Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did OLCI, no stickers for upgrade, can I be passed over?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by DEK
IME (I am PLT and my partner is GLD) when traveling with my partner on the same PNR and requesting upgrades ( I book and request under my status) we are always split when the request goes to airport control. The PNR is split (he gets a different PNR #) and he ends up down the list from me so I assume as has been said a few posts above that the list is split by status at that point. FWIW I've been told by agents this is what happens however that is certainly not documentation and YMMV. Hopefully this sheds a little light on your question.
My hubby is almost always on a separate PNR when we fly together I'm currently EXP, he's always been lower - plat or gold. When we get to the airport, I ask to have him added as my companion. He gets my status and has always jumped to the top of the list. This has happened when I was plat and he had no status as well. In that case he ended up ahead of me.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyer_70
My hubby is almost always on a separate PNR when we fly together I'm currently EXP, he's always been lower - plat or gold. When we get to the airport, I ask to have him added as my companion. He gets my status and has always jumped to the top of the list. This has happened when I was plat and he had no status as well. In that case he ended up ahead of me.
What the hell? Argh! This is really frustrating.
I wish there was an official AA voice on here...

The first AC agent I spoke to (who put us on the airport list, at #3 and #11) did some typing and then said we were at #3 and #4. Then I swung by the gate where I saw on the screen I was down to #11. After that, things went downhill and nobody would/could help.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by ijgordon
What the hell? Argh! This is really frustrating.
I wish there was an official AA voice on here...

The first AC agent I spoke to (who put us on the airport list, at #3 and #11) did some typing and then said we were at #3 and #4. Then I swung by the gate where I saw on the screen I was down to #11. After that, things went downhill and nobody would/could help.

Upgrade lists have always been very dynamic. Nothing new there. Companion upgrades have always been problematic on AA. When one seat opens up you always move down the list if two cant be confirmed. Frankly, it's a benefit they should just get rid of since it tends to piss more people off then please.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
It's been a while, and now I'm back with AA.

2 of us traveling tonight, companion is Plat and we requested upgrades about 2 months ago.

Things looked pretty good this afternoon, with 7-8 available seats, though availability has been fluctuating based on seat map and ExpertFlyer.

So I went to OLCI, it asked me if I wanted to be added to the airport upgrade standby list and I checked yes.

Then I got a notification that I couldn't be added as we didn't have enough stickers, and I'd have to see an agent at the airport. I was expecting it to ask me to purchase the upgrades at that point.

I called AA but wasn't sure I got the right information. Did doing OLCI completely remove me from the advance upgrade procedure? I think e500 upgrades can clear until T-3h or 4h. Agent on the phone said I wouldn't be passed over, but I'd have to buy the stickers and then speak to someone at the airport to get on the list there.

Well now flight is showing only 1 available seat and it looks like some more upgrades cleared from Y (also saw what appeared to be a bunch of upgrades from Y at the EXP window).

Obviously I know this doesn't mean I was necessarily passed over, there could have been mileage upgrades that cleared before they opened up sticker inventory and/or there could still have been others with higher priority.

But AA's system is a bit of a black box. And if I was in fact passed over, I'd like to at least try to request a reversal of the sticker purchase.

Insight appreciated.

This is a classic case where someone really needs to tell you "to get off the pot". Either you want it or you don't and if you want to wait until the very last minute to buy stickers well then you get what you get. Stickers never expire and if you are a true FFer you will have the opportunity to use them eventually.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
This is a classic case where someone really needs to tell you "to get off the pot". Either you want it or you don't and if you want to wait until the very last minute to buy stickers well then you get what you get. Stickers never expire and if you are a true FFer you will have the opportunity to use them eventually.
1) Not if most of our travel is international and/or paid premium. @:-) 2) Why should AA's opaque process lead us to provide them with such a nice float on the sticker purchases for so long?

But thank you for your (lack of) contribution.

It still kind of bugs me that AA.com even gives you the opportunity to request to be added to the airport upgrade standby list during OLCI if you don't have the stickers. That's very misleading - it shouldn't offer the option if you don't have the stickers. Just another example of bad programming. (Has anyone tried booking a reservation on the iPhone App? Can't even choose a date!)

