Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Glass Found in Ice Cream Dessert (multiple occasions - consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:58 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold

Did a search and did not find a thread about this.

I'm surprised at the typos and poor grammar in the written response from AA.

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/oped/...bing-1.3854580
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
Unfortunate about the letter and customer service....first thought I had was that maybe it was super hard ice. I know I've had some extremely frozen sundaes out of ORD.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:21 am

Holy OMG! That should never happen!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingTrojan
Unfortunate about the letter and customer service....first thought I had was that maybe it was super hard ice. I know I've had some extremely frozen sundaes out of ORD.
I too have my doubts about whether it was really ice, especially since these can sometimes be very frozen. Of course the airline took it seriously. AA gave them 15K miles.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
I guess AA's program of inserting prizes in dessert didn't go over too well.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:47 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FrAAmer
Did a search and did not find a thread about this.

I'm surprised at the typos and poor grammar in the written response from AA.

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/oped/...bing-1.3854580
In the article it states that his glass was clear, and her's was the same coloring as his. Maybe the author of the article used a poor choice of descriptor words, but how does clear glass (also) have coloring?

Last edited by nrr; Aug 8, 2012 at 6:05 am
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
Maybe it was clear with a tint of coloring
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:43 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
A would imagine that this sort of things happen at restaurants periodically as well. Probably not any more newsworthy there than on a plane. Bad deal, but things happen. My hot towel was cold once.

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by brp
A would imagine that this sort of things happen at restaurants periodically as well. Probably not any more newsworthy there than on a plane. Bad deal, but things happen. My hot towel was cold once.

Cheers.
Agreed, which is why I did not make a big a deal about the chunk of clear glass I found in my ice cream on a flight to Buenos Aires last year. I bit down on something way harder than ice cream and fished out a chunk of glass from my mouth. I gave it a flight attendant and left it at that, however, the flight attendant apparently reported it upon landing because I was later contacted by what I believe was called the risk management department at AA for a follow up. As I was not injured I did not ask for or receive any compensation, nor did I feel I was due any.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:19 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by djcrooks
Agreed, which is why I did not make a big a deal about the chunk of clear glass I found in my ice cream on a flight to Buenos Aires last year. I bit down on something way harder than ice cream and fished out a chunk of glass from my mouth. I gave it a flight attendant and left it at that, however, the flight attendant apparently reported it upon landing because I was later contacted by what I believe was called the risk management department at AA for a follow up. As I was not injured I did not ask for or receive any compensation, nor did I feel I was due any.
Agreed. I definitely think that the airline (or any business) should take this seriously. And I'm glad AA did even though you didn't make a fuss about it. It's just that things like this are common enough so as not to be news.

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Oh, I believe that this article was newsworthy. Not because of the glass, but rather, because he described the meal as "amazing." When was the last time that happened on an AA flight?

Mike
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
I guess AA's program of inserting prizes in dessert didn't go over too well.
Perhaps they are taking a page out of Delta's book, but, you know, because of the bankruptcy had to use glass instead of sewing needles as the special surprise.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:41 am

If it was ice - it would have melted and there'd be no complaint.

The flight attendant should most definitely be told anytime something like this happens so the remaining dishes can be immediately picked up. Imagine if someone accidentally swallowed a larger bit of glass and ended up with a medical emergency?

I don't think compensation is in order here - things happen and luckily no one was hurt - but it's a big PR issue that the airline should have handled better.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I once found a staple in my salad on United. Same respond from the FA..."Oh, I'm sorry"

I wrote and received an e-cert.

I don't think the airline cares until passengers actually ingest the objects and become ill, then the compensation will pour.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
"The Caldwells used mileage credits to purchase their first-class tickets."

I find that more disturbing than the glass. ORD-Tuscon, really? lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.