Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to extend match status given EXP to UA 1Ks for flying 55K

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
OK, we'll just have to disagree about whether different standards should be applied to poaching UA customers to incenting underachieving (so far) current AA customers based on possible future increases.

Cheers.
You were singing a different song on May 3? At that point I think you were saying AA should only want 'exceeders' who could get 100,000 pts/miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I would think AA would want to grace these new UA EXPs who show 'significant' loyalty - not sure if that is 80,000 miles/points + in 8 months, but it would be silly to let a new EXP who racks up 80,000 miles/points to fall to Plat and possibly move back to UA.
We'll just have to disagree on this. I do see both sides, and I see people falling on both sides of the argument. AA should really want the folks who are "exceeders." These people will get 100K within the next 8 months.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to all the 1ks. It is a pleasure to have you. Thank you for your support in the effort to keep AA a standalone company. I've been exp for 10+ years. AA may not be perfect but they aren't out there talking about there overentitled elites. occasionally, out of desperation are born some great ideas!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
You were singing a different song on May 3? At that point I think you were saying AA should only want 'exceeders' who could get 100,000 pts/miles?

Quote:
I would think AA would want to grace these new UA EXPs who show 'significant' loyalty - not sure if that is 80,000 miles/points + in 8 months, but it would be silly to let a new EXP who racks up 80,000 miles/points to fall to Plat and possibly move back to UA.
We'll just have to disagree on this. I do see both sides, and I see people falling on both sides of the argument. AA should really want the folks who are "exceeders." These people will get 100K within the next 8 months.

Cheers.
My point is that they definitely should not be offering this to current underachieving EXPs (or any current EXPs). I'm of a mind on offering it to the UA folks...maybe coming around to it. But the comment above was about offering it to current EXPs.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by DFWDave
....Again, if they are willing to instantly match EXP status and then extend it based on a lower mileage threshold, they should be equally willing to offer a challenge to an existing customer who is ramping up consistent travel later in the year in the form of a challenge....
I see your point, and would feel the same if positions were reversed.
But the biggest difference is that you are already flying AA to some extent, yet the business others are bringing in is new cash. Put another way, you already know how great AA is, but I'm being enticed to check it out.
Likely makes you feel no better....
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1MM, Hilton Dmd, Marriott GLD, SPG GLD, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nzpilot
I see your point, and would feel the same if positions were reversed.
But the biggest difference is that you are already flying AA to some extent, yet the business others are bringing in is new cash. Put another way, you already know how great AA is, but I'm being enticed to check it out.
Likely makes you feel no better....
My cash is still new, and I still had a vote when my travel spiked at my new job to stay AA or go elsewhere. I will be an exceeder without a doubt (my usual travel companion just re-qualified for EXP this week).

The only difference is that my loyalty is not new, and my travel pattern is new. The UA folks (to whom I hold no grudge in this matter) is the opposite - existing travel pattern but loyalty elsewhere.

I'm not here to flame the 1Ks that were comped or even suggest I get the same, but point out that it warrants and "exceeder" level challenge for someone that isn't 1K but whose travel patterns are changing drastically. Along the same lines/reasoning for allowing an EXP a "soft landing" to PLT if they drastically drop off the travel radar.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
+1, bring your money to AA! and ^ to AA, I agree wholeheartedly with Shareholder and JDiver above me.
Just did.....so since I'm new...someone might be able to help me. I just booked 30,000 miles of I/A fares tonight....am I correct this will translate to 45,000 qualifying miles and I'm almost to the 55,000 I need?

Other question...AA does the 500 seg minimum right? So 750 EQM on an I fare?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
I don't blame the UA converts at all. In fact, welcome.

What irks me is that about this time last year I was sitting (as I am now) at around 75k EQP due to a change in travel pattern from about 60k EQM for 2010. When I inquired about a fast track to EXP I was swiftly denied. I was mostly flying coast to coast 2-3 times a month so I really needed the status for upgrades.

Now I find myself mostly on TPAC in J so loyalty does not have as high a payoff.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
You know what makes me feel welcome on AA, though I've not taken my first flight yet?

If UA was poaching AA elites, the UA board would be lighting up with over-entitlement and blasting the AA elites for stealing their upgrade.

I've seen almost none of that here...it's more thanks for helping us out. Look forward to seeing that on-board soon. My first flights are in four weeks...and I'll be adding 4 new countries to my count!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
If UA was poaching AA elites, the UA board would be lighting up with over-entitlement and blasting the AA elites for stealing their upgrade.

I've seen almost none of that here...it's more thanks for helping us out. Look forward to seeing that on-board soon. My first flights are in four weeks...and I'll be adding 4 new countries to my count!
I don't mean to ruin your honeymoon period, but some of that has already been said, about UA matchers stealing upgrades.

I don't worry about it, but it was mentioned.

But maybe the majority don't think that way, so that's why you don't feel it.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
My point is that they definitely should not be offering this to current underachieving EXPs (or any current EXPs). I'm of a mind on offering it to the UA folks...maybe coming around to it. But the comment above was about offering it to current EXPs.

Cheers.
got it. misunderstood. also people change opinions.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Got the offer as well. I was PLEASANTLY surprised. Over at UA this would NEVER happen. I'll hit with absolutely no problem...either way. Still, I think it's a smart move on AA's part to keep the pressure on UA. The vultures are circling...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Overall smart move from AA's part to offer pro-rated requalification requirement for matched 1K's.

Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Just did.....so since I'm new...someone might be able to help me. I just booked 30,000 miles of I/A fares tonight....am I correct this will translate to 45,000 qualifying miles and I'm almost to the 55,000 I need?

Other question...AA does the 500 seg minimum right? So 750 EQM on an I fare?
Your 30K miles in these premium fares will translate to 45K elite qualifying points. You need either 55K miles or points to requalify, so yeah, you'll almost be there. And yes, the 500-mile minimum per segment will net you 750 minimum points. Best to read the forum FAQ to solidify your knowledge about the subtleties of AA's elite qualifying points, miles, and segments. It can be kind of confusing to newcomers
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Thumbs up Another smart marketing move by AA

A VERY smart move. I am really struck by the differences, in nearly all respects, between AA and UA in 2012. Here's what AA's proactive approach has meant to them in May from my perspective: A new customer who personally flew 15k miles in one month, spent over $10K, and is advocating for them as a preferred carrier to colleagues, instead of UA.

Today's email is another inspired and welcome surprise: a fair way to requalify for '13 (I had already flown 50K miles needlessly on UA this year) and it guarantees my business and revenue stays exclusively with AA - indefinitely. Someone in Dallas has brilliant business acumen... makes me predict they will emerge from reorganization successfully and soon. ^
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I wouldn't rule out UA doing something down the line, so that may still come. With having to "buy-up" to use UA systemwides on international they could make significant revenue by giving those away to status-matched 1Ks who play the upgrade lottery, particularly if they don't clear and don't get a refund in that scenario. I gave away 7 of my 9 systemwides over there last year as I would not play (used the last two on a RT transcon). Just very different than what we're used to at AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.