One World fares cheaper than AA Metal

Old May 30, 2012, 12:04 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3 million, IHG RA, United, Delta
One World fares cheaper than AA Metal

I have searched on this forum for this topic, but could not find any information. Forgive me if I upset anyone because there might be a thread and I missed it. Anyway I appreciate the information found on Flyer Talk and have contributed a few posts, but this is my first time to start a post with my question. Have you noticed that the AA metal flights to various cities in Europe, Tel Aviv, Athens, etc are more expensive than the one world partner flights? What upsets me is that AA knows that we cannot use our SWU on one world flights and so we pay the most to fly AA and use our upgrades. Am I off base? I am checking for several overseas flights in the fall, Oct-Dec. Maybe I should wait until closer to the date of departure. Any other suggestions? In reading how some people respond to newbie’s, I hope I have not offended anyone. Thanks to you all for your informative posts.
Collector
Old May 30, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM; Priority Club-Platinum
You are looking at code shares. AA metal does not fly to Athens, TLV, etc . Yes, SWU are only good on AA metal. So no SWU on OW code share.

Next time, look at the flight number, and do a search on AA.com. You will find out who operates the code-shared flight. In these cases, BA and IB.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:23 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

yes, I understand. what I have been looking at were flights to Tel Aviv (TLV) the leg on BA from LAX to LHR and then on to TLV is cheaper than the AA flight from LAX to LHR, then BA to Tel Aviv. same thing from LAX to Madrid, leg is cheaper on Iberia, than AA. So if I want to use my SWU, I have to pay more to fly the leg that is on AA metal. Several of the flights say AA, but they are Iberia, with a AA flight number. I have been told that we cannot use SWU on those flights either. Maybe I have been given incorrect information by the EXP desk.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by collector1
I have been told that we cannot use SWU on those flights either. Maybe I have been given incorrect information by the EXP desk.
You have been given correct information about this. The SWUs can only be used on AA-market, AA metal flights. I've seen what you say as well, but it makes sense that a flight on a "home" airline (BA to Britain, IB to Spain) would be cheaper than AA. It is just the way it is. If you want to use the SWU, you have to pay AA prices. I doubt that they make those fares with SWU use in mind given how few are used on any given flight.

Cheers.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
yes, I understand. what I have been looking at were flights to Tel Aviv (TLV) the leg on BA from LAX to LHR and then on to TLV is cheaper than the AA flight from LAX to LHR, then BA to Tel Aviv. same thing from LAX to Madrid, leg is cheaper on Iberia, than AA. So if I want to use my SWU, I have to pay more to fly the leg that is on AA metal. Several of the flights say AA, but they are Iberia, with a AA flight number. I have been told that we cannot use SWU on those flights either. Maybe I have been given incorrect information by the EXP desk.
DEPENDING ON DATES OF TRAVEL:
LAX-MAD is only flown by IB ; LAX_LHR has 4 flights, 3 operated by BA and one by AA, AA136, 7:50pm. So if you want to use SWU, it will only be on this one if there is availability. Then you will connect in LHR to TLV. It may be cheaper to book as one entire trip, or two different tickets.
Also, if you really want to use your SWU, connect from LAX to ORD/DFW/MIA/JFK then to MAD/LHR flexibility is the key to use of SWU. Be aware that using SWU to LHR, you will pay premium tax.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM; Priority Club-Platinum
I don't know how you are pricing your fares, but when I use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ I do not get that anomaly. The AA/LY combination is usually pretty cheap. You can use your SWU on AA to LHR and then sit in coach on to TLV on El Al.

The fares vary all over the map for this fall. DL, LX, AF and several others are the cheapest depending on the day from LAX.

The differences from BA through routing and a AA/BA routing are negligible.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Thanks for the advice. One of the reasons that I started this is because, I have flown the route LAX to LHR on AA then continued to Tel Aviv on BA several times and the fare using AA to LHR as cheap if not cheaper than the LAX to LHR on BA continuning on to Tel Aviv. Same thing using AA to Madrid, then continuning on to Tel Aviv. not now. The fare to Madrid on AA is more expensive than the fare on Iberia. There also seems to be fewern AA international flights than last year and more using one world partners. Just my observations. I will fly AA so I can use my SWU at least for as long as I can.
Old May 30, 2012, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rploehn
I don't know how you are pricing your fares, but when I use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ I do not get that anomaly.
[...] The fare to Madrid on AA is more expensive than the fare on Iberia. [...] Just my observations.
Can you provide actual examples (dates, flights) when you see this? Your statement contraddicts the one from rploehn.
Old May 30, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Also, if you really want to use your SWU, connect from LAX to ORD/DFW/MIA/JFK then to MAD/LHR flexibility is the key to use of SWU. Be aware that using SWU to LHR, you will pay premium tax."

Not true. There is no APD for flying into London. And there is no APD for flying out of London, as long as your journey originates elsewhere (like ORD or ATH or TLV), and you connect within 24 hours, provided all flights are on one ticket or on "conjunction" tickets.

Last edited by guv1976; May 30, 2012 at 1:56 pm
Old May 30, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
I have searched on this forum for this topic, but could not find any information. Forgive me if I upset anyone because there might be a thread and I missed it. Anyway I appreciate the information found on Flyer Talk and have contributed a few posts, but this is my first time to start a post with my question. Have you noticed that the AA metal flights to various cities in Europe, Tel Aviv, Athens, etc are more expensive than the one world partner flights? What upsets me is that AA knows that we cannot use our SWU on one world flights and so we pay the most to fly AA and use our upgrades. Am I off base? I am checking for several overseas flights in the fall, Oct-Dec. Maybe I should wait until closer to the date of departure. Any other suggestions? In reading how some people respond to newbie’s, I hope I have not offended anyone. Thanks to you all for your informative posts.
Collector
It's sad that you feel you have to apologize profusely for asking a question and assure folks that you DID search. I hope a moderator takes note of that.

In any case, welcome to FT. It is correct that you have to use SWUs on AA metal. But I think you have to think of it as compared to buying a J or F ticket on a non-AA metal codeshare, because that is what you are really buying. That's how I think of it. And if you think of it that way you're getting a real deal.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:14 pm

I will fly AA so I can use my SWU at least for as long as I can.
Yes. That's exactly what I do. There are times when competing airlines are cheaper, but that's just the game we play to sit in premium cabins without paying premium prices.

When I fly to Asia, I usually fly LAX-NRT before enduring coach on JL to my final destination.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:21 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Yes, that is what I do as well. At least we have the SWU to use. Thanks to everyone for your response. Once the dates are set, I see what is available and of course what flight/s I can get the SWU.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by LTRS
In any case, welcome to FT. It is correct that you have to use SWUs on AA metal. But I think you have to think of it as compared to buying a J or F ticket on a non-AA metal codeshare, because that is what you are really buying. That's how I think of it. And if you think of it that way you're getting a real deal.
Another variable to factor would be the exhorbatant taxes paid on a OW BA or IB fare vs. and AA fare (in which you can use your SWU anyway).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.