Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Is AA preparing for carry-on fees?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
The carry-on bag situation at the legacies is totally out of control....well at least at AA and UA whom I fly alot. I do not see this as just an AA problem.

My 2 cents is that airlines should allow the first checked bag to be free for everyone as an incentive to check luggage rather than carry it on. I'm for most folks being allowed one carry-on and then being charged twice the price of a checked bag to have the Luxury of carrying it board. However the airlines structure it, there needs to be a strong incentive to not carry-on luggage. Elites can be exempt but the size of carry-on bags should be more strictly controlled.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abk
This will just ensure that WN continues to grow at the legacies expense. I just finished a weekend trip on WN and one thing that I noticed is that there is plenty of room in the overheads most likely because more people check bags because they are free.
+1.

Same for B6. See excellent report from an EXP very frequent traveler blogger here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...much%E2%80%A6/
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blakepilot
Baggage fees are typically an afterthought anymore.
Baggage fees had exactly one year to be "an afterthought". Once bitten, twice shy, plus all the advertising and word of mouth by Southwest
and JetBlue and even those who fly 1x/year know to check about the fees when shopping.

Baggage fees are indeed decreasing, not increasing, as people are now aware of them and plan around them as much as possible (carry-on, fly WN/B6, drive instead of flying, ship ahead, bag-fee-waiving credit card etc.). From the article: DL fee revenue was down 9.2 percent in 2011 despite a 2.3 percent increase in passengers, UA's was down 11.8 percent vs. a 6.7 percent drop in passengers.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
You're also talking about an industry that will try to save a buck wherever it can from taking olives out of salads to removing pillows. And fees are one of its first breakthroughs in finding new revenue streams.

Certainly both DL and UA in recent years put fare restrictions on using SWUs. It could be that at some point even elites don't have certain fees waived when they are traveling on very low fares.
On the other hand, AA has increased the fare classes that can use SWUs
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
I travel to SF for both business and leasure (domestic). In 1995, a discounted Y JFK-SFO cost $300 RT. Now I am still able to score such a ticket on Thanksgiving for under $400. How much did fuel and wages go up during these times?

I think $30 carryon fee is very fair. I never have checked bag on domestic trips. My carryon hold enough clothes to last 8 days.
I do agree, although I hate the idea of charging to use the overhead bin , unbundling make sense. What I don't agree with is unbundling to a point where a fuel surcharge is charged on award tickets. Fuel is a MUST have for flying. I can understand a surcharge if fuel suddenly goes up for a short period, however this is not the case here. If AA started to do that on award travel for its own flights, I would expect government intervention.

Last edited by mvoight; Sep 4, 2012 at 4:44 am
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Maybe you wouldn't buy a premium Y seat but then when you see that you'll be exempted from carry-on charges all of a sudden you think "hey, this is a good deal".
Having booked a number of AA fares over the past few months (via OTA and direct), I feel the carry-on text presentation is also new and appears to match up with the way the checked baggage fees are presented. To me, it looks like it is being setup to allow adjustments to carry-on allowance.

I absolutely agree that they will start to put the carry-on allowance as part of an 'optional' Y add-on package. I think there is no coincidence that some of the OTAs like Priceline (retail not opaque) are now able to sell Premium AA seats. There had to be the system setup to allow distribution of such 'ancillary' sales otherwise, it would be hard for AA to go the Spirit route.

I wish we would get a free checked bag if carry-on allowance is reduced (I am guessing it will go to one personal item not the one large piece plus personal), but I doubt the system will go backwards.

Now what is interesting to all as any frequent traveler knows is that because of the checked baggage charges almost any flight with a decent load gets a free check-in offer at the gate (although delivered to baggage claim). So, either way the airline was taking the bag for free it seems.

Rasheed
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Originally Posted by hillrider
Baggage fees had exactly one year to be "an afterthought". Once bitten, twice shy, plus all the advertising and word of mouth by Southwest
and JetBlue and even those who fly 1x/year know to check about the fees when shopping.

Baggage fees are indeed decreasing, not increasing, as people are now aware of them and plan around them as much as possible (carry-on, fly WN/B6, drive instead of flying, ship ahead, bag-fee-waiving credit card etc.). From the article: DL fee revenue was down 9.2 percent in 2011 despite a 2.3 percent increase in passengers, UA's was down 11.8 percent vs. a 6.7 percent drop in passengers.
That article you posted is more or less a case study in support of baggage fees, if you're looking at it from an airline boss's perspective...

