Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brutal DYKWIA moment

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
A few years ago I was in the 1st Class check-in line at SAN and the TSA brought a lady back to the counter because she had 6 bags (both carry-on and shopping bags) that she tried to carry through security. All bags were fairly large.

As luck would have it they put the lady right in fornt of me. No problem, I had tons of time.

They carry on policy was explained and the bag lady went ballistic. "I don't see why I can't carry my bags on! I don's see why you can't make an exception! I'm a business owner and I make expections all the time, blah blah blah....)

The AAgent was calm, composed and professional throughout. Then the pASSenger played the I'm complaining to AA card and wanted her ID info.

I stepped to the counter and said I would like her name as well, because I wanted to compliment the AAgent for maintaining her composure.

I sent an email to AA and cc'd the agent so she coud have a copy for her own records.

Oh, the pASSenger wound up paying the luggage fee and stormed off.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
A little thing called "the law".
It is not a law.
It is merely a rule.

It is beyond enforcing a rule when an FA asks for your Ipad to see if it is turned off.
If it is in the seat pocket or there is no demonstrable evidence that someone is in fact using it, there is no reason to check overhead bins and pull out Ipads to see if those are turned off either.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by vail
That is an ignorant statement--the fact is you can hear people talking more clearly because it filters out the low hum noise.
Fascinating. I never realized those giant ear cups actually amplified outside voices. I'll have to reconsider all the laws of physics

Regardless, it would be more difficult to hear announcements over whatever's playing through the headphones, or if you're talking on a cell phone (which you also list as an unreasonable prohibition).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Fascinating. I never realized those giant ear cups actually amplified outside voices. I'll have to reconsider all the laws of physics

Regardless, it would be more difficult to hear announcements over whatever's playing through the headphones, or if you're talking on a cell phone (which you also list as an unreasonable prohibition).
First of all I do not play anything over my headphones--I use them strictly to cancel noise.
There are exceptions--watching a movie--or listening to music to drown out
people talking excessively loud near me.

However on takeoff and landings they would be just in the noise cancelling mode.

Evidently you do not have a set--because when the low hum is eliminated, voices do become clearer--amazing isn't it?
No law of physics broken either.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Science Goy
They in fact do interfere with passengers' ability to hear the preflight safety announcements @:-)
That is not a universal truth.

Actually, because they reduce various background noises, they make it much easier to hear voices. Southwest Airlines expressly permits passengers to use their noise cancelling headphones (any brand), turned on, during taxi, takeoff and landing, provided that the headphones are not connected to other PED during the critical phase periods (below 10k feet).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Yes, the guy sound like a pain in the ..., but if it is safe to have iPads on in the cockpit during takeoff, why not in the cabin?

If such things were a real threat to safety, why do we permit them on the aircraft in the first place?
After all, if they are dangerous, then are we really risking our lives based on whether or not they are turned off or not?

Nope....... I am going with not dangerous. If they were dangerous, they would be banned

Last edited by mvoight; Aug 22, 2012 at 12:02 pm
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is an ignorant statement--the fact is you can hear people talking more clearly because it filters out the low hum noise.
And, WN even permits them.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If it is in the seat pocket or there is no demonstrable evidence that someone is in fact using it, there is no reason to check overhead bins and pull out Ipads to see if those are turned off either.
As described, I doubt the FA would have done a thing unless the passenger had simply put it in standby mode while she could see what he was doing.

If you are going to cheat then don't do it where it can be seen
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
First of all I do not play anything over my headphones--I use them strictly to cancel noise.
There are exceptions--watching a movie--or listening to music to drown out
people talking excessively loud near me.

However on takeoff and landings they would be just in the noise cancelling mode.

Evidently you do not have a set--because when the low hum is eliminated, voices do become clearer--amazing isn't it?
No law of physics broken either.
Call it a rule, call it law or call it whatever the he!! you want, if the FA knowingly allows it to be violated thye are subject to a fine that is substantial in nature. Piss and moan all you want but you are expected to listen to and the airline it REQUIRED to provide you with a safety briefing prior to departure. I do have noise cancelling headphones and I can assure you they cancel all sound..including spoken word.

Further, since you seem so convinced you should be excluded from FAA regulations are you prepared to pay the fine levied against the FA because you choose not to act like an adult and follow a simple request? I think not.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...div8&view=text

§.91.21...Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:

(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or

(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to—

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used. In the case of other aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Call it a rule, call it law or call it whatever the he!! you want, if the FA knowingly allows it to be violated thye are subject to a fine that is substantial in nature. Piss and moan all you want but you are expected to listen to and the airline it REQUIRED to provide you with a safety briefing prior to departure. I do have noise cancelling headphones and I can assure you they cancel all sound..including spoken word.

Further, since you seem so convinced you should be excluded from FAA regulations are you prepared to pay the fine levied against the FA because you choose not to act like an adult and follow a simple request? I think not.
They are required to provide a safety demo. You are not required to watch or listen to it, so that argument is a bit weak. What if you don't understand English? What if you can't hear? And, there is at least on US carrier that permits them, so I doubt it is the FAA banning them.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Whether its a "rule" or "law" it's still enforceable and carries a heavy penalty. So does failure to comply with a crew members instruction. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that pilots use iPads every day, on the plane, for take off and landing. But, the "rule/law" still exists. Fight to have the law changed. Don't harangue the FA just doing her job. She would get fired if an FAA rep happened to see it not being enforced. And its not up to the FA to pick and choose which rules to follow. Don't be naive.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:13 pm

When I fly, I take out the battery from all my devices.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
When I fly, I take out the battery from all my devices.
And you do that how, with an iPad or iPhone?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The PED regulation that applies to AA can be found in § 121.306.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.