FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Charges on award ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1371599-charges-award-ticket.html)

dd992emo Jul 28, 12 4:03 pm

Charges on award ticket
 
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a DL flyer usually. I have about 30K AA miles from a credit card. Need to get my daughter from PNS-LAX one way and don't mind paying 25K since I'll never use them. When I use DL miles I'm used to paying the miles + $10. On AA it says I'll need to pay 25K miles + $80. I can't figure out what the $80 is for. Any help?

sukn Jul 28, 12 4:05 pm


Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 19019177)
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a DL flyer usually. I have about 30K AA miles from a credit card. Need to get my daughter from PNS-LAX one way and don't mind paying 25K since I'll never use them. When I use DL miles I'm used to paying the miles + $10. On AA it says I'll need to pay 25K miles + $80. I can't figure out what the $80 is for. Any help?

If you are booking inside 21 days, you are paying the $75 close-in fee (obviously you do not have status on AA). The rest is taxes.

Also, why did you not post your question in the newbie thread?

Microwave Jul 28, 12 4:07 pm

When is the travel? Sounds like there may be a close-in award fee in there.

dd992emo Jul 28, 12 4:11 pm

Okay, it's the close in thing. Thanks! Mod, feel free to delete since I seem to have posted in the wrong area...

mvoight Jul 28, 12 9:00 pm


Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 19019217)
Okay, it's the close in thing. Thanks! Mod, feel free to delete since I seem to have posted in the wrong area...

? this looks like the right area.
You mentioned 25K is ok, because you aren't going to use them, but you said you would use them for your daughter. 25K plus $80 is quite a bit for this ticket. Have you checked how much a purchased ticket would cost? That way, you could later use the 25K for a round trip ticket in the US..... or, Europe is only 20K one way during the off peak months.

dd992emo Jul 31, 12 11:25 pm

Okay...I have to ask. I haven't booked this, but I assume it will be an
e-ticket. So, what is the "expedite" fee all about? Just asking...

sukn Jul 31, 12 11:28 pm


Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 19037770)
Okay...I have to ask. I haven't booked this, but I assume it will be an
e-ticket. So, what is the "expedite" fee all about? Just asking...

A revenue opportunity for the airlines. Most charge it to their non-elites.

Jaimito Cartero Jul 31, 12 11:30 pm


Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 19037770)
Okay...I have to ask. I haven't booked this, but I assume it will be an
e-ticket. So, what is the "expedite" fee all about? Just asking...

I think DL had something similar a few years back. Just another way to make money.

Perhaps trade the 30k on coupon connection. Should be able to get 35k DL for them.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:16 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.