Another AA reservations disapointment.

Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Another AA reservations disapointment.

We ticketed PHX-LAX-HKG-JFK-LAX-PHX in business for travel in May. The return flights from JFK were not available on the dates we wanted so the agent held some dates for us and advised to check back later for availability and / or they could be used for up to a year. Either combination of passengers (2) or any combination of flights. I asked for that last statement 3 times.

The first flight goes MX in PHX and we’re routed through SFO on UA to CX arriving 12 hours late.

Today I call to ticket 2 on Eagle from LAX – PHX and out come the rules about open jaws and a successive chorus of why that can’t now be done.

I’m really a bit disappointed since I have to rely on AA Agents to know their rules and advise and book accordingly. I can’t possibly learn their jobs for them – all I can do is book the trip and hope. I wrote to CR for an exception so we’ll see. Mind you I’m giving up 2 in business form JFK – LAX midweek so from a business standpoint it’s a win for AA. We’ll see.

I’m not a newcomer at 1.8MM, just very surprised at this one. Rampant lack of knowledge.

Last edited by idainc; Jul 19, 2012 at 10:36 am
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Your post is very confusing, and I'm having trouble figuring out what the issue is. Were these award tickets or paid tickets? If award tickets, you have two one-way awards, so I don't see how whatever happened on your outbound to HKG has anything to do with your return trip. Did you have a stopover at NYC on your return? Are you trying to change a HKG-JFK (stopover) -LAX-PHX routing to HKG-JFK//LAX-PHX? If so, AA can properly deny the request, as you cannot have a ground segment on a one-way award.

If you can clarify exactly what the problem is, maybe some of us can offer helpful suggestions.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Sorry. Yes you're right.

These were two business class award seats. The outbound MX just adds to the misery of this booking.

WHat I was told I could do was change the flights from JFK to PHX as I wanted to. Even if it was just to be LAX - PHX.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by idainc
I’m not a newcomer at 1.8MM
I'm surprised that people continue to emphasize their "loyalty" by listing their over-inflated MM balance.

I've only been flying AA for 2 years (with a 2 year old AAdvantage account) and I'm already at 1.5MM. That tells you just how easy it is to accrue MM balance before the recent change of the program.

MM means nothing.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I'm surprised that people continue to emphasize their "loyalty" by listing their over-inflated MM balance.

I've only been flying AA for 2 years (with a 2 year old AAdvantage account) and I'm already at 1.5MM. That tells you just how easy it is to accrue MM balance before the recent change of the program.

MM means nothing.
and now after the change the MM seem to be crawling!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Which scenario was the ticket issued for?

Scenario# 1
PHX-LAX-HKG
HKG-JFK-LAX-PHX

Scenario# 2
PHX-LAX-HKG
HKG-JFK (stopover)
JFK-LAX-PHX

What are you trying to change? Where in the trip are you currently at (HKG or JFK)?

If you are already at JFK, then you can change the JFK-LAX-PHX anyway you want as long as you are flying JFK PHX. It can be connecting thru any city AA provides connection for (LAX, DFW etc). Now you might possibly be able to fly somewhere else in the North America zone as long at it is still involves NYC as the departure. But if you are already in JFK and want to only do LAX-PHX and not fly JFK-LAX, no go. New award required.

If you are still in HKG, you can change the return anyway you want including cancelling the entire return.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 19, 2012 at 11:42 am
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:31 am

MM means nothing.
I'm surprised you continually miss that some people flew those miles.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Sorry. Yes you're right.

These were two business class award seats. The outbound MX just adds to the misery of this booking.

WHat I was told I could do was change the flights from JFK to PHX as I wanted to. Even if it was just to be LAX - PHX.
Obviously, I'm not in a position to comment on what the agent said (or what you heard). You certainly can change JFK-PHX to routings other than JFK-LAX-PHX, subject to award-seat availability. But you must still depart from JFK, and still arrive at PHX.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
I'm surprised you continually miss that some people flew those miles.
That's true, but as it's hard to tell now how much of the MM are flown, it's not really giving much information. One could just say, "I'm a really loyal flyer and have flown XX miles" to be really clear.

