Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA-DFW J May 29: Bad Service

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 5:48 am
Original Poster

FRA-DFW J May 29: Bad Service

Bad service yesterday on this flight. Flight attendants acted like they really didn't want to be there. Very disorganized/inefficient in service. FAs not friendly, few smiles. Acted like they would rather be somewhere else.

Looking forward to AA's new J seat. Old product simply not competitive. Overall, service/ seat not acceptable for business class.

Had geat service DFW-MSY. This crew should have been on the FRA-DFW flight.

Last edited by aceflyer2; May 30, 2012 at 5:59 am
Old May 30, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by aceflyer2
Bad service yesterday on this flight. Flight attendants acted like they really didn't want to be there. Very disorganized/inefficient in service. FAs not friendly, few smiles. Acted like they would rather be somewhere else.

Looking forward to AA's new J seat. Old product simply not competitive. Overall, service/ seat not acceptable for business class.

Had geat service DFW-MSY. This crew should have been on the FRA-DFW flight.
What else is new? We all know AA's aircraft are not clean, have dated on-board products and amenities, flight attendants (especially international) believe passengers are a nuisance. You probably flew on a 20-25 year old 767 with 60-70++ year old FAs!
Old May 30, 2012, 6:43 am
Original Poster

FAs didn't appear to be that old (perhaps 40s-early 50s). Now F flight attendant DFW-MSY was probably 60s, and was excellent. Wish she had been in J FRA-DRW.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
What else is new? We all know AA's aircraft are not clean, have dated on-board products and amenities, flight attendants (especially international) believe passengers are a nuisance. You probably flew on a 20-25 year old 767 with 60-70++ year old FAs!
Old May 30, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
However old they may have been or appeared to have been, you must understand what you experienced is the norm, not the exception on AA unfortunately. Many international FAs on AA treat the FA call button as a lighting fixture, scold passengers for requesting amenities outside the meal window to interrupt their gossip/reading time, tell passengers they are out of a certain entree only to later find the FA eating it on their jump seat (happened to one of my friends several years ago), they may even direct/demand you to move seats to accommodate their crewrest preferences!
Old May 30, 2012, 6:58 am
Original Poster

You need to understand there really is no excuse for this level of service...

However old they may have been or appeared to have been, you must understand what you experienced is the norm, not the exception on AA unfortunately. Many international FAs on AA treat the FA call button as a lighting fixture, scold passengers for requesting amenities outside the meal window to interrupt their gossip/reading time, tell passengers they are out of a certain entree only to later find the FA eating it on their jump seat (happened to one of my friends several years ago), they may even direct/demand you to move seats to accommodate their crewrest preferences!
Old May 30, 2012, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Many international FAs on AA treat the FA call button as a lighting fixture, scold passengers for requesting amenities outside the meal window to interrupt their gossip/reading time, tell passengers they are out of a certain entree only to later find the FA eating it on their jump seat (happened to one of my friends several years ago), they may even direct/demand you to move seats to accommodate their crewrest preferences!
Many? That's not my experience. Hyperbole is unhelpful in setting expectations.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by aceflyer2
You need to understand there really is no excuse for this level of service...
Agreed completely I in no way condone these actions I'm just sharing my similar experience.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Again this not the norm. Pre bankruptcy and during bankrutpcy I've meet FAs that love giving their best to their customers. Sure, most of them are nervous and fearful about the future. But most try not to let that impact they way they provide the service.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:43 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
However old they may have been or appeared to have been, you must understand what you experienced is the norm, not the exception on AA unfortunately.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Many? That's not my experience. Hyperbole is unhelpful in setting expectations.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Again this not the norm.
Definitely not the norm. In several hundred flights over the past few years, I have not experienced the reported level of service even once...not even once. All of the service has been anywhere from OK (and the worst) to excellent. Never bad. Ever. Maybe we've just been lucky on all these hundreds of flights. Yeah, maybe.

Of course, we always need another thread whining about flight attendant service, because we don't get enough of those.

cheers.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I've been on 47 segments ytd - transcon, hub to hub, etc mostly F or J but a few Y on failed upgrade requests. I can think of only three instances where an FA was cranky. One in F two weeks ago from LAX to JFK when the FAs were taking everyone's jacket but mine (I usually in J so maybe I looked out of place with the bankers sitting to my left and the starlet sitting on my right). Cranky LGA-DFW FA (happens due to demanding EXPs). Semi-cranky FA on AE flight from ABQ to LAX.

Everyone has a bad day boys and girls, even those in jobs that service customers.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
Originally Posted by brp
Definitely not the norm. In several hundred flights over the past few years, I have not experienced the reported level of service even once...not even once. All of the service has been anywhere from OK (and the worst) to excellent. Never bad. Ever. Maybe we've just been lucky on all these hundreds of flights. Yeah, maybe.

Of course, we always need another thread whining about flight attendant service, because we don't get enough of those.

cheers.
Or, perhaps your expectations are lower and thus your perceived level of service has been greater than it has for some of us.

I too have had hundreds of flights over the years and have often experienced horrible service with the occasional OK service. Good service on international AA J or F has been quite elusive for me. I do think the odds or receiving good service are slightly better than the odds of winning Powerball, but not by much.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by brp
+1. 98% of my flights on AA are always with very good FA's.

...now, on UA...

Indeed.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
In several trips across the Atlantic this year the only time I felt there was an issue with the service in J was on BA (LHR-Baltimore). Food was plopped down in front of us and hauled away as if they were cleaning the stables. Maybe that's why they're...oh I guess not.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ltgfrk
Or, perhaps your expectations are lower and thus your perceived level of service has been greater than it has for some of us.
My expectations are that the flight attendants are courteous. Friendly is certainly not required, but we get that 95+% of the time. I expect that they are attentive to reasonable needs, bearing in mind that there are other passengers as well, so I may not be able to get everything now. I expect that they can't always give me what I want if they don't have it, and that they are polite in letting me know.

When I ask for something, I receive it. I don't have to ring call buttons or flag someone down. They come around frequently enough, more than often enough in the vast majority of cases. Even in the worst of cases, it is sufficient.

I think that these are reasonable, and far from low, expectations. They are always met. In most cases, they are exceeded.

Perhaps others are expecting a more individualized and personalized service despite the fact that there are other passengers (who may also have those expectations). Maybe some don't like being told "I'm sorry, but we don't have your entree available" and perceive it as some lack of service on the part of the flight attendant.

I have not been on the flights that folks here are complaining about, so I can't comment on what transpired. I can only comment about my experience based on decidedly non-reduced expectations. And, again, these experiences are universally good.

Cheers.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Ltgfrk
I too have had hundreds of flights over the years and have often experienced horrible service with the occasional OK service. Good service on international AA J or F has been quite elusive for me. I do think the odds or receiving good service are slightly better than the odds of winning Powerball, but not by much.
Just so I understand: you choose to fly hundreds of times on an airline that typically provides service that you consider "horrible"? You must not be telling the truth about one of these things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.