Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving over from UA... But a bit of sticker shock.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
Moving over from UA... But a bit of sticker shock.

Hi!

I get monthly access to AA 10% coupons and I can hit a Costco for AA cards; but I'm still suffering a bit of sticker shock at the cost of AA over UA, especially ex-MSY.

Is this just the way it is? (tm) Are there some other tricks I've missed in scanning the AA forum this past few weeks?

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:50 pm

Really depends on where and when you are traveling. Some places AA wins, some UA. I personally pay a pretty big premium to go AA over UA for several routes, and to me it's worth every penny. I also get better fares for certain places as well.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by rizwank
Hi!

I get monthly access to AA 10% coupons and I can hit a Costco for AA cards; but I'm still suffering a bit of sticker shock at the cost of AA over UA, especially ex-MSY.

Is this just the way it is? (tm) Are there some other tricks I've missed in scanning the AA forum this past few weeks?

Thanks!
Out of curiosity, where do you guys get these monthly 10% off coupons. I seriously need to become a costco member to save 10% on the AA gift cards.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Unfortunately AA does tend to have a price premium ex-MSY. I think it's because UA has more lift, so you have more discount seats available.. (UA used to have hourly IAH flights from 5 AM to 11 PM) .
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, American Advantage
Out of DEN, LAX, and SFO AA is always cheaper for me then UA which is nice as AA now is a nicer airline, especially once they get E+. I guess out West they are small so they have to compete more.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've had bad luck myself. I was thrilled to get a status match to AA from UA but it seems that they're at a serious premium on everything I search ex-RDU/GSO. No flights booked with them yet because of it
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA
TPAC Fares

TPAC fares out of New York is rediculous too and have to code share once I get to NRT. I'm really debating whether switching makes sense for me. Though, I am sooo over UA.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Fares vary among airlines from time to time. I am somewhat surprised at all of the threads expressing dismay when fares differ. I presume that if fares never differed between airlines, some on this board would be making allegations of collusion and price fixing.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dickinson
Fares vary among airlines from time to time. I am somewhat surprised at all of the threads expressing dismay when fares differ. I presume that if fares never differed between airlines, some on this board would be making allegations of collusion and price fixing.
Excellent comment. And you bet, if fare were identical we would most likely allege collusion and price fixing.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
From Tulsa, it's a wash. Some flights they are higher, some they are lower. Most flights it's a tie or within $50.

Being a city that relies on a hub to fly to and no nonstops, I'm pretty stuck with the hub method.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.