Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 787 Orders / Delays / Changes / Delivery Dates, 2012 and later (consolida

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

[This thread is obsolete now that N800AN, American Airlines' first Being 787-8, has been announced as arriving DFW for flight trials etc. today. AA9702 departed PAE (Everett, WA) 14:07 hrs Friday, 23 January 2015, and is expected to land DFW at approximately 19:00 (local times).

Please follow the new thread here: AA's first Boeing 787 / 787-8 delivered to DFW today 23 Jan 2015)

Thank you.

/Moderator

Originally Posted by JonNYC
1st AA 787 scheduled to be delivered as AA9702, this Friday (23 Jan 2015) PAE-DFW, arriving DFW at 4:21pm
The first AA 787-8, N800AN, has been built; flight testing began 6 January 2015 with the article currently referred to as "BOE-817".

The initial 787-8 configuration is expected to be 28 J, 48 MCE and 150 MC.

Post 184 (sluggoaafa):

28 B/C, 48 MCE, 150 MC

...last word we had was the 787 is due on 'property' approximately 12/31. January will be tied to FAA. February getting a few more tweaks done. March will be first AA revenue flight.
(Post #186, JonNYC, has details for the 787-9.)

Originally Posted by American Airlines
Boeing 787s
We have plans to acquire 42 state-of-the-art 787(-8) Dreamliners, which are currently scheduled to be delivered starting in late 2014
The All Things 787 Blog states American has 16 787-8s and 26 787-9s on order.

Post #157 states first passenger flights early 2015.

JonNYC depicts what the J cabin layout is likely here in post #260.

roadwarrior84 in post #260 shares some interior photos he found online, here.

To keep things in some semblance of organisation, I've consolidated all of the 2012 threads on the 787 delivery dates, orders or delays into this thread. For reference, here are the threads I found from years past, along with their dates:

. . . ● 14 Jan 2013: American changing jet orders with Boeing, Airbus
. . . ● 12 November 2011: AA 787 delivery schedule?
. . . ● 21 December 2010: AA 787 delivery dates at risk - again!
. . . ● 2 September 2010: American's 787's may fly JFK-LHR
. . . ● 21 February 2010: Boeing 787 Dreamliner: when realistic to fly on AA?
. . . ● 17 April 2009: 787 deliveries pushed back to 2013
. . . ● 15 October 2008: AA Orders 42 787 "Dreamliners" (+ 58 on options)

Please see AA (internally) announces first B788 route for route and inaugural flights information.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 787 Orders / Delays / Changes / Delivery Dates, 2012 and later (consolida

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP - MR Plat - HH Gold
QR´s are a bit more open, hence visually the cabin looks more spacious. AA´s are more contoured and offer more privacy for sure, but they do look somewhat claustrophobic from the picture. I don´t think it´s the best picture anyway, so we´ll hope for another one soon that can give us a better idea of how the forward cabin really looks/feels like.

Now, is it just me or the seat does look very narrow? It looks very similar to the 777 retrofit seat. I´m waiting to see what AA meant by using a whole new seat for J on this plane.

Regarding color, I agree with both sides: I think they are sad and serious, but also very practical which is really what AA cares about. I particularly think the color of the seats are not really that important - however AA could use a little more imagination around the cabin to add more color and character (carpet, colored frames around the bulkheads, etc?).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by roadwarrior84
It looks very similar to the 777 retrofit seat.
Not just similar.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roadwarrior84
Now, is it just me or the seat does look very narrow? It looks very similar to the 777 retrofit seat. I´m waiting to see what AA meant by using a whole new seat for J on this plane.
That's not exactly how they put it, it's a 787-specific version of AA's new, AA-designed proprietary J-seat that was first designed for 77D. So, however it was in the press release (or whatever) this is what they meant.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Yesterday AA pilots took the new 787 out for test flight and started the inspections for acceptance.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...eing-787.html/
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA777
I have seen pics and stuff of the QR J and it looks spectacular. However, I think AA's new J seats will offer more "privacy".
Having flown 4 segments on it, the QR 787 seat is incredibly private when you're seated: unless you turn around in an unnatural way, you don't see anyone else and nobody sees you. Yet QR managed to make the cabin feel airy and welcoming, and made it absolutely gorgeous.

It's nothing like I've seen before in J, and it feels more like a private F class than a utilitarian J dormitory. It's that good: it doesn't just look spectacular, it is spectacular.

This blogger, who has flown and reviewed pretty much every premium product in the sky, does a great job reviewing it: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...usiness-class/

P.S. their soft product is top notch as well.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hillrider
Having flown 4 segments on it, the QR 787 seat is incredibly private when you're seated: unless you turn around in an unnatural way, you don't see anyone else and nobody sees you. Yet QR managed to make the cabin feel airy and welcoming, and made it absolutely gorgeous.

It's nothing like I've seen before in J, and it feels more like a private F class than a utilitarian J dormitory. It's that good: it doesn't just look spectacular, it is spectacular.

This blogger, who has flown and reviewed pretty much every premium product in the sky, does a great job reviewing it: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...usiness-class/

Agreed. It seemed not far off of BA F to me with just a tad less overall floorspace.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JBartlow
Yesterday AA pilots took the new 787 out for test flight and started the inspections for acceptance.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...eing-787.html/
That's pretty darn exciting!

Also very cool is that the next 3 AA 787's are all assembled and not far behind on the delivery schedule!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
That's pretty darn exciting!

Also very cool is that the next 3 AA 787's are all assembled and not far behind on the delivery schedule!
It's very exciting! Unlike the CO Dreamliners that used a dated product and did nothing special to take advantage of a new aircraft type, I (and many others I have talked to) are looking forward to flying on the AA 787.

Do we have any idea what the timeline is for domestic flights?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Do we have any idea what the timeline is for domestic flights?
Article says "spring" and that's, to me, somewhat of a surprise-- I think I would have expected much sooner, but maybe (probably) that is/was naive on my part.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
some final tweaks, incorporating details gleaned from photos:

I'm glad AA is keeping the entryway open like QR did. BA didn't and it just doesn't look as impressive.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
anyone have more photos of the interior or links to same?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by hillrider

Good to know both about the seat and the soft product......I am ever increasing my trips to India and while I enjoyed J on EK ON THE 380 out of JFK, it was more the specific seat (I cannot remember the row) because of the bulkhead that separates the main J section from the small J section at the rear by the bar. For most that is not good, but to me it feels so private.

But I digress, I'm thinking QR is going to be my go to airline to India. But, again, I think the new AA J seats will still be a great option.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread is obsolete now that N800AN, American Airlines' first Being 787-8, has been announced as arriving DFW for flight trials etc. today. AA9702 departed PAE (Everett, WA) 14:07 hrs Friday, 23 January 2015, and is expected to land DFW at approximately 19:00 (local times).

Please follow the new thread here: AA's first Boeing 787 / 787-8 delivered to DFW today 23 Jan 2015)

Thank you.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 23, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.