Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AVOID LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Plat
Transit LHR 30 times a year. I have never experienced any of that. If you were going to the Concorde room, would that not be a T5 to T5 transfer since it is BA first only that have access to the Concorde room?. T5 to T5 quite easy.

From T5 arrival at the gate to T3 Admirals club for me with fast trak only takes 45 min.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by booji
I have to mention that on a recent experience with LHR, I was quite dissatisfied with the security personnel at T5 who I thought were both rude and arrogant. First, as an EXP, I thought we were allowed to utilize the fast track line at T5 (came in on an AA flight TATL in J, transferred onto a domestic UK flight with BA with no CE). The BA gatekeepers on the lower level allowed me into the fast track lane, but when I got upstairs, the security personnel informed me that since I am not traveling in J or F, that I am not allowed to use the fast track lane and tried to send me to one of the other lanes. I informed them that I was an EXP and arriving on a J ticket and transferring to Y since there was no J on this UK domestic flight; and in the process was accused of being "arrogant". Obviously, I was quite irrate at that point, spoke with the supervisor for this agent, and got his name and badge number to file a complaint with BA/BAA. Nevertheless, this has been only one poor security experience in over 10+ years of transiting in LHR.
Really bad luck, In my experience the security personnel have been quite knowledgeable on who belongs to which line. Must have been a noob.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:40 am

Is there data somewhere on average LHR immigration wait times sorted by time of day?
Old May 18, 2012, 7:42 am

Avoid LHR? Got any other tidbits from the obvious files?
Old May 18, 2012, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I don't get these recurring LHR/CDG/MIA hate threads. I travel through all of them frequently and I find them to be no better and no worse than the average major international airport.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:37 am
Suspended

I, too, indeed found following statements being false:

1>, UK Immigration being rude
-- You have to go through US and Australia boraders to tell what is called rude

2>, Luton or Stansted being major getaway:
-- Which airline flys you from US to that two airports? And yet I failed to see any sensible man will fly from Germany to Italy via those two airports on a through fare yet...
Old May 18, 2012, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
Is there data somewhere on average LHR immigration wait times sorted by time of day?
Look at BA's analyses on the peak waves of arriving flight in LGW and LHR...could be found in IAG website annual reports or something similar.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mark_T
You can substitute virtually any international airport into the description and it would be accurate from time to time.
It's pretty common to take a one-off situation and make a generalized rant here in an effort to "help" all of us learn something new. And here it is again. And we've heard this whine many,many times...but a new thread on a played out topic is always welcome

We seek out LHR. Rarely more than 35-40 minutes from on-the-plane to the lounge on the far side. Less for same terminal, maybe 5 minutes more for T3<->T5.

Of course, knowing where to go and how to get around there helps.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:32 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by gabrielexposito
Surely CDG is worse.
Non!

I can sympathize with the OP. I won't go anywhere near LHR while there is (if one is selected) mandatory body scan with no opt out possible, and the OP is spot-on about the awful "security" staff from the UK's DfT. I used to visit/transit the UK quite often; now I happily spend my money elsewhere. The First lounges (and sometimes the Concorde Room) just aren't worth the misery, especially when one factors in the APD and the possibility of long immigration waits due to immigration personnel job actions. As to whether the UK "security" or immigration is worse than US: I couldn't care less. I won't cater to the lowest common denominator - I'll spend where I am appreciated and not harassed whenever possible.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brp
It's pretty common to take a one-off situation and make a generalized rant here in an effort to "help" all of us learn something new. And here it is again. And we've heard this whine many,many times...but a new thread on a played out topic is always welcome

We seek out LHR. Rarely more than 35-40 minutes from on-the-plane to the lounge on the far side. Less for same terminal, maybe 5 minutes more for T3<->T5.

Of course, knowing where to go and how to get around there helps.

Cheers.
Ditto, it's never taken me >1 hour to get from on the plane at either T3 or T5 to the BA lounge at the other terminal. As for checking in an clearing security at either T3 or T5, that's never taken as more than about 30 minutes. In 2011 alone, I went to, or through, LHR 10 times.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by brp
Same here, though on one occasion it took me well over an hour to make the T5->T3 connection, a large part of which was due to the family directly in front of me at security.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by booji
I have to mention that on a recent experience with LHR, I was quite dissatisfied with the security personnel at T5 who I thought were both rude and arrogant. First, as an EXP, I thought we were allowed to utilize the fast track line at T5 (came in on an AA flight TATL in J, transferred onto a domestic UK flight with BA with no CE)...
I do not think so.

EXPs do not have access to the Fasttrack lane at T5, that I know of.

I took this photo recently and it seems that Fast Track at Terminal 5 is only for BA and IB elites and pax flying Club or First Classes.

No mention of Oneworld status.

Old May 18, 2012, 9:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by richarddd
There is empirical data about such available to UKBA if it cares to do anything with it, but does UKBA really intend to do anything with it to reduce immigration wait times?

From my own experiences, the LHR T3 immigration wait times this year are far worse on average this year than they were in prior years. Amongst the latest excuses posted on the screens in the immigration wait area there: "industrial action".
Old May 18, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Mark_T
You can substitute virtually any international airport into the description and it would be accurate from time to time.

Not in SIN ! Even at peak typhoon season, HKG still manages ok.

Yeah but I do agree. LHR is bad. The security procedures also do not make sense. They have 2 entrances at T5 but will direct you to the farthest one just because your flight departs after a certain time. Wouldn't it logical to open both entrances at peak times?

Even though its new, LHR T5 for example, just does not make sense !
Old May 18, 2012, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I do not think so.

EXPs do not have access to the Fasttrack lane at T5, that I know of.

I took this photo recently and it seems that Fast Track at Terminal 5 is only for BA and IB elites and pax flying Club or First Classes.

No mention of Oneworld status.

Ah thanks for the photo; there is a magic security book that they have in the back offices that shows pictures of the all the elite cards that are allowed to use fast track for security at T5, in that book there is a picture of the AA EXP card but no AA PLT or AA GLD. I havent seen that sign before so thanks for posting it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.