Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by richarddd
That's the issue. When AA says "determined" in the Q&A, it seems to mean "predicted," while you and others are reading it as something much stronger.
It would be clearer if they said "guessed".
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
That's the issue. When AA says "determined" in the Q&A, it seems to mean "predicted," while you and others are reading it as something much stronger.
Not at all, I read that as RM taking a gamble in an effort to earn more revenue.

Their risk is that if the elites lose out too often then we may get upset and go elsewhere.

Right now though we seem to be having a hard time coming up with many (any?) verified examples where an elite really has lost out due to an LFBU sale.

Even if we manage to find a few here and there it is going to take a lot more than that to get me concerned.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by gemac
That is what I presume the OP is asking AA to investigate. What is clear is that LFBUs were offered. If they were accepted, then elites did not get upgraded because of LFBUs. If nobody accepted the LFBU, that's even worse - because of what it says about AA's ability to predict. AA predicted that there was plenty of room for elite upgrades and LFBUs also, but the actual situation was that there was no room.
Inherent in the notion of prediction is that it's not 100% accurate.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by beerup
...or alternatively "Great news! We are so confident that we can give you yet another complimentary upgrade on this flight that we are letting Mr. Kettle try it out too. In the process we are collecting $45 towards improving the service in the future."

Despite all the discussion and speculation in this thread and others, AFAIK, there has not been a single veritable instance reported on FT of an elite missing an upgrade when an LFBU had been sold on that flight. Maybe the OP of this thread came close, but unless he comes back and claims otherwise, the evidence suggests that he was upgraded (and no LFBUs were sold).
That is incorrect.
Perhaps I was not clear.
My wife and I--both elites-- were on the same record and we OLCI and were put on waitlist.
My grandson on a different record OLCI and was asked to upgrade--not an elite--and received the upgrade.
At the gate there were at least 10 people on the upgrade list--and 2 empty seats--which neither my wife nor I received.
So no matter what you think--AA is upgrading non elites for the revenue.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Not at all, I read that as RM taking a gamble in an effort to earn more revenue.

Their risk is that if the elites lose out too often then we may get upset and go elsewhere.

Right now though we seem to be having a hard time coming up with many (any?) verified examples where an elite really has lost out due to an LFBU sale.

Even if we manage to find a few here and there it is going to take a lot more than that to get me concerned.
"Q: Will the Confirmed Upgrade option reduce the number of premium class seats available to full-fare and AAdvantage elite customers?
A: No. Upgrades via Self Service will be offered only after we've determined that sufficient premium seats are available to accommodate customers who want to buy full-fare tickets and to AAdvantage elite members who wish to upgrade."

You read this as "as "AA will gamble in an effort to earn more revenue"?

RM seems to do a good enough job that this is rarely an issue, but that's a different question from how the vast majority have interpreted the Q&A and their reactions to AA appearing to have another interpretation.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Inherent in the notion of prediction is that it's not 100% accurate.
Absolutely, and that is the nub of the problem. That is why I would prefer that AA take requests for LFBUs (as they do for sticker upgrades), upgrade all the elites, and then fill as many LFBU requests as they can at the gate.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by vail
That is incorrect.
Perhaps I was not clear.
My wife and I--both elites-- were on the same record and we OLCI and were put on waitlist.
How long before the day of travel were you wait-listed for the upgrade?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:31 am

You read this as "as "AA will gamble in an effort to earn more revenue"?
Hard to read it any other way once it is clear that they are not actually clearing the wait-list before offering LFBU.

I do agree that it is not how I originally understood that text so I can clearly see why others would also read it differently.

Now I am clear on what it means and what they are doing I'm still not really all that worried about it.

The sky is not actually falling yet
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by gemac
Absolutely, and that is the nub of the problem. That is why I would prefer that AA take requests for LFBUs (as they do for sticker upgrades), upgrade all the elites, and then fill as many LFBU requests as they can at the gate.
I'm not surprised that an elite would prefer that elites have absolute priority

Alas, those who manage AA appear to have made a different decision. Given how few reports we've seen of LFBUs trumping elite upgrades, they may well have made the right decision. They certainly have more data with which to make a decision.

I'd settle for AA making clear disclosure of its policies, as the published Q&A and other publicly available material do not make it clear what AA is doing.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
At the gate there were at least 10 people on the upgrade list--and 2 empty seats--which neither my wife nor I received.
So no matter what you think--AA is upgrading non elites for the revenue.
AA has been upgrading non-elites for the revenue for quite some time now. However, your particular situation (as well as the OP's) could well have been a result of irrops.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:35 am

How long before the day of travel were you wait-listed for the upgrade?
we booked 3 months in advance.
At 100 hours it was F5
At 24 hours it was F3

Aftter I OLCI my grandson it was F2.
I asked to be placed on the upgrade list.
I did not clear.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:38 am

we booked 3 months in advance.
Sorry to keep on this point, but I just want to be clear, you requested the upgrades at the time you booked the flights 3 months in advance?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Science Goy
AA has been upgrading non-elites for the revenue for quite some time now. However, your particular situation (as well as the OP's) could well have been a result of irrops.
You are missing the point--my grandson received an upgrade for a fee at OLCI and he is not an elite.
How do I know--I checked him in and paid for it.
My wife ended up in his seat--we sat in the back.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:39 am

Sorry to keep on this point, but I just want to be clear, you requested the upgrades at the time you booked the flights 3 months in advance?
If I do not book F or use miles and co pay at the time of my reservation--long transcons--than I always request the upgrade before I finish the reservation.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
You are missing the point--my grandson received an upgrade for a fee at OLCI and he is not an elite.
No, I got your point. My point was that the irrops could have happened between the time your grandson got the upgrade and departure. This seems to have been the case in a few other purported instances of LFBUs trumping elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.