Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

How to get my AA status to show on an award ticket booked by AS (on AA metal)

Old Jun 19, 12, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Ok folks.

The wife and I both have AA Platinum through 2/13 (thanks to the status match!)

We're looking to travel to Europe in February using miles. (still not sure where we're going yet, but want to take advantage of the platinum status and the off peak mile requirement). We did Spain & Portugal last year around Christmas. Looking for somewhere not too cold, but that'll be tough in February in Europe!

We don't quite have enough miles on AA, but have enough on AS to book on AA (40k RT to Europe off peak)

So if we have AS issue our award ticket on AA metal, I know the AS frequent flier # shows up on the ticket. (My wife has MVP gold, but that'll end in 2012). I have no status on AS.

Two years when I had AS issue my award ticket on AA and I had AA try to enter my LAN FF# because I had PRemier status, they could not do it.

However, since this time it's AA's metal and AA's FF program I'm wondering if it will work.

This will allow me better all the perks like better seat choices (my wife will get that anyway with her MVP gold at the time of booking, assuming she books before 12/31/12), priority boarding and lounge access.

Anyone ever done this before? when I asked last time to have AS input my LAN # they balked and said it would look like I"m trying to accrue miles on an award ticket.

Any suggestions?

Other option would be to book two one way award tix to Europe using AA miles (we both only have a bit over 20k) and then buy a OW return ticket (preferably on a One World carrier so as to accrue bonus miles since we're platinum).

However those tix aren't cheap since we're in SFO. even in February. cheapest one world OW from LHR-SFO is $1300? not worth it at all.
Old Jun 20, 12, 12:03 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I have booked BA awards on AA and had AA switch to my FF# at the airport, no problem.
Old Jun 20, 12, 8:33 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Have AS issue the ticket, phone AA and have them put your Aadvantage numbers on the record, which should allow you to manage your booking using AA's website. You probably would also want to get AA's record locator, which will likely be different from AS's.

As for lounge access, just have your Plat cards in your possession at all airports, and you shouldn't have any difficulties.

Remember AS can only issue tickets on their own, or one other partner's equipment, so if you want to go to someplace in Europe not served by AA metal, you'd have to pay the difference on your own from the closest AA landing point. Using AA miles, you could use any number of partners on the same itinerary. If you're short of AA miles, you could probably buy them more cheaply than paying for a ticket. AA often has "specials" on miles purchase (20% bonuses, sometimes 30%) and since February is a slow time, getting award space usually isn't a problem, so you could wait for a sale.

[Moderator hat on] This really isn't a Oneworld forum topic; I'm going to move it to the AA board for further discussion. [/hat]
Old Jun 20, 12, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike View Post
I have booked BA awards on AA and had AA switch to my FF# at the airport, no problem.
But have you tried to have your AA # on your PNR ahead of time, so you can get better seat choices?
Old Jun 20, 12, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get your AA PNR from AS and pull your ressie on AA website using AA PNR

You dont ask AS to add your LAN number. You ask LAN to add the number to your AS ticket if it is on LAN metal. AA can only add its own number to the ticket, not the LAN number because it is on AA metal and an AS award.

You can pull up your AA ressie on AA website with the AA PNR (or even the flight information details), then add your AA number in the ressie this way.

Or you can call AA to have the phone agent do this for you.

You should investigate the cost of one-way paid ticket first before you entertain the idea of fly one direction on award and the other direction on paid ticket.

You also want to check miles earning chart on the program you want to earn miles on that one-way ticket. For example, AB is really low priced on one-way ticket between the 2 continent - about 50% less than their partners in OneWorld - BUT, the ticket earns you zilch because it is a deep discount fare.

For any mileage earning fare one-way between Europe and North America, the cost would be shockingly high.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 20, 12 at 10:52 am
Old Jun 20, 12, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
You dont ask AS to add your LAN number. You ask LAN to add the number to your AS ticket if it is on LAN metal. AA can only add its own number to the ticket, not the LAN number because it is on AA metal and an AS award.

You can pull up your AA ressie on AA website with the AA PNR (or even the flight information details), then add your AA number in the ressie this way.

Or you can call AA to have the phone agent do this for you.

You should investigate the cost of one-way paid ticket first before you entertain the idea of fly one direction on award and the other direction on paid ticket.

You also want to check miles earning chart on the program you want to earn miles on that one-way ticket. For example, AB is really low priced on one-way ticket between the 2 continent - about 50% less than their partners in OneWorld - BUT, the ticket earns you zilch because it is a deep discount fare.

For any mileage earning fare one-way between Europe and North America, the cost would be shockingly high.
Not using LAN for anything--FF# or flights

Trying to get my AA# on an AA ticket, on AA metal, but ISSUED by AS (b/c that is where my miles are).

Last time when I tried that, I pulled up my PNR on AA's website, using AA's PNR, but the FF# was greyed out--couldn't modify it.

maybe will just use my AS miles for an AA ticket (both the wife and I have enough for RT off peak to Europe)

but where to go....February is cold. Did Spain and Portugal just 6 months ago.

Trying to find a nice hilton hotel with an executive lounge so we can just chill and hang out. we have our son who will be 9 months old at the time, so can't do too much anyway.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: