Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: AA wants to buy jetBlue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rumor: AA wants to buy jetBlue

From unidentified pilot sources and the Dallas News: AA wants to buy jetBlue.

Here’s the gist, according to the circulating message:

A number of pilots had dinner with American’s senior vice president of operations Jim Ream and vice president of flight John Hale on July 26 in Los Angeles. During the discussions, the author of the message said he told the executives that he thought American would pursue JetBlue.

Ream responded, in the author’s paraphrasing, not Ream’s exact quotes:

“It is the desire of AAL to purchase JetBlue. This would be completed through a complex deal including debt, private equity and preferential shares. He explained that we are far along the road to negotiating this deal and the critical part is HAVING Contracts in place with LABOR. He further acknowledged that the same people that would be loaning us the money for Americans desired POR [plan of reorganization] were consolidating Americans debt. By doing this, they are buying debt at a discounted rate, gaining power on the UCC [unsecured creditors committee] and have little exposure for they know the financing is viable to emerge from BK [bankruptcy].”
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...airlines.html/

I'm hoping it happens.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
I don'tthink AA are currently in the financial position to do so, also how would they keep operating the nearly 100% leisure focussed B6 routes with a higher cost structure?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I would not oppose this at all.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PotNoodle
I don'tthink AA are currently in the financial position to do so, also how would they keep operating the nearly 100% leisure focussed B6 routes with a higher cost structure?
This is the preferred option for AA's Sr. MGMT. I know from a trusted source that this is all but done.....the Pilot contract and approval is the remaining key.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Please please please please please. Though AA's ops at Terminal B in BOS are much preferable to B6 at C.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PotNoodle
The market cap of B6 is roughly the same as the market cap of US Airways (little over a billion dollars). If AA isn't currently in a position to buy B6, then how is US in a position to buy AA?

Answer: Lots and lots and lots of imprudent "investors" are willing to invest in airlines and lend them money. Billions of dollars worth.

If this were to happen, AA immediately vaults to the largest carrier at JFK and the largest carrier at BOS. AA would add lots of heft at LAX, SFO and Florida.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA-Plat./ UA-Plat.
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Please please please please please. Though AA's ops at Terminal B in BOS are much preferable to B6 at C.
^^ agreed! This would be awesome for us AA/Bostonians!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Consultette
I would not oppose this at all.
Perhaps you'd like to look at AA's acquisition of Reno, a decent West Coast carrier? A fate like Renos befalling B6 or AS would be far from a positive outcome for consumers.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by AAsuper80
^^ agreed! This would be awesome for us AA/Bostonians!
And for us SFO/SJC based!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Answer: Lots and lots and lots of imprudent "investors" are willing to invest in airlines and lend them money. Billions of dollars worth.
I only wish I could get my pension out of the hands of these idiots!

Meantime, I read this as this stick, carrot or both to try to get the unions on side. There's nothing to say the deal can be completed, nor the airline be truly financially viable (ie enough to pay dividends) even if the stoooopid investors show up with barrows loads of OUR money.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by bernardd
Perhaps you'd like to look at AA's acquisition of Reno, a decent West Coast carrier? A fate like Renos befalling B6 or AS would be far from a positive outcome for consumers.
Aren't B6 and AS both larger than Reno was? AA would keep as much of B6's JFK ops as the feds would let them, I think most of the BOS options (BOS is #6 for AA with only flights to the five hubs and LHR and some limited seasonal service, and they previously had a focus city here so there is definitely brand awareness), not sure about LGB, might keep LGB but change many of the flights to DFW, B6's FLL ops would be dumped almost certainly, and I'd think AA would drop MCO (definitely the international service).

I'm speculating about a speculation, gotta love FT .
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:13 pm

Reno air primarily served San Jose and Reno. Jet Blue serves major cities in airports that I would actually like to see more of an AA presence at. I would not exactly compare the two.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:19 pm

This would be an interesting alternative to US. I think it would go over better with a lot of current AA fliers, too.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
not sure about LGB, might keep LGB but change many of the flights to DFW
Also speculating about speculation, but I think LGB would be a great locale for some American Eagle commuter flights. Halfway between OC and LA and you would really avoid a lot of the nightmare that is flying out of LAX.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, and if the airline industry suffers another catastrophe on the scale of September 11, then I suspect that a lot of capacity will be pulled out of the system once again, just like with TWA (asset purchase closed just five months prior to that horrendous morning) and Reno (1999, but wasn't dismantled until late 2001). Lots of airlines dismantled west coast airlines in the decade prior to that, like Delta/Western and USAir/PSA and, of course, AA/Aircal (the transaction that ended up as Reno).

Past results aren't very accurate predictors of the future, and mistakes that might have been made in previous acquistions are no reason not to try to make the same mistakes again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.