Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to extend match status given EXP to UA 1Ks for flying 55K

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It just seems to me that AA is trying to grab more high volume and often higher fare flyers from the competition, particularly if AA believes that the competition is making changes to alienate those customers.

It might also mean at least in the short run AA will not make changes that adversely impact EXPs, first and foremost requiring certain fare codes for the use of SWUs.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by brp
The problem I see with this is that it could apply every year. Setting a precedent for allowing existing customers a shortcut to EXP if they happen to be behind is, IMO, a bad idea. I see the point that maybe they should do it just this once since they're doing the UA thing. I just don't see that it would stop there in people's expectations.

In any year, there are AA fliers that might "fly more" with a reduced incentive. I don't think it's a good idea to provide this incentive. If people want a status, they should earn it. Even challenges should be once-per-lifetime, IMO.

Cheers.
Agreed. Matches/challenges should be once in a lifetime and existing customers should be excluded.

Then again, I think matches should never happen, but that's a different story.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
So has AA added a stop to HNL?

Originally Posted by tom911
The capacity is there. There were 14 gates listed on the original press release when the terminal opened, split between AA and Virgin America, and many times I see open AA gates when there. AA has 6 gates, Virgin America 7, and there is one shared gate.

That's right. All of those are AA hubs. We used to have nonstops to BOS and HNL but they're gone.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by thegrailer
way off topic
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:14 pm

Yes.

LAX...

Originally Posted by aero0729
way off topic

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jun 8, 2012 at 8:56 pm
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Well, if we get enough SFO UA 1K flyers that want HNL flights, I wouldn't rule it out down the line. UA does SFO-HNL five times a day. If AA sees a big increase in demand for SFO origin HNL flights, I hope they would reconsider at least one nonstop flight a day so they don't lose those UA flyers.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
United is beginning to fight fire with fire. I have a UA LGA-DEN trip next week so I thought why not? Called and requested 1K status. Received one level below and I can go to 1K if I fly 25k in next 3 mos.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by george 3
United is beginning to fight fire with fire. I have a UA LGA-DEN trip next week so I thought why not? Called and requested 1K status. Received one level below and I can go to 1K if I fly 25k in next 3 mos.
Speaking as a current 1K, I'll just say this: Be careful what you wish for...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Could you expand on that? I am seriously considering this (reasons are a combination of limited choices that one world has for non stop flights and the fact that lately the EXP upgrades have been harder to come by ... even on mid afternoon flights)
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by cover point
Could you expand on that? I am seriously considering this (reasons are a combination of limited choices that one world has for non stop flights and the fact that lately the EXP upgrades have been harder to come by ... even on mid afternoon flights)
Well, you would need to expand on what routes you are talking about but in general I doubt you will find it easier to upgrade as a 1K on UA as opposed to a EXP on AA.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cover point
Do you have an hour or two?

Seriously, my best advice is to simply peruse the UA forum for all the comments by the happy campers there. In the meantime...

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Well, you would need to expand on what routes you are talking about but in general I doubt you will find it easier to upgrade as a 1K on UA as opposed to a EXP on AA.
...yes, it would be good to know what routes you have in mind, but generally scoring complimentary domestic upgrades on UA is much tougher than on AA. For one thing, as a 1K you're lower on the totem pole than UA's Global Services members. For another, while it's not official policy, UA has instituted what is colloquially called on the UA forum "Tens of Dollars" (TODs) upgrades, meaning it often sells domestic upgrades to non-elites or non-members (sometimes for tens of dollars, but often for hundreds) before offering them for free to elites who otherwise wold be first in line. Thirdly, UA's upgrade system is non-transparent in ways that go beyond the TODs issue. Etc., etc., etc.

2. As of 3/3/12, as part of its integration with CO, UA adopted CO's antiquated SHARES reservation system which means that simple changes, corrections, etc., that UA used to do (and that AA can still do easily) now cannot be done or take much longer, and that problems such as lost reservations and seats are much more likely to take place to begin with. Dealing with such problems literally can take hours on the phone, much of it waiting on hold.

3. As a ramification of #2, IRROPS have become much worse on UA. The system can't handle simple changes easily, it takes the UA staff much longer to do them, if the staff is lazy (or more commonly) busy they are reluctant to hassle with them, etc.

4. Customer service for EXPs is simply much better than for 1Ks. The AA EXP desk in particular is light years ahead of the 1K desk...Oops, there is no 1K desk any more.

5. And believe it or not, this list just scratches the surface.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Do you have an hour or two?

Seriously, my best advice is to simply peruse the UA forum for all the comments by the happy campers there. In the meantime...

...yes, it would be good to know what routes you have in mind, but generally scoring complimentary domestic upgrades on UA is much tougher than on AA. For one thing, as a 1K you're lower on the totem pole than UA's Global Services members. For another, while it's not official policy, UA has instituted what is colloquially called on the UA forum "Tens of Dollars" (TODs) upgrades, meaning it often sells domestic upgrades to non-elites or non-members (sometimes for tens of dollars, but often for hundreds) before offering them for free to elites who otherwise wold be first in line. Thirdly, UA's upgrade system is non-transparent in ways that go beyond the TODs issue. Etc., etc., etc.

2. As of 3/3/12, as part of its integration with CO, UA adopted CO's antiquated SHARES reservation system which means that simple changes, corrections, etc., that UA used to do (and that AA can still do easily) now cannot be done or take much longer, and that problems such as lost reservations and seats are much more likely to take place to begin with. Dealing with such problems literally can take hours on the phone, much of it waiting on hold.

3. As a ramification of #2, IRROPS have become much worse on UA. The system can't handle simple changes easily, it takes the UA staff much longer to do them, if the staff is lazy (or more commonly) busy they are reluctant to hassle with them, etc.

4. Customer service for EXPs is simply much better than for 1Ks. The AA EXP desk in particular is light years ahead of the 1K desk...Oops, there is no 1K desk any more.

5. And believe it or not, this list just scratches the surface.
Agreed 200%! I did have good luck with upgrades as a 1K but fly on easy routes (ex MCO) and on weekends a-lot. Anytime I am not ex-MCO I barely make it or sit in coach. UA Customer Service - WORST in the biz. AA actually can call you back if necessary!!!! UA laughed once when I asked for a call back and said "We cannot call each other in the call center, let alone make an outbound call"
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by DFWDave
....At the end of the day, unless something strange happens, I'm not going anywhere, so I'm low risk....
Given the praise level for AA service, this may be the general feeling. Sometimes I sense we FT-types think that a majority of elite FFs are on FT, but we are most probably a tiny fraction. The overall % of AA EXPs that are even aware of the match for 1Ks is likely pretty small.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
The more, the merrier. I am about as loyal as can be to AA. They've done some incredible things for me and I won't ever willingly switch carriers. I am very happy to welcome and retain our newly minted United EXPs. It's better for AA, and it's better for us.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I hope the sudden increase in the number of EXPs....... will not "de-value" the EXP status to something similar to what UA 1K has become over the past year or so.
I understand your point about an increase in number of EXP's, but I truly believe that the devaluation of 1K has been the result of PLANNED decisions taken by CO management. It is their intent to remake the merged airline into a culture of "all elites are equal", and 1K perks just get in the way of that.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.