Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
AA's stated policy is they WILL NOT do this.
This is definitely a big devaluation of elite status, if it is true
I am anxious to hear AA's response to the situation. described by the OP.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:12 pm

Just checking back in and this is more grave than I first thought, now that it seems we've confirmation.

My first hope is that the OP does, in fact, get upgraded, and my next (though equal) hope is that the EXP desk/CR has a candid conversation laying out the reasons this has happened with OP.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm very curious to hear what AA says, since it's one of the main reasons I left UA for AA.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
AA's stated policy is they WILL NOT do this.
This is definitely a big devaluation of elite status, if it is true
I am anxious to hear AA's response to the situation. described by the OP.

Maybe AA will decide to start opening up these LFBUs to ALL passengers, including elites, at the point of check-in. EXPs will have to decide whether the flight is important enough to merit $90 to guarantee the upgrade at the moment of check-in, or whether they will be willing to take their chances later on for a free e-upgrade. It basically makes the e-upgrade windows (24/48/100) irrelevant. But it would generate some cash.

Note that some variation of this kind of thing can happen when departing overseas stations with regard to mileage+copay vs. eVIP upgrades at the airport. We have plenty of anecdotal evidence (and I have had quite a few personal situations) of being on the eVIP list and being approached by AA agents and offered to clear the list immediately if willing to switch to mileage+copay, OR take our chances at the gate for the eVIP.

Ultimately....the airline needs cold, hard cash. But if this thread is indeed evidentiating a policy shift, it should have been communicated to AA elites. Granted, there is no requirement to do so per AAdvantage TOS, and the LFBUs technically are not an AAdvantage product. But still, it would have been nice to know.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Confirmed - OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Eep. Disappointing if true but I hope it's just a system glitch.

Maybe they tweaked the LFBU system to offer upgrades in an oversell situation to avoid VDB/IDB compensation and the code protecting elite upgrades before LFBU was accidentally affected.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Granted, there is no requirement to do so per AAdvantage TOS, and the LFBUs technically are not an AAdvantage product. But still, it would have been nice to know.
I can't speak to the technicalities of whether they had to communicate it to elites, but from a contractual standpoint wouldn't they be obligated to? IE, when an elite buys a sticker, he does so based on a reasonable assessment of the value of that sticker based on AA's stated policies. A $30 sticker in a world where LFBU does not exist is more valuable than a $30 sticker in a world where LFBU does exist.

It would be no different than a restaurant selling a voucher for a $30 dinner, but not telling anyone that you can only use the voucher when there are no cash customers in line.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lobo411
I can't speak to the technicalities of whether they had to communicate it to elites, but from a contractual standpoint wouldn't they be obligated to? IE, when an elite buys a sticker, he does so based on a reasonable assessment of the value of that sticker based on AA's stated policies. A $30 sticker in a world where LFBU does not exist is more valuable than a $30 sticker in a world where LFBU does exist.

It would be no different than a restaurant selling a voucher for a $30 dinner, but not telling anyone that you can only use the voucher when there are no cash customers in line.
I understand your reasoning but I don't think it holds true. Never did AA commit to a fixed pricing policy. They just said that if there were seats in F left over, you had status and enough stickers, you could get in line to upgrade and, based on some criteria, you may or may not get upgraded.

All AA is doing is manipulating demand through pricing. They've done that forever. Look at all the YUP and Special First fares which have been popping up. They stimulate demand for F and fill the cabin so there are less upgrade opportunities available. Many (not all) FF cheer those fares. I know I do as they are not that much greater than a cheap Y fare plus stickers so, as a PLAT, they're basically the cost of an upgrade for me anyhow and there is no upgrade agita to deal with.

Now, they are throwing in a wrinkle with last minute offers to upgrade and an ugly (and in my belief stupid) wrinkle to boot. Telling loyal customers that random customers get first shot at upgrades in insulting.

And if, in fact, they are doing it and telling us to our faces that they are not, that is beyond insulting. It's unethical and the kind of practice that can ruin a brand. I may not like AA's words but properly presented I accept them and then make my decisions about who and how to fly. Present me with false and misleading information and one essentially erases trust which will quickly send me looking for alternatives.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Important for AA to come clean here. Nothing wrong with selling seats before giving them away. But, it should be clear that this is what happens.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lobo411
I can't speak to the technicalities of whether they had to communicate it to elites, but from a contractual standpoint wouldn't they be obligated to? IE, when an elite buys a sticker, he does so based on a reasonable assessment of the value of that sticker based on AA's stated policies.

