Go Back   > > >
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:51 am   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FLL
Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,239
MIA-BNE in J on QF 8 best lounge to use in DFW

I am traveling on AA MIA-DFW then on to BNE on QF 8 in J, what is the best lounge to use? I see a 3rd party QF and a BA lounge. I already know what the ACs are like there. It would be nice to have some free food other than cookies, salty snack mix, and apples. I am lifetime PLT in J with an AC membership, so I should have access to all of them, correct?
shadesofgrey1x is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:31 am   #2
  
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: DFW
Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Posts: 325
The 3rd party lounge that QF uses has some small snack food and decent liquor, but is a tiny cramped room.

I believe the BA lounge is only open for a couple of hours before the one BA flight departs.

The contract lounge area is a shared space and BA/QF/LH/KE shuffle around, and I think even use the same rooms at different times of day.
andreirublev is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 7:55 am   #3
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
  
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 56,486
If you want unlimited booze or a selection of complimentary light snacks, then go to the QF/BA lounge. It's quieter there.

If you don't mind a wider variety of booze being rationed by drink chit (still free, but after 2 you have to go ask for more chits), want more substantial food for a price, or want a shower, the go to the AC.

They're close enough to each other that you can visit both and decide for yourself.
Spiff is online now  
Old Dec 6, 12, 5:11 pm   #4
  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 39
If I'm flying DFW-BNE on QF 8 this weekend and am in Business class (booked with AA miles through AA), are we eligible to use any of the lounges at DFW before the 10pm departure? I don't have an Admirals Club membership. Thanks.
irishflyer07 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 12, 5:24 pm   #5
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishflyer07 View Post
If I'm flying DFW-BNE on QF 8 this weekend and am in Business class (booked with AA miles through AA), are we eligible to use any of the lounges at DFW before the 10pm departure? I don't have an Admirals Club membership. Thanks.
You will be granted access to the QF Contract Lounge.
HNL is offline  
Old Dec 6, 12, 6:21 pm   #6
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan and Virgin America
  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
You will be granted access to the QF Contract Lounge.
It doesn't open until 6:00 pm but it has premium liquor and heartier food (e.g., pasta salad), along with the usual lounge snacks.
dayone is offline  
Old Dec 7, 12, 1:18 pm   #7
  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
It doesn't open until 6:00 pm but it has premium liquor and heartier food (e.g., pasta salad), along with the usual lounge snacks.
Thanks for the info - that is great news.
irishflyer07 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 12, 2:39 pm   #8
  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishflyer07 View Post
Thanks for the info - that is great news.
In addition to the QF contract lounge, you should also have access to any of the ACs if you so desire. Access is based on OneWorld traveling international J. The OneWorld lounge wizard is always a good tool to determine if you are eligible for access.
bayoubabsy is offline  
Old Dec 7, 12, 6:42 pm   #9
  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubabsy View Post
In addition to the QF contract lounge, you should also have access to any of the ACs if you so desire. Access is based on OneWorld traveling international J. The OneWorld lounge wizard is always a good tool to determine if you are eligible for access.
Thanks - that helps a lot. Just hoping we don't have to divert to Auckland on the way to Brisbane!
irishflyer07 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 12, 6:48 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 22,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishflyer07 View Post
Thanks - that helps a lot. Just hoping we don't have to divert to Auckland on the way to Brisbane!
The route hasn't had to divert for quite a while now:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA8/history
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Dec 7, 12, 6:51 pm   #11
  
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: PER
Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, VA Silver, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Posts: 760
I used my Qantas Club membership to get me into the AC at DFW when I was travelling on QF8 earlier in the year. Didn't bother checking out the QF Contract lounge, but besides the free drink limitation in the AC I thought it was quite comfortable and spacious so it'd be my choice if I went back there.
jozdemir is offline  
 


Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top