Search

AAdvantage Miles booking on BA 777 or AA 767

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
AAdvantage Miles booking on BA 777 or AA 767

***I tried to find this in a search thread but was unable to***

I am trying to book a round trip ticket from JFK to Rome with miles for my mom and aunt. I want it to be the best possible trip for them. Anyone recommend what is a better experience? BA in business or first or AA in business? I don't think AA has a three-class into Italy. I have never flown BA so it's hard for me to compare - and the internet has too much varying info on seats.

I want the flight to be comfortable for my aunt who recently undergone knee surgery. Thanks for the help, info / insight.
Old May 6, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
AA's only three-class offerings to Europe currently are to LHR and DFW-MAD (for now). So if you're using OW to Italy and want F you'll have to change planes somewhere.

As for what's "nicest" I'd rank the premium cabins as:

BA F
AA F
BA J
AA J

If booking business you can also look at going via MAD on IB. Many here seem to like it though never having used IB I cannot comment myself.

Personally, I think that transatlantic F compared to J is a great value since it's only 25k more total miles per ticket vs. a paid J to F upgrade is 25k each way. However, be aware that BA has astronomical fuel surcharges when compared to AA and if neither has flown up front before then any of the possible experiences will be lovely. Were it me, I'd book AA F for this most likely as it seems like the best value when all is said and done. You'll also likely need to change planes somewhere since getting multiple J awards on the direct flights to Italy from NYC will probably be difficult unless you're booking with a lot of notice (doesn't sound like you are since you're still worried about recent surgery).

One final thing I'd caution you on if you choose BA J ex-JFK: this flight is mostly operated by 744s and you'll want to make sure that your mom and aunt do not get upper deck seats because of your aunt's knee (though the flight is probably nicer up there). Granted my grandparents once received an op-up to F due to mobility issues, but who knows what'll happen.
Old May 6, 2012, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you can get award seats in J on AA's JFK-FCO, I would take that. While F on AA or BA to LHR would be superior, a plane change would be required, and BA J from LHR to FCO will be far inferior to AA's J cabin and service on the nonstop.

Plus the flight from JFK to FCO is longer, and thus more conducive to getting a decent night's sleep.
Old May 6, 2012, 4:49 pm

AA First vs BA First

AA F or BA CW

AA F vs BA F

AArgh... I liked AA better than BA...

AA vs. BA F comprehensive comparison based on recent trip (linked in BA forum)

Comparison: BA J / Business vs AA F / First- please advise

Best First Class to LHR - AA / American or BA / British?

Palmer
Old May 6, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
The ~$1000 YQ in F on BA alone would steer me to AA. While BA's planes may be nicer, the amount I'd be saving in YQ far outweighs that.
Old May 6, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
AA's only three-class offerings to Europe currently are to LHR and DFW-MAD (for now). So if you're using OW to Italy and want F you'll have to change planes somewhere.

As for what's "nicest" I'd rank the premium cabins as:

BA F
AA F
BA J
AA J

If booking business you can also look at going via MAD on IB. Many here seem to like it though never having used IB I cannot comment myself.

Personally, I think that transatlantic F compared to J is a great value since it's only 25k more total miles per ticket vs. a paid J to F upgrade is 25k each way. However, be aware that BA has astronomical fuel surcharges when compared to AA and if neither has flown up front before then any of the possible experiences will be lovely. Were it me, I'd book AA F for this most likely as it seems like the best value when all is said and done. You'll also likely need to change planes somewhere since getting multiple J awards on the direct flights to Italy from NYC will probably be difficult unless you're booking with a lot of notice (doesn't sound like you are since you're still worried about recent surgery).

One final thing I'd caution you on if you choose BA J ex-JFK: this flight is mostly operated by 744s and you'll want to make sure that your mom and aunt do not get upper deck seats because of your aunt's knee (though the flight is probably nicer up there). Granted my grandparents once received an op-up to F due to mobility issues, but who knows what'll happen.
My wife, my son and I flew AA JFK - FCO a year and a half ago on a two class 76 in first/business (not sure what it was). Full or near full recline seats, F quality food, great service, tons of room. Much better than J in a three class 76 on AA.

Having said that, we flew JFK-LHR in J in February on a 777 in J and it was similar to the aforementioned JFK-FCO flight. Having said that, I booked an award ticket for my son to fly from DFW to GRU this past Friday and for an extra 2,500 miles I put him in F. He called from the plane and said it was much better than the flight to Rome in first class two class 76.

Having said that, going through LHR to FCO to take advantage of a 777 ride isn't worth it. A change/3-hour layover in Heathrow, then a flight to Rome on probably an A320 or something adds many hours to an already non stop 8 hour flight (from JFK, more from elsewhere). You're looking at 15 hours. Too much for Europe.

