Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPS on Multi-City Itinerary with quick turn

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

IRROPS on Multi-City Itinerary with quick turn

I'm thinking of doing a mileage run on a multi-city itinerary. All of the stops will be very quick - such that if I miss one flight, there is really no chance that I can catch back up with the itinerary.

The itinerary is all on one single multi-city ticket. It consists of the following:

Leg 1 - MSY-DFW-ANC...75 minute layover until 2nd leg
Leg 2 - ANC-DFW-BOS...2.5 hour layover until final leg
Leg 3 - BOS-MIA-MSY

The connections are not overly short, but a significant delay could throw everything off.

So my question is what if on the first leg, there is a 2 hour delay in for my MSY departing flight (to DFW). If the DFW-ANC flight leaves on time, I'd have no shot at "catching up" for the return flight to Dallas onward to Boston. Could I just say forget it, go home and request original routing credit? Or would they try to catch me up the entire time...putting me on constant standby for two days?

Anyone been in this situation? I tried searching, but could not find anything - at least not for AA.

Any help is greatly appreciated.^
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I doubt you could get ORC for the entire trip if you just returned home early on.
You might be able to pull a Trip in Vain though and return home, take mileage credit for what you have already flown, and get a full refund.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
You don't indicate what date your MSY-DFW is, or any AA status. There seem to be earlier MSY-DFW flights than AA150.

If you have status on AA, consider requesting free standby on an earlier MSY-DFW. If you don't have status, or if you want to have more certainty of an earlier DFW arrival, pay $75 for CFC (Confirmed Flight Change).
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Poster

No elite status...yet.

I just gave the MSY-DFW flight as an example, but really it could possibly go wrong in several spots - or not at all. I was just curious if there was a specific rule in that situation.

I guess the one thing that gives me comfort is that the entire itinerary is on a single AA issued ticket. I'd be a lot more hesitant if I was attempting to piecemeal it together.

I realize my example of just going home and getting ORC was extreme...But what if I got to Dallas late (on MSY-DFW) and said just route me to Boston (my second destination) with ORC? Is that likely or would they try to route me on AS to ANC and on to Boston? One other factor is that I'll probably apply a confirmed mileage upgrade on the legs to/from ANC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.