Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Is AA preparing for carry-on fees?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Xero
How about charging for soda and water.
No problem because I usually upgrade to F/J.
When I am stuck in Y I already get a free meal and drink anyways.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
I do agree, although I hate the idea of charging to use the overhead bin , unbundling make sense. What I don't agree with is unbundling to a point where a fuel surcharge is charged on award tickets. Fuel is a MUST have for flying. I can understand a surcharge if fuel suddenly goes up for a short period, however this is not the case here. If AA started to do that on award travel for its own flights, I would expect government intervention.
YQ can be helpful too, but only on revenue tickets.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
I travel to SF for both business and leasure (domestic). In 1995, a discounted Y JFK-SFO cost $300 RT. Now I am still able to score such a ticket on Thanksgiving for under $400. How much did fuel and wages go up during these times?

I think $30 carryon fee is very fair. I never have checked bag on domestic trips. My carryon hold enough clothes to last 8 days.
So you want to pay this fee?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:39 pm

I don't mind paying. I really don't want to see AA go under or merge with US. I really would like AA to impose a fine to those people who thinks that a 25 inches suitcase is a carryon and end up have to gate check.

If everyone follow the rules it will make boarding process a lot more pleasant.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Xero
How about charging for soda and water.
Absolutely. I mean very seriously why not? I often think on countless short flights why on earth does the airline feel the need to give everyone a free soda? It is just not necessary. If I really wanted a coke that bad, I can pay for it.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:58 pm

Why not just charge per pound? Charge your body weight.

For all those who agree with this absurd, customer friendly fee, why not just go to the logical next step and charge each pax by their body weight? This way passengers can be charged proportionate to their impact upon the aircrafts lift off weight.

I travel with camera equipment and sometimes a laptop. Those are items the airlines tell you not to check. Why should I pay a cabin fee for that?

BTW, I travel light, and I'm not one of those EXP members who bring more than two items aboard.

Since AA does not fly to everywhere I want to go, there are times when I fly other carriers with no status. If this horrible idea catches on with other airlines I don't relish the thought of being nickeled and dimed for more fees.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Globehopper
For all those who agree with this absurd, customer friendly fee, why not just go to the logical next step and charge each pax by their body weight? This way passengers can be charged proportionate to their impact upon the aircrafts lift off weight.
I would not have any problem at all with this either. Though it is overly simplistic to say it is pure weight, as each seat takes up a fixed amount of space. But I would not object to excess weight fees, or light weight discounts. Why should my 55lb kid who has a tiny bag and doesn't need a sprite pay the same as a 300 lb guy who brings a suitcase full and asks if he can have the whole can?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Absolutely. I mean very seriously why not? I often think on countless short flights why on earth does the airline feel the need to give everyone a free soda? It is just not necessary. If I really wanted a coke that bad, I can pay for it.
Now what about the long flights? If they do that they might as well give up flying west of Hawaii and leave that to JAL, 'cause that is not going to sit well with those customers when no one else is doing that.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am one of those people who is completely fine to sit for a few hours on a wooden bench. Why am I subsidizing people's soft cushions? I demand a seat padding fee!

Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Now what about the long flights? If they do that they might as well give up flying west of Hawaii and leave that to JAL, 'cause that is not going to sit well with those customers when no one else is doing that.
On longer flights I can see their being more demand. Still does not mean they should not decouple the pricing. It used to be free booze in economy across the pond too and I am sure there were similar responses back when that was first cut..
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
On longer flights I can see their being more demand. Still does not mean they should not decouple the pricing. It used to be free booze in economy across the pond too and I am sure there were similar responses back when that was first cut..
I thought AA restored (or is going to restore) free across the Pond booze?

The bad news is trying to find an AA metal flight across the Pond given the continued cutbacks to their European destination.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by hillrider
I am one of those people who is completely fine to sit for a few hours on a wooden bench. Why am I subsidizing people's soft cushions? I demand a seat padding fee!
Sit? I'm perfectly happy to stand and hold onto an overhead rail (ŕ la city bus) on any flight under 4 hours. You'd better be willing to pay a hefty fee for that wooden bench.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by hillrider

Why have a seat at all? Michael O'Leary and Ryanair were right to look into standing on planes. No complaints about leg room, or getting your knees banged into. A ticket should only guarantee a 7'x3'x2' rectangular prism for each ticket holder, and the orientation of which sides are in what direction is undetermined until boarding!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:29 pm

I am so selfish that as long as I don't have pay, the hell with others.
Originally Posted by chuckywang
Man, some of you elites are just so disrespectful and inconsiderate towards regular, infrequent flyers. A middle class family of 5 that only flies together once per year should still be able to take a vacation without breaking the bank.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by chuckywang
Man, some of you elites are just so disrespectful and inconsiderate towards regular, infrequent flyers. A middle class family of 5 that only flies together once per year should still be able to take a vacation without breaking the bank.
That family is paying a much lower fare, in real terms, than they would have paid 20 years ago when checked baggage was free. And assuming they can consolidate their luggage, even with the baggage fees they're likely coming out ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.