I've never asked, it just happened out of the blue.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lurcher
2 things I live by:

1) If you don't ask, you don't get

2) the worst thing they can say is no
I have gotten without asking. Op-ups, a couple of times. Other things, lots of times.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
I have gotten without asking. Op-ups, a couple of times. Other things, lots of times.
Same here.

Happened on Monday, actually. It was a short flight SJC-LAX, so I hadn't even bothered to put in for a 500-mile UG given we had Exit row, but maybe 20 min before boarding the GA called us over and Op-Up'ed us -- said she needed our seats, so we were quite happy.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, UA 1K, Delta PLAT, Marriott Platinum, Hilton D, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gemac
Yep!

I picked up the flu last week on a HNL/DFW. Didn't even have to ask for it.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I fly around 12/14 RT's per year, never enough to make EP but a solid Platinum (4mm lifetime); I would guess it happens to me once per year. Whenever they call my name at the gate usually something good happens.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dmbtr3
Randomly. Happened twice, once from ORD to DFW (cabin roll?). The second time was IROPS; flying DTW - MIA - DEN. Inbound aircraft diverted so I was put on DTW - DFW - DEN. Upgraded on the second leg.

I was PLT both times.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I suspect that you can find a lot of op ups on short Eagle CR700's. Very often the Y cabin will be full and F empty - that's when you see YUP fares < Y fares. For the one sticker that's involved, I usually put in for the upgrade but my guess would be if one played the op-up lottery you'd win a lot.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Reviving a slightly older thread.

I've had several non-requested upgrades to first as a lowly plat in the last 3 months. Sitting in LAX right now an just got another. caught a standby a couple months ago that was treated as a delay of the original flight (oddly). They not only upgraded me but also upgraded my travel companion (unlinked PNRs) when I said I didn't want to be upgraded alone. She had 0 status.

Happens. More rare these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.