Wiki Posts
Search

How is JFK - HND doing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
How is JFK - HND doing?

I am just about to use some miles for a trip to Tokyo early summer next year. Saver award is available. But what are the chances the flight will actually still be operating at that time, with all the route suspensions going on?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
AA needs to hang onto the route, even with the lousy timeslots at HND. It was a huge deal for AA to negotiate successfully for a route authority for HND in the first place. Giving it up would be competitively disasterous. I'm not an expert in the region, but my understanding is that HND is the holy grail for O/D paid premium-class business travel in that part of Asia given the convenience to downtown Tokyo. And as we know, paid premium-class business travel is AA's bread and butter in most markets (as is the case with all of the legacies).

Notice that even as JFK-NRT went away (despite all of those onward connecting possibilities on JL/CX/QF), AA chose to keep HND.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
AA needs to hang onto the route, even with the lousy timeslots at HND. It was a huge deal for AA to negotiate successfully for a route authority for HND in the first place. Giving it up would be competitively disasterous. I'm not an expert in the region, but my understanding is that HND is the holy grail for O/D paid premium-class business travel in that part of Asia given the convenience to downtown Tokyo. And as we know, paid premium-class business travel is AA's bread and butter in most markets (as is the case with all of the legacies).

Notice that even as JFK-NRT went away (despite all of those onward connecting possibilities on JL/CX/QF), AA chose to keep HND.
thanks. i actually also like the flight time at around 7pm - i can take the flight right after work, without having to take an extra day off.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
thanks. i actually also like the flight time at around 7pm - i can take the flight right after work, without having to take an extra day off.

Outbound is fine. But the return flight departs HND at 0650.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Outbound is fine. But the return flight departs HND at 0650.
i know. i am planing on taking hawaiian back (on aa miles) leaving hnd at 11.55 pm, connecting in hnl and getting into jfk at 6.55am - perfect for heading to the office straight from the airport. ;-)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
If the flight goes away, or if they change it to a time that does not work for you, they generally will be very flexible on accommodating you on other flights that work for your schedule, although that likely would require a transfer at DFW, ORD or LAX, and would take you to NRT, not HND.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
I was on this flight about 2 weeks ago. Loads were uniformly light on the Monday night outbound JFK-HND, F had 5 passengers. Much heavier on the Monday AM return, full in F and as near as I could tell, very close to full in all cabins.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
If OP will fly in July/Aug, it should be fine.
If AA suspends JFK-HND temporarily, it will be likely in fall/winter/spring.
AA needs to operate this route until AA gets day-time slots at Haneda.

Summer is only season that AA could make money from this route as it is a peak travel season for USA-JAPAN.
TPAC airfare in summer is very expensive in general, so AA is able to have enough passengers by setting its airfare slightly cheaper than those of competitors.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

my travel will be in july. thanks. i will give it a chance and book.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
There were threads about how SFO-HNL, ORD-DEL, and JFK-BRU asking how these routes were doing, with many replies talking about how great those routes were doing. A year later, AA announced they were canceling these routes. Only AA knows for sure how this route is doing.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:14 pm
Suspended

The bottom line is HND hasn't been what airlines hoped it would be. At the end of the day convenience is also departure/arrival times. It's quite possible some service by a multitude of airlines will revert back to NRT over time.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
No US carrier is particularly doing that well with the HND routes other then perhaps HA. The slot times just dont work.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
The bottom line is HND hasn't been what airlines hoped it would be. At the end of the day convenience is also departure/arrival times. It's quite possible some service by a multitude of airlines will revert back to NRT over time.
Of course, HND is a prime example of how the Japanese manage to protect their own carriers and give foreign competitors a huge disadvantage. No NAmerican carrier received decent arrival and departure slots because the Japanese government does not want to dislocate flights from NRT or give those carriers any advantages over its own airlines. But as noted, all carriers want to keep a foothold on HND in hopes better slots will open up.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Of course, HND is a prime example of how the Japanese manage to protect their own carriers and give foreign competitors a huge disadvantage. No NAmerican carrier received decent arrival and departure slots because the Japanese government does not want to dislocate flights from NRT or give those carriers any advantages over its own airlines. But as noted, all carriers want to keep a foothold on HND in hopes better slots will open up.
Correct. The timings are so bad they negate any advantage of being closer to central Tokyo. Trains are not an option on the departure out of HND since they dont start running util 5:30/6am. On the arrival if you're late at all, the last train of the day has already left. There are also no connection opportunities on either arriving or departing HND at the given times.

Last edited by grahampros; Aug 25, 2012 at 7:57 pm
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Doesn't the USA do something similar to protect US aviation? There are restrictions at LGA and DCA and foreign carriers cannot fly within the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.