Nope. In fact, AA is specifically NOT obligated to do so.

It's right there in black in white in the AAdvantage Terms & Conditions.

relevant excerpts below:

American Airlines may, in its discretion, change the AAdvantage program rules, regulations, travel awards, and special offers at any time with or without notice . . .

. . . American Airlines may amend its rules of the Program at any time without notice . . .

. . . American Airlines reserves the right to eliminate or restrict the use of upgrades on certain flights and make other such changes at any time without notice. Use of upgrades to any future American Airlines destination is subject to approval.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMN57
All AA is doing is manipulating demand through pricing. They've done that forever. Look at all the YUP and Special First fares which have been popping up. They stimulate demand for F and fill the cabin so there are less upgrade opportunities available. Many (not all) FF cheer those fares. I know I do as they are not that much greater than a cheap Y fare plus stickers so, as a PLAT, they're basically the cost of an upgrade for me anyhow and there is no upgrade agita to deal with.

That is VERY VERY TRUE. I'm one who cheers those fares! (How about that $1800 round trip all-included I fare to LHR offered in May/June!!!) In the past year, we have seen the proliferation of "good deal" premium fares to what I consider to be an unprecedented extent. Thus far in 2012, I have bought a whole bunch of international I/D-class fares that I never would have bought previously, on routes I have flown every year for decades. (In fact, I have NEVER bought an I or D fare until this year.) Until this year, I always bought cheap Economy fares and did mileage upgrades (or more recently, mileage+copay) on flights where I absolutely needed to be upgraded. But with these cheap I fares, it's exactly as you say--they are cheap enough that the difference in fare equals out to about the same or even less than the cost of the copay plus the value of the mileage.

Here's an example: a typical North American upgrade is 15k miles plus $50-75. That's 30k + $150 roundtrip. Miles are worth $0.02/mile, so the whole thing is valued at $600+$150 = $750. If the total difference in price between the cheapest available Economy fare and the "Special Business" or "Instant Upgrade" fare is less than $750, it absolutely makes sense to take the I/YUP/KUP fare instead of rolling the dice on the mileage+copay upgrade! (sometimes, the difference in fare is substantially less...a couple of hundred even!)

The same holds true for the e-upgrades, but that doesn't apply to me because I'm EXP so my e-upgrades are complimentary on all fares.

Ultimately, by doing what I sketched out above:
a) more cash for AA
b) I earn COS bonus which helps my RDM count
c) I can eVIP to A class on 3-class routes
d) more RDMs stay in my account to redeem for International longhaul F

Everybody wins! (except those who were hoping to e-upgrade)

Last edited by ESpen36; Aug 19, 2012 at 8:40 pm
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Makes total sense. Lets take our EXPs (which probably average $25k+ per year in spend with AA) and really piss them off so we can make $90 from some shmoe which spends $1-2k per year with AA.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:33 pm

Even worse--I was on the upgrade list and a family member checked in online and was offered the upgrade and paid and received it.
Mine never cleared.
He has no status--I have over 7mm miles.

AA has made a deliberate decision to sell upgrades to whoever will purchase them.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by envgeo
Lets take our EXPs (which probably average $25k+ per year in spend with AA) and really piss them off so we can make $90 from some shmoe which spends $1-2k per year with AA.
You're forgetting that they're not angering all the EXPs, but rather the 0.1% that are savvy enough to know the detailed workings the program (by reading this or other boards). That's a contingent AA can easily afford to piss off. Besides, where are they (we) gonna go?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
This is really disturbing. I've stopped booking UA altogether and have done nothing but AA domestically for the last 6 months at whatever price point.
What do I get in return? UAdbaCO again.
I'll just have to move to WN.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vail
Even worse--I was on the upgrade list and a family member checked in online and was offered the upgrade and paid and received it.
Mine never cleared.
He has no status--I have over 7mm miles.

AA has made a deliberate decision to sell upgrades to whoever will purchase them.
That's pretty much what would have happened here, he'd have been sitting up front and me back in Y by myself. That would have sucked, especially after mentioning that I would take him into the AC when I got to the airport but that I'd likely be getting upgraded but at least I got him a decent seat since I linked our PNR's. I'm glad I made the command decision to deny the upgrade offer for him

--wes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.