We also flew in Bus class on a two class A340 IB MAD to JFK two years ago. Excellent top notch typical Euro service. Food okay, entertainment primarily Spanish, etc. We enjoyed the difference, but we won't fly them again.
Old May 6, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
I agree with the non-stop 763 on AA. I dont like the AA763 at all but changing terminals at LHR is painful, especially since your guests may be getting up in years. Even if you took BA in a 777 in F to LHR, they're left with an LHR-FCO in what amounts to US domestic coach.
Old May 6, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by george 3
My wife, my son and I flew AA JFK - FCO a year and a half ago on a two class 76 in first/business (not sure what it was). Full or near full recline seats, F quality food, great service, tons of room. Much better than J in a three class 76 on AA.

Having said that, we flew JFK-LHR in J in February on a 777 in J and it was similar to the aforementioned JFK-FCO flight. Having said that, I booked an award ticket for my son to fly from DFW to GRU this past Friday and for an extra 2,500 miles I put him in F. He called from the plane and said it was much better than the flight to Rome in first class two class 76.

Having said that, going through LHR to FCO to take advantage of a 777 ride isn't worth it. A change/3-hour layover in Heathrow, then a flight to Rome on probably an A320 or something adds many hours to an already non stop 8 hour flight (from JFK, more from elsewhere). You're looking at 15 hours. Too much for Europe.

We also flew in Bus class on a two class A340 IB MAD to JFK two years ago. Excellent top notch typical Euro service. Food okay, entertainment primarily Spanish, etc. We enjoyed the difference, but we won't fly them again.
As you have figured out, there is a big difference between AA's 767-200 (762) and 767-300 (763) premium cabins. The 762 is used primarily on transcontinental routes and sold as three-class (usually). The 763 is primarily used on int'l (Europe/South America) routes sold as two-class (business/coach). The 762 as seen today was used on int'l routes in its current configuration (F slightly different) about 10-15 years ago but were pulled around the time the 763 went two-class and int'l business class pitch was increased from 50 to 60in. For the next five or so years the 762 and 763 had identical J seats but with more legroom/recline on the 763. Now, however, the 763 has a newer seat that is an angled lie-flat and shared with the 777 and 75L (smaller fleet of 757s used on int'l routes).

Your son was correct, the 777 has a much, much better seat in F than J, though you're likely right that taking it isn't worth an extra connection on a flight as short as JFK-Italy. However, I would ABSOLUTELY add the connection if it meant biz/first instead of coach (and actually elected to do it to get F on an upcoming ORD-LHR-CDG).
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Advice on SFO-FCO ticket for 2013 Summer

All,

I am planning for travel using award tickets for self & family(spouse and 2 kids) for 2013 summer(June/July). I have both AA and BA miles to use and was wondering what are my options.

I read that AA offers flights from JFK to Rome. I want to avoid BA if possible due to fuel surcharges but if nothing available, i will take it. May be SFO-LHR-FCO and coming back using AA metal(FCO-JFK-SFO).

One more question: Can i add a Maui connection to the return leg(think answer is No as I will be connecting in JFK or ORD but still want to hear from experts).
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by concordian

One more question: Can i add a Maui connection to the return leg(think answer is No as I will be connecting in JFK or ORD but still want to hear from experts).
You can add an OGG connection if you fly FCO-LHR-SFO on BA. Then fly SFO-OGG (via LAX, or on AS through another city.) That may be worth the fuel surcharge since you get a free ticket to OGG out of it.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
I thought u can add Hawaii only when you travel on AA. I don't think AA has any LHR-SFO.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I thought u can add Hawaii only when you travel on AA."

Not so. When you use an AA partner as the over-water" carrier, the ability to add a post-stopover destination depends on the published fares of the partner carrier.

Since BA award flights are now bookable on aa.com, you can easily check whether you can add a post-stopover leg to Hawaii by using the "multi-city" option on aa.com's award-booking engine.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by concordian
I thought u can add Hawaii only when you travel on AA. I don't think AA has any LHR-SFO.
Not true.. I have still have SFO-MIA-SJU left for travel in August. Last September I flew the first part of the return BKK-HKG-SFO on Cathay
Now trying to decide if I want to get a one way ticket from SJU with another stopover in SFO
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: all
Its hard to beat BA first but YQ on BA is not worth the difference between BA and AA
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1P, AA Plat
My BA flight yesterday was on a 744, older interior in F. It was a pretty awful interior, with years of built up fingernails and food in-between the armrest. Service was good.

If you get the new updated F on BA, its excellent. I was lucky to have that on the way across the pond on the new 777-300's. Very comfortable and high tech.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.