And given all the confusion and different experiences described above, I wonder if it would have checked us in and added us to the list if (1) all the stickers were in the Platinum's account and/or (2) we each had the appropriate number of stickers in our own accounts. AA.com doesn't tell you the requirements and there's no final verification before it checks you in. Me thinks one of these would F things up.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

It still kind of bugs me that AA.com even gives you the opportunity to request to be added to the airport upgrade standby list during OLCI if you don't have the stickers. That's very misleading - it shouldn't offer the option if you don't have the stickers. Just another example of bad programming.
Disagree here. With all of the things that they could be spending their time on programming, checking the available upgrade balance (likely somewhere else in the system) prior to allowing a generic addition to the list would seem to be pretty low on the enhancement list, IMO.

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Disagree here. With all of the things that they could be spending their time on programming, checking the available upgrade balance (likely somewhere else in the system) prior to allowing a generic addition to the list would seem to be pretty low on the enhancement list, IMO.

Cheers.
Agree with brp. There are a lot of little quirks in AA's processes. As flyers and FT members, we have two choices. We can complain and grumble, and continue doing what we have been doing. This results in future rant threads for those who enjoy reading those. Or we can figure out how not to have this problem in the future. In this case, that's pretty easy to figure out - keep a reasonable sticker balance. When we were Platinum, Mrs. gemac and I always replenished the sticker balance when it got below 5. You can wish that AA would fix this, but they either will or won't. In the meantime, you can float them $150 or look forward to more of these problems. The interest, at today's rates, on the $150 float is maybe $3 per year. So ask yourself, is it worth $3 per year not to have this problem in the future? If you answer yes, then when it happens again you can say "At least I have that $3".
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Well, it has to check the upgrade balance after you click "continue" anyway, so I can't imagine this would take up much in the way of programming resources to check before.

But you guys haven't addressed my other concern in that post. There's obviously all sorts of experiences with people getting on the list and in what position and depending on whose account the stickers are supposed to come out of. Why can't AA just come out and tell us what the procedure is? As it stands now, I'm still not sure whose account the stickers would need to be in if I'm checking in online and have a pending upgrade request with a companion if I want to keep us together. And since AA thinks it's too difficult to tell me whether I have stickers in the right place BEFORE I try to add myself to the list (which I only get ONE attempt to do before I get to the airport), there seems to be a real risk that things could get F-ed up by doing OLCI. I mean it's bad enough you can't change seats after completing OLCI (UA allows this no problemo.)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:16 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Why can't AA just come out and tell us what the procedure is?
If they knew, and if it worked consistently, they probably would....

My current understanding (and there seem to be exceptions all the time) is that stickers are supposed to come from each account, no matter what (unless manually modified). Used to be the other way, and manual modification was required to get it the way it is now. Furthermore, my understanding is that the lower only inherits the status of the higher if on the same PNR, and that linking is not supposed to confer the higher status, but sometimes does anyway. I'm not 100% on the latter, though.

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:25 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Well, it has to check the upgrade balance after you click "continue" anyway, so I can't imagine this would take up much in the way of programming resources to check before.

But you guys haven't addressed my other concern in that post. There's obviously all sorts of experiences with people getting on the list and in what position and depending on whose account the stickers are supposed to come out of. Why can't AA just come out and tell us what the procedure is? As it stands now, I'm still not sure whose account the stickers would need to be in if I'm checking in online and have a pending upgrade request with a companion if I want to keep us together. And since AA thinks it's too difficult to tell me whether I have stickers in the right place BEFORE I try to add myself to the list (which I only get ONE attempt to do before I get to the airport), there seems to be a real risk that things could get F-ed up by doing OLCI. I mean it's bad enough you can't change seats after completing OLCI (UA allows this no problemo.)
I thought I addressed that upthread, but apparently was not as explicit as brp.

