Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Y Award with bad seats - how to improve?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
AA Y Award with bad seats - how to improve?

Hello,

I booked a YYZ-LAS award trip using AA miles, but I got some pretty bad seats on the S80 between ORD and LAS (13E and 31D). I'm not sure how it works with assigning seats before check-in, and once OLCI has begun...if someone could let me know what the best way to improve my seat, that would be much appreciated.

I have no OW status.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Get to airport earlier might be the only option I'm afraid...Airport agents might have some control over some last minute seats.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
cant you buy the preferred seats?.....i think that they are opened at 24 hrs & you can select them during checkin....info from other ft posts....
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Seats open up all the time, so just keep checking, more frequently as the flight date approaches.

Once you OLCI, you can no longer change your seat until you get to the airport. And there's really very little benefit to early OLCI in your situation. So don't check in until you're satisfied with your seats, or ready to head to the airport.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:54 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
If it is a true Y award you can have any open seat. Is it a saver award or is the plane really full?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by abk
If it is a true Y award you can have any open seat. Is it a saver award or is the plane really full?
It's a sAAver award...but thank you all, especially the bit about not being able to change seats until arriving at the airport once checked in.

Regarding the other point, there are a few preferred seats available, including the prime second emergency exit row - but nothing available in regular seats
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:49 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DaveTO
but nothing available in regular seats
Maybe I'm missing something of import in the original question but, if there are no seats available that you can move into, it would seem that you can't change seats. And it would seem that checking to see if seats open up is a wise move. Is there more to this question than those obvious considerations?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.