For cash-strapped airlines, that sort of revenue must seem like manna from heaven, especially as airlines struggle to maintain profitability in tough times. To put it in perspective, without the $864 million that Delta earned in baggage fees last year, the airline’s net operating income of $854 million would instead have been a $10 million loss.
“If people are charged to check a bag and not charged to take it on the plane, the inclination is to try to put more and more and more into their carry-ons,” said Allegiant spokeswoman Jessica Wheeler. “It slows the boarding process and it’s not fair to the people who do follow the rules.”

It may also prove to be a good source of ancillary revenue. Last year, the carrier earned $53.5 million in baggage fees, down slightly from $55 million in 2010. Spirit, on the other hand, earned almost $134 million, up 65 percent from the year before.
Both of those quotes are very relevant to this topic. Considering the small footprint of NK and G4 compared to the legacies, those extra millions may be the difference between viability and insolvency. Perhaps the article is just empirical evidence that people are beginning to think about packing lighter or traveling smarter?

Whether fee revenue is declining or increasing, it's still a very substantial chunk of income today's broke airlines would otherwise be without. The fees are here to stay. As long as jet A is as expensive as it is today, the airlines will have to make money somehow, or there will be no more airlines. Simple as that. Any business cannot operate a plan that consistently puts them in the red unless they want to shut their doors. When you ship a package via air freight, you are charged by weight. Why should it be any different if you want to haul 150 lbs. worth of baggage along with you? The glory days are far over, from a pragmatic standpoint. You pay for what you bring, 50 lbs. rollaboard included.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hmv
I have been flying on American TATL 2 times (757, 767 and 777) and domestic (MD-80, 737) and everytime I am amazed of the size of the carry-ons that are allowed on American in contrast to (stricter) European airlines.
It's not just the size of the carry-ons I'm amazed at when getting on an American flight overseas

These fees stink for everyone, I wish they would just include everything in the price of the ticket like they used to do.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It's not just the size of the carry-ons I'm amazed at when getting on an American flight overseas

These fees stink for everyone, I wish they would just include everything in the price of the ticket like they used to do.
I see nothing wrong in paying extra for something not required by everyone else. Handling checked baggage costs money, and I see nothing wrong with only the people checking bags to pay for it. On the other hand, fuel surcharges are ridiculous. It might make some sense as a temporary measure, but this has been going on for a while. Since fuel surcharges are paid at the time of ticket purchase, there is no reason the fuel surcharge needs to be a separate ticket item. It's like itemizing the crew salary, equipment lease costs, landing fees, etc. A plane with fuel is required by everyone. Checked baggage isn't.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by elitetraveler

Totally hard to say how it will play out. My only point is that the success of fees has made the non-elite traveling on a discounted coach ticket a much more valuable commodity. And the more fees they can charge the person, the more valuable at least for that single flight.
UA is basically doing this with their TOD program. Go see how well it is going for $MI/J and crew. Don't look at the FT board, look at the financials compared to the other legacies. Might not be such a good idea, only so many nonelites to go around, and once you wreck them with fees once, they won't be back to get their wallet unloaded again.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by mvoight
I see nothing wrong in paying extra for something not required by everyone else. Handling checked baggage costs money, and I see nothing wrong with only the people checking bags to pay for it.
Maybe on US-domestic, but they're going to lose TPAC traffic with that attitude. For someone who doesn't care about earning mileage CX would suddenly look a lot better (and for someone who does there's always JL, even if AA does get their money by flying them anyway due to ATI).
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
It can all get very nasty: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19472921
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:10 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Until the airlines take 100% responsibility for all checked bags for any and all reasons for loss/damage/TSA theft, no one should ever have to pay a dime to check or carry on a bag.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Spiff
Until the airlines take 100% responsibility for all checked bags for any and all reasons for loss/damage/TSA theft, no one should ever have to pay a dime to check or carry on a bag.
^

Also, we forget that AA needs people to buy their discount fares. They won't make the flight profitable without kettles in addition to business travelers. Rather than looking at it individually and see how much each person's seat mile payment is, look at it collectively as a group.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I dont check 2 50+ pound bags, so why should I have to pay for that weight for someone who does? People should pay for the services they use...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.