FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Charges on award ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1371599-charges-award-ticket.html)

dd992emo Jul 28, 12 4:03 pm

Charges on award ticket

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a DL flyer usually. I have about 30K AA miles from a credit card. Need to get my daughter from PNS-LAX one way and don't mind paying 25K since I'll never use them. When I use DL miles I'm used to paying the miles + $10. On AA it says I'll need to pay 25K miles + $80. I can't figure out what the $80 is for. Any help?

sukn Jul 28, 12 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 19019177)
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a DL flyer usually. I have about 30K AA miles from a credit card. Need to get my daughter from PNS-LAX one way and don't mind paying 25K since I'll never use them. When I use DL miles I'm used to paying the miles + $10. On AA it says I'll need to pay 25K miles + $80. I can't figure out what the $80 is for. Any help?

If you are booking inside 21 days, you are paying the $75 close-in fee (obviously you do not have status on AA). The rest is taxes.

Also, why did you not post your question in the newbie thread?

Microwave Jul 28, 12 4:07 pm

When is the travel? Sounds like there may be a close-in award fee in there.

dd992emo Jul 28, 12 4:11 pm

Okay, it's the close in thing. Thanks! Mod, feel free to delete since I seem to have posted in the wrong area...

mvoight Jul 28, 12 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 19019217)
Okay, it's the close in thing. Thanks! Mod, feel free to delete since I seem to have posted in the wrong area...

? this looks like the right area.
You mentioned 25K is ok, because you aren't going to use them, but you said you would use them for your daughter. 25K plus $80 is quite a bit for this ticket. Have you checked how much a purchased ticket would cost? That way, you could later use the 25K for a round trip ticket in the US..... or, Europe is only 20K one way during the off peak months.

dd992emo Jul 31, 12 11:25 pm

Okay...I have to ask. I haven't booked this, but I assume it will be an
e-ticket. So, what is the "expedite" fee all about? Just asking...

sukn Jul 31, 12 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 19037770)

A revenue opportunity for the airlines. Most charge it to their non-elites.

Jaimito Cartero Jul 31, 12 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 19037770)

I think DL had something similar a few years back. Just another way to make money.

Perhaps trade the 30k on coupon connection. Should be able to get 35k DL for them.