Originally Posted by dstan
As I noted upthread, the loss of priority could have to do with not clearing via the automated system and going to the airport waitlist, based on my own past experiences. However, having the stickers pulled from your accounts separately (as a GLD traveling as the companion of a PLT) should not, per se, affect your priority:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-2009-a.html
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
My current understanding (and there seem to be exceptions all the time) is that stickers are supposed to come from each account, no matter what (unless manually modified). Used to be the other way, and manual modification was required to get it the way it is now. Furthermore, my understanding is that the lower only inherits the status of the higher if on the same PNR, and that linking is not supposed to confer the higher status, but sometimes does anyway. I'm not 100% on the latter, though
Originally Posted by dstan
I thought I addressed that upthread, but apparently was not as explicit as brp.
Well, the reason I continue to beat this (and it's not quite dead yet) is that we were on the same PNR and we each had our own stickers, yet our priority on the airport list was split apart. And at least two AC agents said it was because the stickers were each coming from our own accounts. And another one said that the list was ordered by status...period, with no consideration for companions.

So yeah, apparently AA can't tell its a55 from its face.

And it still bugs me -- they do tell you in several places that you need to have stickers at OLCI in order to be able to be added to the airport upgrade list. But nowhere do they say (notwithstanding what people on FT have experienced, particularly because there tend to always be exceptions) whose account the stickers need to be in, if you're trying to upgrade a companion. If I go according to dstan's advice, then it seems like I get screwed on the airport upgrade standby list, at least based on what the AC agents told me. But if I ignore dstan's advice and put all the sticker in the higher-elite members account, then perhaps I risk the system failing to add me to the airport list.

If someone can convince me that the OLCI system doesn't care, and either scenario will work, then maybe I'll quiet down. But I don't think I'll easily be convinced.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:53 pm

And since AA thinks it's too difficult to tell me whether I have stickers in the right place

How hard is this to fathom, really.... You have a balance and a required amount of stickers to upgrade.

If your balance is less that the amount required you do not have enough period.

This is like asking k-mart is you have enough money in your wallet to but a $10 shirt, when you can simply open you wallet and see if you have $10.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:01 pm

It's been a while, and now I'm back with AA.

2 of us traveling tonight, companion is Plat and we requested upgrades about 2 months ago.

Things looked pretty good this afternoon, with 7-8 available seats, though availability has been fluctuating based on seat map and ExpertFlyer.

So I went to OLCI, it asked me if I wanted to be added to the airport upgrade standby list and I checked yes.

Then I got a notification that I couldn't be added as we didn't have enough stickers, and I'd have to see an agent at the airport. I was expecting it to ask me to purchase the upgrades at that point.

I called AA but wasn't sure I got the right information. Did doing OLCI completely remove me from the advance upgrade procedure? I think e500 upgrades can clear until T-3h or 4h. Agent on the phone said I wouldn't be passed over, but I'd have to buy the stickers and then speak to someone at the airport to get on the list there.

Well now flight is showing only 1 available seat and it looks like some more upgrades cleared from Y (also saw what appeared to be a bunch of upgrades from Y at the EXP window).

Obviously I know this doesn't mean I was necessarily passed over, there could have been mileage upgrades that cleared before they opened up sticker inventory and/or there could still have been others with higher priority.

But AA's system is a bit of a black box. And if I was in fact passed over, I'd like to at least try to request a reversal of the sticker purchase.

Insight appreciated.
To answer you original query yes you can. I have seen this happen 2 times now. If X opens while a eligible(ie has stickers to pull) pax is at the Apt. and you still have an insufficient balance they will get the upgd. It has happened 2 times to me and the GA told me so.

Why should they hold out a seat for you if you have no stickers? As far as they know you may never buy them or you may do so and they will not deposit in time. I think the OLCI thing may be part of a policy that has yet to come. Personally I think if you get all the way to OLCI and still have yet to buy the stickers then you should be kicked off the list.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by grahampros
You loose [sic] your priority if requested and no stickers there to process.
incorrect.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
How hard is this to fathom, really.... You have a balance and a required amount of stickers to upgrade.

If your balance is less that the amount required you do not have enough period.
But what if my companion's balance is more than the amount required, and my companion requested the upgrade on my behalf? You really don't seem to understand the problem, but just seem to like to throw out irrelevant analogies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.