AA Award: LAX-JFK (stop)-HKG-PVG legal?

Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

I was just able to put the award booking below on hold, all in 1st class, for 135k AA miles:

1) (AA118) 8/26 7:am - 3:30 pm LAX - JFK
2) (CX841) 8/27 10:05am - 8/28 2:05pm JFK - HKG
(KA808) 8/28 4:55pm - 7:30pm HKG - PVG
3) (AA182) 11/25 9:45pm - 5:15pm PVG - LAX
4) (AA32) 12/2 1:45pm - 10:05pm LAX - JFK

I'm really excited I got the JFK-PVG portion in first (even on the HKG-PVG Dragonair segment!) but am running into some confusion about my stopover rights.

I was able to get a stopover in LA on my return, but also want one in NYC (i.e, fly LAX-JFK a few days before the 27th). However, the EXP AAgent told me I'm only entitled to one stopover and couldn't do one in NYC since I already had one in LAX on my return (so she gave me a < 24 hours layover). I'm pretty sure that's wrong and I get one stopover each way, so I want to call in again to see if I can change the LAX-JFK date to an earlier one.

HOWEVER, I'm also not sure that my flying LAX-JFK-HKG is a legal awards routing either, so I'm afraid to call in again and possibly lose that segment. In fact, there was some problem with the pricing when I made the booking and the AAgent had to clear my itinerary with the rates desk.

Does anybody know if I'm normally allowed to book LAX-JFK-PVG? Should I call in again to try to get the stopover or just be thankful for the itinerary I have? Would especially appreciate advice from anybody who's done a similar booking. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by pongben; Jun 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:19 pm
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold

You are only allowed one stopover currently per round trip and one open jaw so my suggestion is take what you have otherwise you will loose what you have if you get some grouchy agent
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Usually, that type of backtrack is ok on such a long haul as long as it isn't beyond maximum mileage
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't look like you got an informed rep.
  • Awards are each way, and each way allows for one stopover at the North American gateway.
  • LAX-NYC-HKG-SHA is not legal on a single North-America to Asia award; it exceeds MPM by over 25%. The LAX-SHA MPM is 7778, the 25M is 9722, there is a 300 mile deduction for carrier CX, but you still have 10989 cumulative miles after such deduction. If you try to ticket it, it should fail automation.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by gotofly
You are only allowed one stopover currently per round trip and one open jaw so my suggestion is take what you have otherwise you will loose what you have if you get some grouchy agent
This is incorrect. AA no longer offers roundtrip awards. One stopover is permitted at the North American gateway on each one-way award between North America and another zone, in either direction. A stopover on the outbound award does not affect one's right to have a stopover on the return.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone, I decided to go ahead and book the ticket in case I lost my LAX-JFK leg. AA.com wasn't giving me the option to do it for some reason, so I called in to do it. Right now, the reservations page still shows it as "On Request", but when I go to the actual reservation it says "Ticketed."

Just waiting for my email confirmation now before I feel safe...!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pongben
Thanks for the advice everyone, I decided to go ahead and book the ticket in case I lost my LAX-JFK leg. AA.com wasn't giving me the option to do it for some reason, so I called in to do it. Right now, the reservations page still shows it as "On Request", but when I go to the actual reservation it says "Ticketed."

Congrat in pulling off such an itinerary... CX must have a published fare that allows such routing (allow LAX-HKG-SHA to route thru JFK). I believe it allows LAX-JFK-HKG but it seems in the past people have trouble booking it when they have SHA added to the routing.

BTW, award involved partners would not allow you to ticket online. Phone ticketing is the only option.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:49 pm
Suspended

I decided to go ahead and book the ticket in case I lost my LAX-JFK leg. AA.com wasn't giving me the option to do it for some reason, so I called in to do it. Right now, the reservations page still shows it as "On Request", but when I go to the actual reservation it says "Ticketed."

Don't be surprised if ticketing rejects your itinerary. hillrider was right.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Just got my confirmation email and everything says ticketed on AA.com! Looks like I pulled this one off.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:28 pm
Suspended

What is the ticketed routing, including airlines, connections, and stopovers?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
What is the ticketed routing, including airlines, connections, and stopovers?
Exactly what was in my original post!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Then you are very lucky. It should have been rejected upon ticketing.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly what was in my original post!
Lucky indeed! ^
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider
Lucky indeed! ^
Feeling very lucky and grateful!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.