Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to primary card holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or some of the Citi Business cards.

The maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles per AAdvantage account. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Citi 10% miles back / rebate for award redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: Several
My experience was that the points posted immediately....and they even stayed there after I cancelled the award and switched the ticket to airberlin. This all happened around the same time I canceled the card as well, however I don't recall the exact dates. I'm pretty sure however that the points posted after I canceled the card because I was shocked to receive the 10% bonus.

I did have to pay the $150 change fee, but I wouldn't count on this happening a lot in the future.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Thanks - I had forgotten this promo. I redeemed 50,000 miles in July for September travel, but haven't seen any refund.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:23 am
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
Unless something has changed recently, I don't believe this is a benefit of the Citi AAdvantage World Elite Black card.
I've read the same thing.
Originally Posted by paradocs
I thought this ten percent back was just for the Citi AAdvantage Visa. Does it also apply to the Citi MasterCard and Amx? I retained the Visa, although I don't need that card otherwise.
I am not too sure about this. I thought it was for all Citi AA cards but have only see it mentioned in links for the Visa. I wonder if anybody has received the rebate for the Amex or MC?
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
My experience was that the points posted immediately....and they even stayed there after I cancelled the award and switched the ticket to airberlin. This all happened around the same time I canceled the card as well, however I don't recall the exact dates. I'm pretty sure however that the points posted after I canceled the card because I was shocked to receive the 10% bonus.

I did have to pay the $150 change fee, but I wouldn't count on this happening a lot in the future.
Wow- I am surprised you got to keep the rebate. At least it softened the blow of paying the $150 change fee!
Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
Thanks - I had forgotten this promo. I redeemed 50,000 miles in July for September travel, but haven't seen any refund.
Mine posted automatically. You should definitely contact the phone # on the back of your Citi AA card and see what they say about this!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by MichaelWTravels
I've read the same thing.

I am not too sure about this. I thought it was for all Citi AA cards but have only see it mentioned in links for the Visa. I wonder if anybody has received the rebate for the Amex or MC?

Wow- I am surprised you got to keep the rebate. At least it softened the blow of paying the $150 change fee!

Mine posted automatically. You should definitely contact the phone # on the back of your Citi AA card and see what they say about this!
Thanks for helping Michael! Maybe someone else knows if the rebate is for all Citi cards or just the Visa.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
It definitely works for MasterCard as well. My experience is similar to others: the 10% rebate posts a few days after the original deduction. And, if you cancel the award ticket, you keep the 10% rebate.

I think this is a great feature. I don't use this card much anymore, but to me, the value of the rebate far exceeds the annual fee, so this card's a keeper for me.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
I have the MC and Amex, no Visa and I have gotten the 10% rebate miles.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
My husband and I had the Amex, and we each got the 10% rebates last year. We are now downgrading our cards though I may decide to just cancel them, and then going to apply for new cards. Until the downgrade actually happens, we were told we still get all the benefits from our current Amex. I would like to book our mileage redemptions before the downgrade to get the 10% rebate, but I don't know if we can make our travel decisions in time.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:55 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
The T&Cs are pretty clear that you'll get up to 10k AAdvantage miles rebated for flight awards redeemed via AA.com
Not true at all. I booked a last minute AAward ticket on the phone w/ an EXP AAgent, and got the 10% rebate.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:00 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
On a separate, side-question, does the rebate apply only to redemption for AA flights using AA miles? Or does it apply to redemption for all flights using AA miles?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:06 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Originally Posted by uxb
On a separate, side-question, does the rebate apply only to redemption for AA flights using AA miles? Or does it apply to redemption for all flights using AA miles?
I believe all award flights. Our flight is on AA and JAL and the rebate showed up without issue.

Thanks everyone for verifying that the rebate works with Citi AA- Amex, Mastercard and Visa. This is what I thought was the case.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
So, should we contact AA/Citi about rebates from last year's awards that haven't come through? If so, who do we contact?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
I took a look at this page of citi offers:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...r-4&title=citi

I looked at the details of the mastercards, visa and amx. It is only on the Visa's page that it mentions:

"Earn 10% Back on Redeemed American Airlines AAdvantageŽ Miles"

None of the others include that wording. Then I called the number on the back of my Mastercard. The agent told me she didn't see it listed as a benefit.

Sounds like everyone's mileage may vary here. I wanted to cancel the Visa, but didn't want to take a chance that the MC may not work for miles back.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:58 am

How long did it take to get the rebate?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:08 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Originally Posted by nall
How long did it take to get the rebate?
I'd say within 2 weeks of booking my flight. Maybe less.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Does cap reset Jan 1?

Can anyone confirm if the cap resets Jan 1, as opposed to the anniversary date of the card, or April 1, or some other date? T&Cs say calendar year. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.