Search

Transferring miles -> Share AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Transferring miles -> Share AA Miles

A friend (basic member) is trying to gift me his 32K orphan miles. So we go to this site : https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...ODE=AAMktPgDom

We see that he can transfer his miles to me for a fee. And that :
....Members may transfer up to 100,000 miles and receive up to 100,000 miles per account, per calendar year....
But when we see the drop down menu, it only goes as far as 25,000 miles and not more.

Does anyone know why?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:31 pm

I have no idea; it may be a limit per transaction, or you may just to visit a different page.

On the other hand, you may not want to transfer the miles at all: if your friend instead just uses the miles to get a ticket for you, you won't have to pay the several hundred dollar miles transfer fee. Based on your credentials, I'm sure you know this already and want to use the miles for international business class or something, but just in case, thought I'd comment on it.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
My friend doesn't have enough miles to redeem SIN-YVR even in Y for me. But when combined with mine, its enough for a Biz ticket.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
A friend (basic member) is trying to gift me his 32K orphan miles. So we go to this site : https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...ODE=AAMktPgDom

We see that he can transfer his miles to me for a fee. And that :

But when we see the drop down menu, it only goes as far as 25,000 miles and not more.

Does anyone know why?
More transaction fees, what else.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
IIRC, that is AAs limit on mileage for each transfer transaction. That way, they can ding you for an extra $30 "processing fee" for every 25,000 miles you transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.