Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ceases flights [all activity?] in Belgium 06 Nov 2012!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Delta actually has struggled for years on JFK-BRU..going from a 767 to a 757 and back to a 767. And the significant competition on the route has not helped anyone. But I believe DL may have gotten a corporate contract on the route last year, and committed to placing a refurbished 767 with flat-beds and nose-to-tail AVOD on JFK-BRU. The flatbeds/corporate accounts have helped a great deal, and now, with 9W and AA both dropping JFK-BRU, things should get better for DL as well...
Thanks for the comment, if this is true then that makes sense. I'm normally on the JFK-BRU DL flight 2-3 times a year and flights are always full or fairly full, so based on that (obviously) very limited data point I assumed DL was successful.

And I always wondered why JFK-BRU was one of the first non-76T (extra long 763) routes that had the refurbished 763.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Bumping my question, hoping for an answer...

So I got the schedule change email on September 18th, for 4 milesAAver award tickets JFK-BRU-JFK for me and my family during President's holiday week / winter break, saying that we will now have to transfer via LHR.

We face two challenges now:
- We might have to cancel our trip as the wife might not get the week off. I will know this in a month.
- Transferring in LHR with a 5 and a 3 year old coming off a red-eye AA flight, then connecting to a BA flight to BRU, meaning changing from terminal 3 to 5. Does AA still arrive at terminal 3 in LHR, or does it arrive at terminal 5 now? Personally I avoid transferring in LHR at all costs when it involves a terminal change, let alone with 2 small children.

Would I be OK calling AA in 5-7 weeks and then either canceling the flights and get refunded without penalties, or asking if we can change to BA flights for JFK-LHR and LHR-JFK instead, so we can at least stay in terminal 5 when transferring, and not being charged the BA fuel surcharge?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by robert4travels
- Transferring in LHR with a 5 and a 3 year old coming off a red-eye AA flight, then connecting to a BA flight to BRU, meaning changing from terminal 3 to 5. Does AA still arrive at terminal 3 in LHR, or does it arrive at terminal 5 now? .

Just did this exact thing ~ 7 weeks ago. You will have to transfer from 3 to 5 - and all of the associated "fun" that entails. Took about 90 minutes with "fastpass" access, but still a pain. Just schedule the time accordingly.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL
Found this page..not sure how long it's been up. I guess ince Aug 29?

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Travel...Suspension.jsp
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:34 am

From what I got to understand. The JFK-BRU-JFK is not a bad performer but there are 20+ full time employees working at the station on Belgian payroll so the losses stem from that. By canceling the route due to economic reasons the staff gets sort out treated fairly (Belgian law) and AA takes a loss making route out of its portfolio.

I would not be surprised that they'll come back once summer is around or fall 2013 but with 1 station manager and outsourced local people. You can't expect 1 757 to break even with 20+ staff & expcept for the nutcase (=me) that does not mind LHR don't expect the rest to follow suit especially not high yielding pax.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:42 am

I hope they come back.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by robert4travels
Bumping my question, hoping for an answer...

So I got the schedule change email on September 18th, for 4 milesAAver award tickets JFK-BRU-JFK for me and my family during President's holiday week / winter break, saying that we will now have to transfer via LHR.

We face two challenges now:
- We might have to cancel our trip as the wife might not get the week off. I will know this in a month.
- Transferring in LHR with a 5 and a 3 year old coming off a red-eye AA flight, then connecting to a BA flight to BRU, meaning changing from terminal 3 to 5. Does AA still arrive at terminal 3 in LHR, or does it arrive at terminal 5 now? Personally I avoid transferring in LHR at all costs when it involves a terminal change, let alone with 2 small children.

Would I be OK calling AA in 5-7 weeks and then either canceling the flights and get refunded without penalties, or asking if we can change to BA flights for JFK-LHR and LHR-JFK instead, so we can at least stay in terminal 5 when transferring, and not being charged the BA fuel surcharge?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
What is it with everyone wetting themselves over LHR transfers. They are no way near as bad as people love to whine about.
I have changed terminals with my little ones of several occasions without a problem.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by DevilsX
I hope they come back.
+1. That flight brings back nice memories-- only time I've ever woken up on the floor of an airplane lavatory was coming back from a beer-centric excursion in Brussels. (And trying the five different beers in the BA lounge, each in their own branded glass of course, before departure). Good times...
Old Oct 21, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
+1. That flight brings back nice memories-- only time I've ever woken up on the floor of an airplane lavatory was coming back from a beer-centric excursion in Brussels. (And trying the five different beers in the BA lounge, each in their own branded glass of course, before departure). Good times...
LOL good times. I am flying that route one last time next week. Returning BRU-JFK on the 4th..2 days before the scheduled shut down. It's gonna be a sad flight.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by DevilsX
LOL good times. I am flying that route one last time next week. Returning BRU-JFK on the 4th..2 days before the scheduled shut down. It's gonna be a sad flight.
Well-- please have an (extra) drink in my honor, then! (And one of those Belgian chocolates too, if they still pass them around on the flight...)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Well-- please have an (extra) drink in my honor, then! (And one of those Belgian chocolates too, if they still pass them around on the flight...)
I'm flying coach, and they didn't pass them out last time. I am celebrating my friend's birthday in Liege there will be plenty of drinks and Belgian specialty being consumed. I know most people here know of Godiva but I prefer Galler which is still a Belgian company vs Godiva who was bought out I will have a trip report for you all upon returning.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
What is it with everyone wetting themselves over LHR transfers. They are no way near as bad as people love to whine about.
I have changed terminals with my little ones of several occasions without a problem.
They are most definitely endurable but IMHO there are far better ways to spend 45+ minutes, especially on days when the "security" actors are super-grumpy and on a power trip (which is almost always, except when they had to perform cheerfully due to the Olympics).

To each his own.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to amend my previous post about the LHR connetion horror: the process now could easily take 1:30, since "security" theater now has 40-50 minute queues.

See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/avia...-Heathrow.html and the thread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...y-warning.html. The latter has its share of posts of people witnessing actors' despicable behavior, including publicly berating passengers for being "stupid Yanks". I have seen worse, including an actor making disparaging remarks to an african-american woman about the contents of her carry-on, which he had just rifled through and left for her to repack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.