But I understand the OP's frustration of dealing with agents who don't spell everything out correctly. One shouldn't have to be more knowledgeable than the agents to get something done.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin

But I understand the OP's frustration of dealing with agents who don't spell everything out correctly. One shouldn't have to be more knowledgeable than the agents to get something done.
I just wonder if it needs a new discussion every time an agent gives misinformation. It happens, people deal with it and move on. Well, maybe not everyone.

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

MM means nothing.

Thank you for your constuctive comment.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
Which scenario was the ticket issued for?

Scenario# 1
PHX-LAX-HKG
HKG-JFK-LAX-PHX

Scenario# 2
PHX-LAX-HKG
HKG-JFK (stopover)
JFK-LAX-PHX

What are you trying to change? Where in the trip are you currently at (HKG or JFK)?

If you are already at JFK, then you can change the JFK-LAX-PHX anyway you want as long as you are flying JFK PHX. It can be connecting thru any city AA provides connection for (LAX, DFW etc). Now you might possibly be able to fly somewhere else in the North America zone as long at it is still involves NYC as the departure. But if you are already in JFK and want to only do LAX-PHX and not fly JFK-LAX, no go. New award required.

If you are still in HKG, you can change the return anyway you want including cancelling the entire return.
Scenario#2.

Agent indicated the JFK-LAX-PHX segment was indeed changeable up to including for one year from ticketing :

- As ticketed.
- Through ORD / DFW / or any other routing to PHX
- Just JFK - LAX
- LAX - PHX

by one or both passengers together or individually.

I dont think I should have to know all their rules. I mention my mileage for no other reason than to demonstrate that I have some degree of famiiarity with the program. WHile I'm not the first and certainly not the last person to have an inexperienced agent misrepresent the rules as they understand them, comments like " I just wonder if it needs a new discussion every time an agent gives misinformation. It happens, people deal with it and move on. Well, maybe not everyone." seem to readily accept what's apparently to that author the corruption and dilution of the program.

If you cant believe the agent booking agent then who shoudl one believe ? Certainly not the some of the posts here.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I read your message several times and cannot figure out what is the problem.

We ticketed PHX-LAX-HKG-JFK-LAX-PHX in business for travel in May.
May, 2012? Has the trip already taken place?

May, 2013? Is this a future trip?

Was it an award ticket or a paid ticket or some combination of paid/award upgrade?

What cities were your intended destination? Did you have business in Hong Kong or New York or both?

Today I call to ticket 2 on Eagle from LAX – PHX and out come the rules about open jaws and a successive chorus of why that can’t now be done.
Are you in the middle of the trip today? Or are you talking about tickets for some other unrelated trip?

In order to get precise, valuable advice from a message board, you need to exactly, precisely spell out the pertinent facts of your question, omitting unnecessary drama and other details. Similarly, to get precise information from an airline reservation agent, you need to precisely spell out the pertinent facts of your situation and state your needs clearly.

Because I cannot understand your issues in your original message, I would venture to guess you might have been similarly vague when discussing your needs with the AA reservation agent. In such a case, I would not be surprised if the reservation got goofed up.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
If you cant believe the agent booking agent then who shoudl one believe ? Certainly not the some of the posts here.
Quite frankly I find the info I receive here is head and shoulders above some of the nonsense I've been told by an AAgent.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I agree with you 100%. You cannot believe all of the posts here, or all of the posters. There are about a dozen posters on the AA board who I trust to provide correct information. The rest at best seem not to know the limits of their knowledge (and therefore occasionally post incorrect information), and some seem to delight in making up answers when they don't know the answer. It takes many years of reading this board faithfully to know who you can trust. That isn't so good, but helping to balance out all the incorrect information is all the friendliness found here.

AAgents are pretty much the same situation. A few really know what they are talking about, a lot of them just make stuff up. It is best to know the correct answer yourself, so you can hang up and try another AAgent if you get one who makes up the answer, but that assumes you have spent the many years faithfully reading this board to know which posters here you can trust and which information is correct. This situation with the AAgents isn't so good either, but the AAgents are generally friendly also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.