Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA "unable to crew" cancellations [as of late June 2012 and after]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald

I flew Delta out of ABQ this morning and noticed that American's first flight of the day to DFW had been cancelled. I continued to my gate and noticed on the departure board that two more AA flight to DFW had also been cancelled.
The gossiparound the airport among the competition centered around pilot sick leave (something is going around) and minor mech problems.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
AA cancellations

If you look at flight aware you'll see that American has had the most cancellations
the past week. UA not far behind
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:00 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

On Friday 9 AA mainline flights at ORD cancelled with the reason of "unable to crew"

Saturday saw 7 AA mainline flights at ORD cancelled with the reason of "unable to crew"

Sunday listed 1 AA mainline flight at ORD cancelled with the reason "unable to crew"

I'm hoping that this was just an end of month staffing challenge and not a trend.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by HNL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

On Friday 9 AA mainline flights at ORD cancelled with the reason of "unable to crew"

Saturday saw 7 AA mainline flights at ORD cancelled with the reason of "unable to crew"

Sunday listed 1 AA mainline flight at ORD cancelled with the reason "unable to crew"

I'm hoping that this was just an end of month staffing challenge and not a trend.
One of my flights tomorrow was cancelled unable to crew - DFW - AUS.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:06 pm

Have y'all not read about the "sick out" pilots planned? It's on this board somewhere.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Seems I recall someone mentioning some AA employees were "pitching a sickie" as they call it down under because of significant sick leave accrual and loss of some of the cash out they might receive otherwise.

While I do understand frustration, seriously negatively affecting your workplace in ways like this (and airlines offer some of the most perishable of goods and to some extent depend on customer good will) it's akin to, er, spitting in the reservoir you and yours drink out of. I empathize, but I do not sympathize, to put it another way.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could this be a problem of too many pilots hitting their monthly maximum number of hours?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:10 pm

If it were merely the end of the month, possibly; certainly not on July 1.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could this be a problem of too many pilots hitting their monthly maximum number of hours?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
While I do understand frustration, seriously negatively affecting your workplace in ways like this (and airlines offer some of the most perishable of goods and to some extent depend on customer good will) it's akin to, er, spitting in the reservoir you and yours drink out of. I empathize, but I do not sympathize, to put it another way.
Absolutely agree.

I first heard about this on an early June flight fom the EXP seated next to me, who seemed to be tight (based on things he said) with many an AA pilot. He said from what he heard July could be ugly. I didn't post it at the time, for fear of needlessly causing concern. I'll be interested to see how the month plays out.

Very shortsighted move, though.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:18 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Arrrgh, I have several flights to and from ORD this coming week. Will keep a close eye now.

Any idea how long before departure do AA determine "ability to crew"?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:20 pm

No idea. But I am extremely glad I planned a LIFO for my flight later this month if this is the way it's going to go, lest I get 'crewed in our travel plans.

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Arrrgh, I have several flights to and from ORD this coming week. Will keep a close eye now.

Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by AJLondon

My 10:40 am flight for tomorrow (July 2) cancelled before 7 pm on Saturday, June 30. MD-80. Sample size of one , so there is that.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:43 pm

So how does a flyer get compensated for cancellations?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: aa
We have a trip planned for later this month MCI-BKK the first leg is a 6am flight on AA to ORD with a 3pm connection to HKG. If the 6am is unable to crew for whatever reason, what are the chances of us making it to ORD for the 3pm connection??

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
We have a trip planned for later this month MCI-BKK the first leg is a 6am flight on AA to ORD with a 3pm connection to HKG. If the 6am is unable to crew for whatever reason, what are the chances of us making it to ORD for the 3pm connection??

Thanks for the help!
If AA cancels, have them push you over to UA.. They've got a lot of daily flights to ORD from MCI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.